E-Onkyo Music Download Store Is Closing 10/6/19

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by moomoomoomoo, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

This is bad news. On a few select items, they had by far the best pricing. They are owned by 7 digital, so the selection will still be out there, but not some of the prices.

[​IMG]

Reese likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I hate to see online stores like this close but TBH 7Digital kind of sucks for customer service IME. The other thing was that the Japanese Onkyo download store had much more stuff that you couldn't get on the U.S. site. If there was an easy way to make that stuff available to U.S. customers I probably would've been more apt to use the Onkyo store.

JasonA likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

I don't like the layout of Onkyo USA, but have never needed to contact CS.

4. moomoomoomoo

I just spent some time browsing & picked up 5 exclusives (at least exclusive in the sense of lossless or hi res). It looks like they haven't received any new titles in at least 3 weeks. There were 2 more I wanted that they didn't have.

24 bit:
    Patti Rothberg - Anywhere (Original Soundtrack) $10.49
    Shari Ulrich - Back To Shore $14.99 (I had the 16 bit, but no one else has it in 96/24)

16 bit:
    Patti Rothberg - Come Back Tomorrow $1.29
    Patti Rothberg - Ulterior Motives $12.99 (I've only seen this in mp3 previously)
    Lisa Loeb - All the Young Dudes $2.49 (I've only seen this in mp3 previously)

I'm sure I'll do more looking before they shut down. The way their site is laid out you kind of have to know what you're looking for; & with a site like this I'm looking for surprises (which these were).

Unfortunately Onkyo & the also long dead Pono by far were the lowest priced on many items. It's really hard to justify HDT's prices.

5. moomoomoomoo

Found one more I couldn't resist: Ian Tamblyn - Instrumentals 44/16 $5.99

6. ACS

ACS Member

7. ACS

ACS Member

I am not surprised this service is being withdrawn. I have been a member and supporter of Onkyo music since 2011, pre Hi-Res files and I had an extensive library of purchased files. These were ALL removed without any notice issued by Onkyo Music. While I understood it was my responsibility to download my purchases I failed to do this for all. Therefore lost a large amount of tracks. That being said with the birth of Hi-Res over later years, I have pretty much replaced all the tracks I previously had, albeit to the cost of my wallet.

Since the beginning of 2019 I have had to contact Onkyo Music multiple times to report issues with poor Hi-Res downloads that were only apparent to the ear when listening via Hi-Res headphones. All my reports were reviewed and I was provided with replacement files / substitutes for the same value or if reported within the first few weeks offered a refund. Although happy with the outcome failed to understand why so many files were of poor quality being provided by the record labels.

I also fail to understand why Onkyo Music repeatedly removed purchased Hi-Res albums from my account without notice, sometimes only having been purchased a few weeks previous. I have found this to be frustrating as when using the online Onkyo App there were gaps in my online library. Which makes me wonder with the closing of Onkyo Music will the Onkyo HF Player App also be retired?

While I will be sorry to see Onkyo Music close, as they always seemed to be the one place I could find 24bit 192khz versions of the albums i wanted at decent prices. I am not surprised they are closing due to all the issues that I have been having with my purchased content being of poor quality or removed by record labels without reason.

To be honest I have been using Qobuz for the last 6 months and always ensure that I download all my purchased Hi-Res albums. I keep them safe across multiple hard drives to ensure I always retain a copy. So far nothing has been removed from my account or have i identified any issues with the files.

Onkyo Music RIP

patient_ot likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wished I had bought more from the Pono store when I could. They had an amazing selection of stuff that I couldn't find anywhere else in lossless, particularly more obscure major label backcatalog stuff and indie label releases that were long OOP. To me that was the real value of Pono.

HDT I only buy from with coupons, otherwise the prices are too high. Some of Qobuz's prices are almost the same as with buying from HDT with 20% coupon, though I wouldn't be surprised if Qobuz eventually raises prices a bit as time goes on.

If anyone needs a good hi-rez app for Android I can recommend Neutron. It has a bit of a learning curve because of the multitude of options but I've had better luck with it than almost every other Android music app I've tried.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Did you double check the tracks to make sure they weren't upsampled lossy/mp3?

10. moomoomoomoo

I always do several back ups. Though I can see why one would trust Onkyo's available forever policy. A couple other (amazon & I THINK Bandcamp) claim to offer similar. Ironic, most of the issues I've had with low quality files have been from HDT. They don't seem to use a custom flac encoder that doesn't follow the official standards which my Oppo 95 is very picky about.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

I haven't had time, but good idea. I think part of the issue is previous availability was Amazon & CD Baby both who are MP3 only.

Per Trader's Little Helper, both are CDDA 100% certainty. I so wish TLH would come out with a full 24 bit version.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I can tell you from experience with Bandcamp is that there is no absolute "forever" with them. If an artist or label pulls a release or their entire account, your purchase will be gone from your "collection" and you can't download it anymore. In some cases it may stay in your streaming account anyway in the mobile app. Best thing to do is DL right away and backup.

13. moomoomoomoo

Bought 3 more flac singles & 2 16 bit flac albums that seem to only be available in mp3 elsewhere including Onkyo's "parent" 7 digital. Hopefully 7 digital will move the flacs over there; they have a number of titles that are mp3 only. Since CD Baby went mp3 only, some of the indy artists are really hard to find in lossless or on cd.

Tonight's haul was 2 Paula Cole singles, 1 Sarah Masen single, a Patti Rothberg & Sean Altman (I have no clue who he is) album, & a Dan Reed live album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.