Dynavector introduces new cartridge models 10x5 mk2, and Karat 17DX

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Apologies, was going on my memory - dug out my receipt and I too got the 20% discount.

2. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Grado doesn’t make MC cartridges.

3. Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy Active Member

I love the 10x5, but the one thing I don't like about it is the elliptical stylus. The 10x5 MkII with a Shibata stylus may be exactly what the doctor ordered because of it's increased tracking ability.

I don't think my 10x5 tracks terribly, the vast majority of my records it tracks fine. Every album I have where it mistracks there is sibilance present in the recording. I am also aware that, while the new Shibata stylus will definitely help me with tracking, it won't track every one of these challenging records (some of these records I've played on a VM540 ml, and while the Microline does do better even it won't track everything).

The question I have is, in the rare instances where there is sibilance caused by my elliptical stylus, is that damaging my records? That may influence me to trade in for this new MkII sooner than later. (I am confident that my set up is fine)

If it isn't causing serious damage I would rather wait because I still have probably another 3 years on my current 10X5.

4. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

current 20X2L owner... was going to naturally move up to XX2 but now think 17DX.

Any notes on either would be appreciated.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

Xx2 is a bigger, warmer sound than the 17dx. The 17 is more linear and very fast. Both are a lot more dynamic and neutral than the 20x, which sounds darker and softer than either.
    Bill

iluzun and Dylan Terhune like this.
  6. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

Thank you - very insightful. Seems the XX2 is a more natural step up from the 20X

When all said and done I may get both and rotate.

KT88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.