Dynaudio Special 40 -- thoughts or alternatives?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DueProcess, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DueProcess

DueProcess Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've been slowly assembling a 2ch system, specifically for listening to music (currently vinyl, but I might add a DAC in the future). I've assembled all the components aside from a new set of speakers, and I'm looking for some advice.

Source:
    Turntable: Marantz TT-15S1
    (with the stock Clearaudio Wood Virtuoso Cartridge)​
    Phono Stage: Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    (swapped to iFi iPower DC PSU)​
    Amplification:
    Preamp: Schiit Freya
    (swapped to Tung-Sol GTB 6SN7 tubes)​
    Power Amps: Schiit Aegir
    (x2, running monoblocks)​
    Cables:
    XLR: Canare L-4E6S (via Blue Jeans Cable)
    (MX-VYNL to Freya; Freya to Aegir(s))​
    Speaker: Canare 4S11 (via Blue Jeans Cable)
    I currently have a pair of Sony SS-CS3s, which I got on sale about 3-4 years ago. They've served me well, but as I've moved on from my previous equipment, I'd like to upgrade.

I'd prefer a pair of bookshelf speakers, as it's likely I'll be moving around in the next couple of years.

Budget: ~$3,500 (lower is better)

I've got my eyes on a pair of Dynaudio Special 40s, and I've reached out to a local dealer about them.

Any other suggestions?
    Anyone have the S40s and have some feedback? Re: power... They aren't an efficient speaker (86 dB); I've heard that, while they aren't necessarily difficult to drive, they're thirsty and like power. The Aegirs are rated for 80 wpc @ 8 ohms and 120 wpc @ 4, so I'd expect them to push about 100 watts to the Dynaudios (6 ohms). I have no issue pushing the Sonys (also 6 ohms, 88dB) to well beyond safe / reasonable listening levels, and haven't been able to listen at full volume. Thoughts on whether the Aegirs will be capable of driving the S40s satisfactorily -- should I look for something more efficient?

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  2. DueProcess

Whelp... lol.

In the event anyone else is considering a similar pairing, I pulled the trigger on the Special 40s, and I'll post back here with my thoughts once I've had a chance to break them in and really get a feel for them in my room / system.

3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I listened to these at a dealer a few months ago and thought they were great. They were paired with a 100 wpc Rogue Cronus Magnum that drove them effortlessly.

Bet you'll be very happy. What color did you get?

4. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

I listened to them at my dealer who had a demo pair for a great price. I also demoed Dali speakers and B&Ws. After long listening sessions (also at my home) I bought the B&W 705 S2 ...

5. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I've had the Specials for about a year now and they are incredible. It's about 400 hrs break but to be honest they sound great straight out the box. Like a fine wine they get better with age. Enjoy

TheKevster, DueProcess and warp2600 like this.
  6. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

I also heard them demoed last Fall with a Primare(Sp?) system. They were very impressive!
    I could not believe the Bass they were producing!!

Tawaun A Williams and warp2600 like this.
  7. Oliver Meyer

Me to. I got Primare amps also. A nice match

8. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I'm sure that the Special 40s are excellent speakers. Even the Excite x14s are great!

Scott

9. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

You shouldn't have any problems with the Aegirs driving the S40s, at all, I would expect. 80W of Class A power is LOT. Most Class A amplifiers are conservatively rated, and in actually, its the ability to swing current that is more important for driving a loudspeaker than watts, per se (current is what loudspeaker cables pass). My guess is the Aegir would laugh at the S40s even when playing at very loud SPLs.

I don't have the S40s, I have large Dyn floorstanders, Contour S3.4s that I've upgraded the tweeter to Esotar 2+. Dyns are impressive speakers, they are very neutral, but not at all cold or analytical-sounding. They will never drive you out of the room or induce listener fatique. You can listen to them for hours on-end. They also have very impressive "dynamic slam" and are exceptionally fast with respect to transients, and when scaling from piano to fortissimo, e.g. on classical recordings. They also never "break-up" even with the most demanding passages or content.

One thing you should be aware of, though, is they really do take time to break in. When Oliver Meyer said above that they need 400 hours of running in, he is not kidding. Also, while they may sound really good initially, there may come a period between 100 and 200 hours or so when they start to sound not very good at all. You just have to "hang tough" until they get past this point, because I've known a number of guys who bought Confidence C1s and during this phase, believed they would never get better once they got past 300 hours, and sold them before they got to 300 hours, only to regret it later. Ya just have to kind of "tough it out" in this phase. Once they get past 300 or 400 hours, though, its like a switch gets thrown and they become...glorious. The Dynaudio Esotar tweeter is one of the finest soft-dome tweeters made by anyone, and believe me, there are a LOT of loudspeaker manufacturers that would love it if Dyn allowed them to OEM Dyn drivers again (Dyn used to, but stopped OEMing drivers to other companies). Wilson, Vienna Acoustics, and EgglestonWorks all used to OEM drivers from Dynaudio, and IIRC, Totem (?) used to, as well.

Overall, congrats, I think you made an excellent decision. I think you will be very happy with them, but be mindful that you'll give them the time they need to break in.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  10. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

Howdy neighbor!
    Were you at the Domes demo last Fall?

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  11. DueProcess

I opted for red. ...Nothing against they grey, but I think they'll bring a little more energy to the space.

Well, this is encouraging. I figured I'd be safe, but I had a little bit of lingering doubt there.

