Dynaudio Special 40 -- thoughts or alternatives?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DueProcess, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yamahaha

Yamahaha Sir Pepe of LePew

There is no such thing as L and R sub bass by the time it reaches your ears

Tim 2 and yodog like this.
  2. rexaroonie

rexaroonie Forum Resident

Do you think the Special 40's will work in a 15 x 17 x 8 room?

Oliver Meyer and yodog like this.
  3. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Yes most definitely

MC Rag likes this.
  4. mmhifi

mmhifi Forum Resident

Have great success with ATC SCM11 v2. Beside beautiful sound and practically unrestricted dynamics and loudness these speakers have
    great reliability reputation and tweeters don't use ferrofluid cooling so they have virtually infinite lifetime.
    Blown tweeters are common illness of most speakers. ATC are rare exclusion.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  5. DueProcess

DueProcess Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Isn't the point of multiple subs about timing and distribution / saturation (for lack of better terms) -- attempting to balance / cancel peaks and nulls d/t the room -- not L/R channels?

6. Yamahaha

Not that I'm aware of. Seen many people chase this rabbit hole and listening to their systems as a guest has never been enjoyable. Maybe someone has nailed it but in my experience people spend an awful lot of $ to overbass their room and eventually succumb to the fact timing had been off the entire time

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. DueProcess

I'm thinking of going the Rythmik route... Most likely an E15, to fill in below the 40s and extend below 20hz.

There's a part of me that wants to go for 2 F8s (and a sublime acoustics k231) and high pass the S40s at ~175hz, but that would cost considerably more (then someday get a 15 inch sub just for the low-low end). Cost aside, the high xo (175hz or so) with this setup would allow me to completely get around the null caused by SBIR (room is too small to avoid with the S40s full range).

Anyone have first hand experience with E15 or F8?

8. DueProcess

Ended up going w. a Rythmik G22 (piano black). I will post back with impressions once it arrives, as there doesn't appear to be much feedback on it out there yet.

BZ58 and timind like this.
  9. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yes, that is the point. Not stereo bass. Plenty of info online about this.

If a system is boomy or there is just too much bass, the sub(s) simply were not integrated properly. This can happen with two subs, one, or even none!

10. Hawkeye20

Hawkeye20 Well-Known Member

I like the look of these speakers, but would struggle to place them the recommended 50 cm out into the room due to furniture etc.

I only listen at low to medium volumes.

Would this speaker still sound ok closer to the wall - say 25/30 cm, possibly using the bungs ?

Oliver Meyer and MC Rag like this.
  11. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Don't know about the 40s but I had contour 1.1s on wall brackets so only about 6 inches from the wall and they sounded great, fabulous bass and no boom. Great at low volume. This was in a brick constructed 16 x 14 x 7 room.

12. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Wondering if anyone has these 40s who previously owned any of the earlier Contour series eg. 1.3s, thoughts?

13. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

The guy who runs the audio store I bought mine from has his close to the wall on a shelf and loves them. I think you’ll be fine.
    I’ve heard these speakers with a few different amps and the best I’ve heard them was with a Rogue Audio tube pre and power amp.

Wolverine 05 likes this.
  14. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Yes it’ll work just fine. In my opinion the contour series sounds better with the bungs versus the special 40 with the bungs. I think the s40 is best with no bungs at all whereas the contour i would say it’s a toss up and depends on your equipment and stuff

15. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

loving the new Black Vine veneer

[​IMG]

Tim 2, jmadad, Noel Patterson and 3 others like this.
  16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Damn, me too!

17. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I know! I don't even need speakers I have Dali Fazon F5s & System Audio SA2K Masters (considered similar to Dynaudio 1.3se by some reviews) but I might need to get these Special 40s in Black Vine.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  18. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I heard them w a Rogue CM and liked them a lot. Didn't think they were really better than my Vapor Breeze tho. Like the red, grey and new black vine finishes, very nice looking speakers.

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I love the rosewood veneer on my X44's, but that finish is in another league of sexy

Oliver Meyer and MC Rag like this.
  20. Yamahaha

I had Special 40's for about 2 weeks. I like the dyn sound. But the peaks on the 40 are real. Dont even need measurements. sweep tones and you will hear it. Its insane. Of course Stereophile measured and this guy for those who want to see data

Tim 2 and Bill Mac like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Very interesting video. I've heard of Danny Richie but never actually knew who he was or that he is GR Research. The video is quite alarming for anyone that paid $3k for the special 40s.

22. talpalo

talpalo Active Member

Hey Men

I just got a pair of SP40 and I'm wondering if they will work with a Naim Nait 2 Olive. I just read that you run them with Naim Olive amp so maybe you can help me.
    Thanks for any help

Jorge

23. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

So has anyone put some Hi Rez inside the speakers yet? I’m curious how much was necessary. Also in the Stereophile review they used inverted BDR cones to solve a lot of the issues.

Wolverine 05 likes this.
  24. LLou_SFX

LLou_SFX Well-Known Member

Hello a bit late on this thread but I have been reading some stuff about these Special 40 edition… I am surprised by the huge amp power suggested by some people. Do you listen this loud ? I have these speakers with a Pass Lab INT25 - so rated only 25 W under 8ohms and 50 under 4 ohms and I can achieve a good volume level at about 80% of my amp.
    Sure it depends of room size, source material etc… but really I am wondering why people advice so powerful amps.
    I mean for everyday listening do you listen above 80 db at 3 / 4 meters away !?
    I someone has a clue… ?
    Have a nice day

On_the_dunes and RockAddict like this.
  25. LLou_SFX

LLou_SFX Well-Known Member

I shall add that I have plenty of details and good dynamics, overall excellent performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.