Dynaudio Special 40 -- thoughts or alternatives?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DueProcess, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timind

timind phorum rezident

@SirMarc, curious if you've tried a different amp?

edit: never mind

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

So Dynaudio determined the drivers were bad or?...

3. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Honestly, I feel like they half assed it and just replaced the woofers. I looked up the two guys who were helping me, and one was a logistics manager, and the other was a sales manager. I never even spoke to a tech, and to be honest I have my doubts they even bench tested them.

I was very disappointed, and if I didn't love the Dynaudio house sound so much, I'd probably look elsewhere when I upgrade

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Helom likes this.
  4. SwitcherooU

SwitcherooU Well-Known Member

Sorry we couldn’t help you. I’ve never pushed mine that hard, but I can’t imagine it’s a common problem. Dynaudio seems to have pretty good QC.

Not to reopen this discussion, but was it both speakers? If so, that’s very odd.

SirMarc likes this.
  5. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

@SirMarc Sorry to hear about that. I've never encountered the popping issue with loud volume with my Dyns, my good friend who introduced me to Dynaudio used to have X34's, and he also never had that issue (at least to my knowledge). Hope it gets sorted out.

SirMarc likes this.
  6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Nope, just one. At first, they were telling me they couldn't replicate the problem, which was BS I think, because I easily got the speaker to do it with another amp.

When I didn't hear from them for a week, I looked the two guys up and found out they weren't even techs. I was so pissed, I was gonna call them up and flip out, and then try to get a hold of someone at the headquarters in Denmark.

Just before I was gonna call, I got an email that they replaced the woofers in both speakers and were getting them out that day, so I left it alone. Ugh...

7. SwitcherooU

SwitcherooU Well-Known Member

Well...at least you know it’s not the woofers!

For the record, my guess is the crossover.

8. Randy McCall

Randy McCall Active Member

I am 60 plus and my ears are not what they used to be., nor am I an expert on all the equipment thats out there. I simply trust my ears as being the best judge of whats what - and I like the Dynaudio Special 40's compared to what I sampled. They are a keeper for me - I have had mine for 2 weeks. Initially when I unboxed them and set aside my Kudos C10 monitors (which are also standmount speakers) - I was immediately disappointed and felt like returning them. As a side note: I like the standmount speakers paired with a quality subwoofer combination. I have this connected to a Perreaux amp/preamp and also a switchable Cayin At-88 integrated tube amp, HQ digital and HQ vinyl source material. The sound was much less forward than the Kudos, however over time, I found I could listen to them for hours and hours whereas the Kudos tired me out after an hour. I like both speakers but all I can say to you is that the 40's are still connected. Perhaps it depends on what you play and how long you listen to make that final decision if they are right for you. Right now pricing is attractive as I think they may be clearing this to make room for a new product line. Shop around.

AndyCC72 and NOS300B like this.
  9. Yamahaha

Yamahaha Sir Pepe of LePew

Dynaudio - take care of the speaker pop. Any high end co that lets issues exist is dead to me. Not affiliated, just believe high end means NO ISSUES. EVER. Should issue arise best erase it for your own good.

10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Weird thing is it's never happened again. Maybe when I got them back and was listening, I mistook the pop for a loud rim shot? Weird...

11. Yamahaha

So it was or was not an issue with the speaker?

12. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

What is a loud rim shot?

13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

When the drummer either purposely or by mistake hits the rim of the snare or tom

14. emanko

emanko New Member

Can some recommend a verified and good Amp that works with Special 40’s, please?.

I am looking for a good soundstage while listening to rock, dance and rap music. I’d also like to have a 3D sound around the speaker area with musical sound coming from all around the speaker. I am aware a lot of it is placement but if you have experience with gear (brand/dad) already that also achieves that, it would be helpful. From my research Hegel and some tube amps achieve that.

Honestly there is so much to choose from:

Around or a little above $1000 I was hoping Cambridge CXA81 would work, PS Stellar, Peachtree or Yamaha S801-1100.

Closer to $2000 there is Rega Elex-R, NAD C388 and perhaps Parasound A23+.

Between $2000-4000 the are the Hegel H190, Rega Elicit-R, the new $2999 Rega Aethos that is 150 @ 6ohm among other amps like Vincent and many Naid Amps which I read work great with Dynaudios.

I am thinking about buying in one go and paying it off each month, so higher price is okay but if the CX81 will give me for $800 what Elex-R gives me for $2000, it rather go the cheaper route.

And just to throw a crazy one out there, I wonder if the highly regarded Outlaw R2160 Stereo Reciever giving 110W to 8ohms would be a good start as it would be more for the 6Ohm 40. This thing is just $849.

Lastly, I never tried a D class amp such as PS Audio or the RR so I have no clue what it would sound like.

15. Yamahaha

Seems to be a constant supply of Special 40's on the used market especially in grey

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I've noticed this too. Safe and Sound also selling some as open-box.

17. Taliesin

Taliesin Forum Resident

The Belles Aria integrated pairs well with the 40s.

18. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Special 40’s vs. the new Evoke 20?

19. Taliesin

Taliesin Forum Resident

That’s a common question up here in Canada. Unfortunately it’s unanswered.

Ivand likes this.
  20. Taliesin

Taliesin Forum Resident

But since their introduction, they really have come down in price.

21. Taliesin

Taliesin Forum Resident

And...they happen to look spectacular!

mreeter and SirMarc like this.
  22. Taliesin

Taliesin Forum Resident

Hi Oliver,
    Would you give us a better idea of a long time? I’m at 100 hours with my 40s.

23. Taliesin

Taliesin Forum Resident

Btw, in my experience, break in is real. 300hrs for quality speakers or amps is not uncommon. Sometimes night and day but at a minimum, from good to great!

24. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

It can be anywhere from 100 to 300. A whole year of using them and they are spectacular.

mreeter and timind like this.
  25. Taliesin

Taliesin Forum Resident

Thank you Oliver,
    These are replacing my 9 year old Harbeth SHL5s. The mids and highs are better. Such a big sound from a small box.

mreeter, Oliver Meyer and Ivand like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.