Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

EAC vs CueTools vs. dbPoweramp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by buzzy, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I would add dBpoweramp's PerfectTUNES to that list, for some this can save a lot of time for those instances you haven't got it right first time.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm sure its good and useful.

I'm not always a stickler for exact size and exact cover art example. But I often do a scan of the CD art I have on hand, or a scan of the LP cover I have on hand, or a digital photo of an album cover with labels, and work on that with trims and size reductions. My cell phone pics have gotten really great and there is a square photo setting, daylight from 2pm to 5pm in my living room is ideal. Then as a last resort I use the Album Art Archive which is controversial around these parts, but I grab art there when I do not need exact but want authentic art for a given piece of media.

Does PerfectTurns have a place in my workflow if I'm (currently) ripping Japanese imports with obi and back covers with spines? I'm a little apprehensive about auto anything.

I also may be getting near the end of the line in another year of so of ripping, mixing, tagging, flagging, encoding, and filing.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Randoms likes this.
  3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

No it is not universal and probably not for you. I try and get it right first time with correct metadata, an AccurateRip and the cover I want, but it has been useful, though I don't let it auto correct and for many it could be extremely beneficial.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I’ll check it out since I don’t know too much about it.
    Thx.

Randoms likes this.
  5. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

BTW, a caveat with CueRipper is it may not work on all system drives, even in-built ones where every other ripper including EAC works.
    Though I don't think there's any ripper out there that has as much ripping capability as EAC does, given that index-based ripping ability I mentioned earlier.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Forum Resident

EAC is powerful because it has so many options. EAC is confusing because it has so many options. Unfortunately many of the possible combinations of options in EAC will result in sub-optimal or incorrect rips. If you use those options you have to know what you are doing and know why you are choosing those options. Especially options related to gap handling. Choosing the wrong options could cause you grief later.

I usually recommend CUERipper over EAC because CUERipper is easy to use and only has options that are proper and that you might need. It doesn't confuse people with unneeded options. You insert a CD, make sensible selections in a few drop-down menus, and click the big "Go" button to rip. Most people just want a free ripping program that is easy to use.

EAC also has many options for drive read commands. You need to select the best read command for your drive to get the fastest and most reliable rips. To find the best one you have to try each of them. What is the difference between the MMC read command and MMC1 and MMC2 and D8? I have no idea. But you have to try them to find the optimal settings for a drive. Same with gap detection There are A, B, and C gap detection methods. What does that even mean? You have to choose the best one to get the fastest and most reliable gap detection for you drive. Have fun testing a bunch of drive read and gap detection methods to optimize a drive.

superstar19 likes this.
  7. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

Agreed. It’s like operating a manual camera mode rather than auto mode. It won’t just execute all the right settings on its own with the push of one button or two. And it’s more overwhelming as well as demanding of a proper understanding of its functions.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Forum Resident

CUETools version 2.1.9 was released a few days ago. It is now considered the current maintenance release.

Download location: CUETools Download - CUETools

superstar19 likes this.
  9. GhostEMP

GhostEMP Member

Here we go again... it wasn't even that long that I downloaded 2.1.8