Dynaco tubes for me, too!!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by indy mike, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Well, seems to be Dynaco/Dynakit days around here! My MK II project is gathering steam (new caps, hum is going, going gone and I'm still cleaning), and a MK IV I won via Ebay arrived Wednesday - plug and play here for that one, just have to let 'er run for awhile and occasionally check the bias to see if it's steady - once that's for sure that the bias holds I'll dump the Chinese 5AR4 and Sovtek EL-34's and plug in the Mullard rectifier and Siemens EL-34's - it did come with the Dynaco 7199 (and that's the one that is allegedly gonna be gone kaput when playing Dr. Frankenstein - hmmmmmm - I'll watch it closely - got some NOS Sylvania's for that position just in case). Since I teach and school's done next Wednesday I'll report back with how those boys sound later - what to crank first - suggestions????

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Crank first? Something dynamic. Something you know really well. Something well mastered that you've heard many many times! :)

Please let us know............ have fun! :D

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Good boy. You normally don't have to worry that much, but it does pay to put in "test run" type tubes before you're sure it's solid.

Got Steve's "Pet Sounds"? ;) That's my choice. Your's might be VH.

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

I figure since the amp came via UPS I'd play it safe - it was packed like a brick and I was pleased, but I've seen how things get manhandled in transit... As for Pet Sounds, I'm a heathen - I'm more moved by the harmonies in Don't Worry Baby than what PS offers - guess I have a case of seriously arrested development. Hmmmm, Ice Cream Man from Van Halen ala Steve, perhaps the Phantom's blood curdling Love Me via Bear Family, perhaps Rave On From the Original Masters - mono should probably be used so I can flip the balance from solid state to tube and see/hear the difference...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.