Dynaudio Special Forty

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oliver Meyer, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here Thread Starter

You are exactly right. They are easy to drive. They can handle lots of power and thrive.

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nice speakers! Congrats:)

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  3. Oliver Meyer

Thanks. They're really starting to open up the more hours I put on them. Have a PS audio AC12 power cord coming today. Can't wait to see if improves my amp

Manimal likes this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I don't know about the Special 40 tweeters, but the Esotar2 tweeters (In Special 25, Contours, Confidence and up) take a looong time to break in. 300-400 hours. I stream internet radio to my new Confidence day and night when I'm not otherwise listening, just to get through that. And if the 40s are anything like the Esotar2 the break-in is a SQ roller coaster, some days sounding wonderful and other days making you wonder why you bought the damn things.

5. Oliver Meyer

The reps told me 100 hours. I'm doing the same playing long playlists to break them in quicker.
    I did feel like 100 hours want very long but time will tell

6. Josquin des Prez

The Special 40 tweeter might be different. When I upgraded my Contour S3.4 with new Esotar2 tweeter some years ago it took 300-400 hours for them to break in and sound consistant. I am now ten days into my new speakers, which have two Esotar2 tweeters each. I would like to get them fully run in before I take my XMas break this year.

7. Oliver Meyer

From the dynaudio site

• Esotar Forty
      The new Esotar Forty tweeter maximises airflow for even more refinement, while its low resonant frequency smooths the transition to the woofer

Not sure if this is the same tweeter as yours

8. Josquin des Prez

No, the Esotar 40 is not the same as the Esotar2. There is a video on the Dynaudio website where they talk about it.

9. Oliver Meyer

I'll check it out. Thanks

10. Oliver Meyer

They blew me away. My first time hearing them last week and I had to have them. They were up against Klipsch herresy and big horns JBL 100s Totem Martin Logan. They were by far the best

11. Oliver Meyer

Just got used Primare Pre32 & A34.2 with the MM30 digital board. Wow they make these speakers sing. Staggered at how good this combo is.
    Bass is stunning, sound stage something else.
    I'm a very happy man right now

SirMarc and layman like this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

There's a grey set advertised "as new" on Canuck Audio Mart today for a little under $2300 USD.

13. Oliver Meyer

Get them

ubiknik likes this.
  14. TheKevster

TheKevster Forum Resident

I have a pair of Special 40s on home dem at the moment (being driven by a Naim 72 - Naim Hi-Cap - Naim 250) and @Oliver Meyer I'm blown away by them as well. I also tried ATC SCM11s and 19s and PMC 25/21s and these S40s, while more expensive, sound sensational on a wide variety of material, from Bobbie Gentry to Miles Davis via Black Sabbath and Ese & The Vooduu People. Better than either the ATCs or PMCs. Wonderful detail and bass, they're fast and fun.

Beefystewy, Oliver Meyer and Manimal like this.
  15. StevenZ

StevenZ Forum Resident

How are you guys liking these speakers still? Looking to buy some for my office.

16. Oliver Meyer

I've surpassed the 400 hour break in and they are sensational. Get them and be patient through the break in period. It's worth it. You can get them with stands for $3000. Great deal

Mad shadows, SirMarc and TheKevster like this.
  17. TheKevster

TheKevster Forum Resident

Still loving them, even more than a few months ago...

SirMarc likes this.
  18. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

At AXPONA this year I was totally impressed with the Dynaudio Confidence 20 standmounts. Incredible sound and so unexpected for their size. Downside - it sets you back $12K.

19. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I wish Dynaudio still sold speaker drivers like they used to. I would like to be able to buy their woofers and tweeters from Madisound.

Scott

20. StevenZ

StevenZ Forum Resident

There seems to be quite a few folks elsewhere on the internet who are unhappy with the cabinet resonance. How are you guys dealing with it or are others possibly blowing it out of proportion?

yodog likes this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

I have a pair of Esotar2 tweeters for sale. They are the ones found in the Confidence line and higher. I used them to upgrade my Contour S3.4, but I restored those speakers to stock and sold them.

22. Oliver Meyer

Not been an issue for me. These speakers continue to blow me away.

TheKevster likes this.
  23. Rothwea

Rothwea Active Member

Exactly my impression too. I was staggered both by the performance and the price. Has anyone else heard these?

24. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

The so-called speaker mid-range resonance “issue” is courtesy of a Stereophile reviewer. He says he detected it using a stethoscope.

Really.

A stethoscope.

Yikes.

Outstanding speakers (based on listening to music via just my ears)

25. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

I am a long time lover of Dynaudio speakers. Just 2 months ago I made the jump to the Confidence C1 Platinums and they are amazing. I hear the Confidence 20's at AXPONA as well. I was talking to my local dealer that also happens to be the largest volume seller of Dynaudio in the US according to themselves. They Dynaudio CEO was visiting them 2 weeks ago and brought up the 15 month delay (so far) in shipping the new Confidence. Apparently what everyone has heard at AXPONA and other events have been prototypes. They are supposedly having difficulty with cabinet manufacturing for them and it is holding up the worldwide launch. They didn't provide anymore detail. If I had to guess it has to do with the composite front baffle. They are too expensive for my budget now anyway. The C1 Platinum gets me about 95% of the way there anyhow and I am very pleased with them.

There has been a long Dynaudio special 40 discussion over at the AVS forums if you are interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.