That's consistent with what I've heard elsewhere. I believe the sound was described as good to start -- if a bit thick and heavy --, transitioning to a more hollow, even fragile presentation around 100+ hours, before filling back out and coming into its own later on. I'll be patient!

TheKevster likes this.
  12. Oliver Meyer

Yes

Wolverine 05 likes this.
  13. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

The red are STUNNING. I am very envious, I would love to have a pair, but I would love a pair of Harbeth 30.1s as well. Decisions, decisions.

Yep, just hang in there during the break-in, its possible they will be so "uncomfortable-sounding" that you will second-guess your decision. Just have the discipline to hang in there. As I've mentioned, I've known 7 or 8 guys that have bought C1s that sold them before they got to the magic 300 hour mark, only to really regret it later.

When they get there, they will be AMAZING.

TheKevster likes this.
  14. TheKevster

TheKevster Forum Resident

I bought a pair of S40s at the end of last year. I was was looking for new speakers and my dealer lent me Neats, ATCs, PMCs... all had qualities but none quite hit the spot. Then I was offered a pair of red Special 40s on home demo for a few weeks. I have to say it was love at first hear. Fast, fun, exciting, incredibly detailed, great boogie factor. And the bass! Incredible! I hit the button very quickly.

Mine are grey (not as striking but better WAF) and I absolutely LOVE them. They work extremely well with my Naim "olive" electronics and though they are £2,500 a pair I have to say I think they represent exceptional value for money. I can't see myself changing them for a very long time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I'm so envious, Kev. Also, great to see all those LPs!

TheKevster likes this.
  16. Oliver Meyer

How are you enjoying the speakers?

Puma Cat likes this.
  17. DueProcess

I've got about 40 hours on them, so I'd imagine the sound is expected to change a bit, but so far, I like them.

The detail (and, with it, control) and imaging is superb.

18. Oliver Meyer

Play around with the placement. It took me a while to find the ideal spot for them but it was worth it.

TheKevster likes this.
  19. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Picked up a pair yesterday. In grey. Gorgeous.

Right out of the box they sounded great.

I have less than 10 hours on them so far and keep shaking my head about how good they sound.

And I’m told it can take LOTS of hours before they finally settle in.

20. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Dyns take a long time to break in, but it's well worth the patience. They will at times sound worse for a day or two so don't get discouraged when that happens. My Dyns took 500-600 hours before they sounded consistent. The S40s shouldn't take as long though. Maybe 300-400 hours.

When I first had my Dyns, I played them 24/7 for the first few weeks, even when it was just at low volume over night. I played them louder during the day when I was at work.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  21. Oliver Meyer

Realistically it could take 4 to 6 months before you really break them in. In that time there will be highs and lows. Persevere and you will be blown away.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  22. Oliver Meyer

As I mentioned previously placement is really important.
    I have them several feet away from walls with a slight toe in. It's taken me some time to perfect the placement.
    I highly recommend furniture moving pads so it's easy to move them around.

23. DueProcess

Granted it's an unfair comparison, seeing as how the Sonys I had prior retail for a fraction of the price of the Dyns, but...

I'm amazed at how much louder the Dyn's sound at such lower listening levels. I find myself listening at levels 10-15 dBs lower than before, and the music still sounds more dynamic and has more punch.

Interestingly, I was using Freya's tube stage with the Sonys, and I greatly preferred it to the passive one in that arrangement. With the Dyns, I keep switching Freya to passive mode, and the last couple days, I've left it there.

When running the Sonys... I felt the tube stage provided extra depth and width to the soundstage, and it gave the sound a more pleasant (almost "liquid"-esque) presentation with greater dynamics.

But, with the Dyn's the passive stage seems to have a wider soundstage; it feels more open and more crisp, and the sound is more detailed and transparent (compared to the tube stage). While the nature of the sound isn't as warm as it would be coming from the tubes, it's still not harsh, and it feels simultaneously more precise and dense, as if there's more of the music and less bloat.

I suppose the Sonys just didn't have the capacity to produce the detail the Dyns do, which (when running the Dyns) makes the transparent nature of the passive stage more evident, and the S40s take advantage of it. Where the Sonys relied on the tube stage to compensate for lacking dynamics or tonality, the Dyn's can stand independently in that regard -- their sound is musical enough on its own -- and the additions the tube stage brings (i.e. distortion / eq) become a hindrance(? -- not the best term, the tubes don't sound bad!)... they cover / smooth some of the detail the passive stage lets through, and that transparency in the passive stage allows the S40s to conjure up enough detail to render more depth to the sound.

Certainly, whether one enjoys the effects of the different output stages on the nature sound or not is subjective, and both output stages sound excellent through the S40s overall...

But, I thought the change in stage preference when just swapping speakers was interesting. I would have expected the tube / passive output stage preference to remain consistent across both speakers... I suppose that logic is underestimating the effect of the speakers on the sound, but the fact that the output stages seem to have opposite effects on the sound's presentation when the speakers are swapped was surprising.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Like new set of Dynaudio Special 40 in grey listed for $2200 on USAM today. Not sure what they are typically going for new, there was a sale at Amazon for $2399 a couple weeks ago with free shipping, so maybe it's not a great deal for a used set, but does include shipping and paypal.

25. DueProcess

My understanding is that's a good price. The Amazon sale for $2399 was a one day "Gold Box", I believe... I missed it by a couple hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.