Dynaudio Excite 14 how little power is enough?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gasolin, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I was speakers googling speakers and found on a danish website a brand new pair of Dynaudio excite 14 for 1/3 less than dynauido Emit M10.

Unfortunally i only have a Denon RCD M41dab and Mission QX2 (88db) nothing wrong with that, infact it sounds really good and reasonable loud with 88db speaker, since the excite 14 might only have a sensitivity of 83 db (stereophile) i might need 100 watt to play loud, which i don't have.

How good are the dynaudios, they don't seem to top the reviews like the emit 10/20 does.

How little is enought? I mean power and sensitivity is like a small tube amp and speakers like the famous rogers,kef or what ever brand has made there version of the famous bbc studio monitor LS3/a

Might not be enough for rock and electronic music

Dynaudio Excite X14 loudspeaker Measurements

Dynaudio Excite X14 review | What Hi-Fi?

2. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

40 wpc from my tube amp is fine with my X14's in a medium size room. Sensitivity's on the low side but still an easy load that doesn't dip below 6 ohms.

3. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I didn't buy the Excite X14, even when it's a very good price i couldn't see myself spending that kind of money when i have speakers that are not sold.

Last year or so i have older amps that might not have been working 100%(elektrolyt condensators being old), amps like nad 306,nad 32020e and i, technics su 8600,sansui au 317,denon pma 915r all 20years old, technis and sansusi 40+.

Today i just have denons rcd-m41dab but it's new a sound really good with good bass but only 2x30 watt i 6 ohm at 1khz.

I have tried a pair of Wharfedale diamond 225, back them i had one of the older amps, i wanted to tried them again, to use them longer and with a good new amp i didn't have a 20+ year old am (elektrolyt condensators being old)

That pair is one of the speaker that have been sold for a long time for a very good price

They are also low sensitive speaker, at 85db (rated at 87) Wharfedale Diamond 225 loudspeaker Measurements i was worried about having enough power good deal on some kimber kwik 16 so ididn't have to make a jumper cable to replace the metal brackets. Easy since i had exactly 12 banana plugs.

how do they sound and do i have enough power.

First of all i need slightly more sparkle in the high also midrange and less bass which i started to find a little to full bodied with some genres,music. (not fan of using eq,tone controls,recently upgraded to qed xt40)

How do they sound, not to bassy (i knew that), more subtle although they say it goes down to 40hz -6db it for shure doesn't sound like that, slightly more energy in the midrange and highs with a very good depth and soundstage, never gets harsh at normal loud levels 85-88db.

Enough power? With 88db speakers theres a little extra,with 85 db there just enough, even when 1 watt is 85db 2 watt is 88 db it's hard on my phone (sound meter) to reach over 88db, but it's enought, 83 db wouldn't be enough, even if the sound would be perfect for me the 83db from the excite X14 wouldn't be enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.