Eagles to perform entire “Hotel California” album on 2020 tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Witchy Woman, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Choir and orchestra?? Spinal Tap, anyone? Guess it could always be worse, at least they aren't giving The Long Run the orchestral treatment. Caveat emptor!

oneslip17 and gregorya like this.
  2. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

TY.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd go with a free ticket - as long as the show's local - but otherwise it's a non-starter for me.

I just can't accept a version of the Eagles sans Frey. Not only does that leave them with only one original member - a tough situation to swallow for any band - but also Frey was arguably the most important member.

If people enjoy this, I'm happy for them, but it still rubs me the wrong way...

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Henley plays 2000-seaters on his own, with ticket prices much lower than for Eagles.

Henley can tour solo, but even though he has to split it with the others - not evenly, I'm sure, but still split - he's gonna make boohoogles more money with Eagles.

As for how much does he need, how many people have ever said "I got enough money"?

Especially when they can generate gobs more without much effort?

Sometimes pro athletes retire and leave money on the table, but usually they do so because they're tired of the physical pain involved in sports.

Henley can tour as a luxury level and make a ton of money for concerts - he probably feels it'd be stupid not to do this!

5. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

Obviously Don Henley watched the box office gross sales for Roger Waters and thought hmmm I can do that plus charge even more.

J_D__ likes this.
  6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It will.

And then soon after that, people will be crowing that Drake broke all "attendance" records set by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Woodstock and Watkins Glen combined.

JDeanB and Mickey2 like this.
  7. Efus

Efus Senior Member

The late Butch Trucks tried this already with Moogis.
    Thought was a subscription service, and eventually getting popular rock clubs to sign on to stream shows.
    It didnt make it.

A band could do it, by negotiating with the venues it plays at.
    Problem would be getting bands to play a venue with them insisting on broadcasting the performance.
    They can technically do it, but rights, payouts, and keeping subscribers from taping and potential bootlegging were issues they never quite figured out.

FWIW, all the concerts Moogis broadcast in 2009 and 2010 are out there on YT.
    Here's the advert for Moogis and the 2010 Allman Brothers run at United Palace in NYC.

Mickey2 likes this.
  8. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

They have performed with an orchestra before, including on the original Hotel California tour in the 70s. Probably because of the string arrangements on the album itself.

9. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Did they have a choir, too? I wouldn't have a problem with strings on some of the songs such as "Wasted Time", but a full orchestra and choir seems ridiculously overblown IMO.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Since Glen was the one that Don clashed with, why don't Don and the remaining Eagles make nice with Don Felder and get him back in the band?

Jmac1979 likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Henley had serious issues with Felder as well, especially once the litigation ensued. Years after the lawsuit was settled, Henley alluded to Felder continuing with other legal disputes, so it went beyond a Frey/Felder clash. Felder will never perform with The Eagles again.

12. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Phish does this fairly regularly, and also makes audio files of shows available for download shortly after most shows

13. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

All I can think of is The Dude ...

mpayan, forthlin, Mickey2 and 3 others like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

I found those trumpets the band added to the arrangement of the Hotel California title track about 10 years ago to be cringeworthy. The 1976-era strings from the October 1976 LA Forum shows were lean and basic accompaniment for select songs. Sounds like The Eagles might be going full-blown Vegas cabaret.

Paperback Writer and fsutall like this.
  15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The Who had 3 concerts streamed live from Europe on their 2006-7 tour. They just used the show film crew at the concert and it worked well.

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Frey probably stipulated in his will, "never," and they can pay Steuart Smith less. ;)

zebop likes this.
  17. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Never say never. According to Felder's book, Felder seemed to clash with Frey way more than with Henley.

More alumni = more tickets sold. If the Eagles do the math and figure they'll move more tickets with Felder on board, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. I know I'd be far more likely to fork out money to see Felder and Walsh on stage together than I would to see the current remnants.

It's probably more accurate to assume that Randy Meisner will never perform with the Eagles again (or without, sadly). But that's a whole other thread.

18. dharmabumstead

Oh, come on now. Did you go to work today? Was it a "sad money grab"?

These people are professional musicians. I don't understand why people take shots at them for wanting to get paid. Why shouldn't they?

19. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Or you can watch this:

Rickchick, Mickey2 and dgstrat like this.
  20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

tell us again what the Dude said...

21. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

22. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Free with a 2 drink minimum at your local Holiday Inn
    [​IMG]

Which one's Joe ?

Rickchick likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

Perhaps, but in this instance, it is probably safe to say never. Again, Henley is on record expressing his annoyance and disgust about Felder post-lawsuit. There would also be no reason to bring Felder back in to the band — Smith has been on co-lead guitar duties for nearly 20 years, almost twice as long as Felder’s tenure in the band (1974-1980, 1994-2000) and can clearly handle the work, plus Henley doesn’t like Felder (and Azoff wouldn’t want it either). Yeah, Felder will never be in The Eagles again.

24. dharmabumstead

Irv told you that over lunch, did he? :D

CousinCheebo and Mickey2 like this.
  25. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.