EAC & dBpoweramp Users – Which do you use/prefer & why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Batears52, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member Thread Starter

A few more...and again, thanks for your help!!

I see that the default setting in dBpoweramp is to report Track numbers this way: "1/17", "2/17", "3/17", etc. (as in "track 1 of 17"). I've never done this before - in EAC, I always had "01", "02, "03". How do you do track numbers?

Same question on disc numbers. dBpa wants to put "1/1" on all single disc sets or "1/2" on double CDs, etc. I've always had individual sub-folders for each disc & just numbered them accordingly. How do you do disc numbers?

Artist folders: I want songs by The Beatles to be displayed as "The Beatles" when I play them - but I'm not too crazy about naming their artist folder that way. Same goes for Paul McCartney. How do you handle artist folders vs. the tags when you rip? For groups with "The" ... and for individual artists. Are your folders named "The Beatles" & "Paul McCartney"...or "Beatles, The" & McCartney, Paul?

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have both, but I always use dBpoweramp for converting files.

3. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The dBpoower amp approach. I like the tags to have that total track info, and I've gone back to update my older EAC rips' metatag to be the same.

The dBpa way. I want my metatags to tell me as much as possible about the album.

"The Beatles" left as is in the tags, because most media player software can ignore the word "The" when listing. Folder name would omit it- it would be something like Beatles - 1968 - The White Album [2009 EMI Remaster]

My folders would be named "Beatles" and "Paul McCartney". So when I need to get to their album in a huge directory of 1,000s of albums, I can type the few few letters (e.g. BEAT or PAUL) to navigate there quickly.

Just my personal preference.

4. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Go to the Ripper Options/Meta Data Options and you can configure them any way that you want.

Track:
    01/09
    1/9

I always use 01/09

Same thing for date:
    2001 12 31 (what I use)

Disc number:
    01/02 (what I use)

and the option to have it in the title or not:
    <Title> - Disc1

(I never have it in the title. Use seperate sub-folders)

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Why do some CDs display "hidden first track" when dbpoweramps grabs the track listing from the internet? I'm pretty sure that most of them don't have it (I've researched some of the titles)

6. Batears52

Scott,

How do you get each disc in a multi-disc set into individual sub-folders below the album folder?

Meta Data Options > Multi-CD Add Disc To Album: Do you set this to "Never" or do you create something like "[album] \ Disc [discnum]"?

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If the album title has "disc 1" or "disc 2" etc. , it should automatically create a new folder under the Artist name folder.

8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

IIRC, this is the default method.

You might could add [disc] or [discunique] to the naming scheme, but I haven’t tried this. It seems to me it would always add /01/ to the folders even for single discs, which would not make me happy, since most albums are single disc.

I do it manually because I don’t want the disc number in the title.

9. Batears52

This is my Naming string:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [IFCOMP][artist] - [][title]

Using Spoon's example in the software...

It does exactly what I want for single-disc artist albums: Madonna \Immaculate\05 Holiday

It does exactly what I want for a single-disc various artists album: Various Artists\Immaculate\05 Madonna - Holiday

But for a multi-disc artist album, it does this: Madonna\Immaculate, Disc 1\05 Holiday

And a multi-disc various artists album it would be: Various Artists\Immaculate, Disc 1\05 Madonna - Holiday

I've tried a couple several different selections in the Meta Data Options, but no luck so far. Ideally, I would want each disc in a multi-disc set to have its own sub-folder under the album folder. (And I have to admit, I don't really understand how to read/construct/interpret the coding in the Naming string & that doesn't help. I've been doing that part by trial & error!)

Dexter

10. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

The poll is somewhat closer than I expected.

EAC for me was a complete-non starter from the word go, and six weeks later dbPoweramp is still going strong and whilst I still haven't got round to mastering its more intricate possibilities, it suits my basic needs perfectly.

I'm guessing some of those who voted for EAC just struck lucky first time round and didn't feel the need to try out dbPoweramp as well...

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Both for me. I used EAC for a long time before I discovered dbPowerAmp. It much easier to use but sometimes chokes on really abused CDs I sometimes get at thrift stores. The error reporting is better in EAC. It also lets you listen to the errors. Most of the time I can't hear it, so I'm OK with less that a bit perfect rip. I've bought some discs so bad that even EAC can't rip them and just freezes.

12. Batears52

Here's the Naming string if you want to create a sub-folder under the album folder for each disc in a multi-disc set - and it appears to work:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc]\[][track] [IFCOMP][artist] - [][title]

Now that I have it, I have to decide if I really want it this way, LOL! I'm so used to having folders with unique names like "Elvis 75-Good Rockin' Tonight [Disc 1]", etc. that I have to think how it would affect things with a folder named "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc. under each album folder.

For one thing, that would create multiple folders with identical names. Hmmm...

13. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

dBPoweramp because of the metadata options it offers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.