Eagles to perform entire “Hotel California” album on 2020 tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Witchy Woman, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Henley and Frey are/were The Eagles. Schmit and Walsh are important side members, but they aren't that integral to the band. It's not really "The Eagles" that's out there touring right now. It's Don Henley and some guys. It seems like a cheap rip off.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've tried to think of bands down to 1 original member that I'd still accept as those bands and came up short.

I guess you could argue NIN is a one-original band, but NIN was always basically Trent, Trent and more Trent - he needed a band live but in the studio was essentially NIN all on his own...

cquiller1 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hey, as an aside, I really don't get concerts of band imitators. Why do people buy tickets to shows like "The Federation of The Association - LIVE" or "Not Really The Beatles, But CLOSE!" (I'm making those up, but you get the idea)?

And could you imagine Graham Nash touring solo with a bunch of sidemen as CSNY?

But seriously, Fleetwood Mac has changed its composition of members, with only Mick Fleetwood and John McVie as a core. Did they ever stop being Fleetwood Mac (although I'm sure that some feel that way since it went away from being a blues band.)? When people think of FM's identity, it's Peter Green, or Bob Welch, or Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham and Christine McVie.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Michael likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

To hear the music live, I guess.

I'm not into tribute bands, either, but that seems to be the appeal.

And it's bigger for bands/artists not out there anymore. It's not like we can see the real Led Zep, so a tribute version suffices for some...

Efus likes this.
  5. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Well, I keep thinking of other "reunions" (e.g. Beach Boys 50th) with several band members dead (Dennis & Carl Wilson), where long-gone insignificant cast off members (David Marks) are brought back to serve the "reunion" theme.

So, in their case, while Randy Meisner seems gone for good, I could see Felder and Leadon getting back on board, even if for a short guest stint (a la Taylor & Wyman). In fact, 2021 will be their 50th anniversary. We shall see.

Efus likes this.
  6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

That could happen, if the other 3 members of the corporation ok'd him to do it.
    If he tried it without permission, the corporation would most likely sue him.

7. Oatsdad

The BB reunion was a hit because it brought Brian back to the fold.

Clearly the general public wouldn't respond to Leadon or Meisner in the same way.

Honestly, I doubt most Eagles concertgoers even know who Leadon and/or Meisner are. The band was Henley, Frey, Walsh and Schmit in the public eye for so long that earlier members have been forgotten, IMO...

8. Oatsdad

I think a CSN or CSNY with just one member is different than Eagles because the members' names are in the band name.

You can't really replace Crosby - not unless you get someone with the same name, I guess!

Like this! :D

9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Good point.
    None of that, nor Brian Wilson's condition to perform appealed to me.
    It looked like spend some time in the prescence of Brian and watch other musicians perform Beach Boys music.
    But ya know, a lot of people enjoyed it, and good for them.

I don't see the need to offer up a cruel opinion, then spend days arguing and sniping with fans excited, for whatever reasons, to see the performance.
    Its kind of immature, selfish, and reeks of no life.

10. Dweirens

Dweirens Active Member

The tall guy. These guys are great. I saw this tribute. The base band is the Fabulous Armadillos.

Fabulous Armadillos

11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Perhaps, but you get my point, I hope.

Efus likes this.
  12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

King Crimson is the obvious example.

Tim

garysb, Tristero and GodShifter like this.
  13. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

you can never leave

14. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

nope

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I can think of a few:

Jethro Tull is Ian Anderson. Some fans will say it's not the same without Martin Barre, but Anderson could take Tull out on tour without him and people really wouldn't care.

King Crimson is really just Robert Fripp and some dudes. I guess you could say Adrian Belew is important but he's not that integral to the line up. He could be replaced. (Edit: I see they've already been mentioned).

You get right down to it, Rainbow is just Ritchie Blackmore and Whitesnake is just David Coverdale. Those are a few examples off the top of my head.

Efus and mark winstanley like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In the case of Fleetwood Mac, they continued to be a working band, not just an overpriced concert attraction. Bands do evolve. They continued to create and record new music during all those phases of the band. That is a very different scenario with what one sees today, with both Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles. They are now predominantly touring machines, riding the coattails of the work they created decades ago. They are nostalgia acts. I don’t think the present incarnation of the Eagles is that of a creative unit evolving due to a change in band membership, rather, it is a way to prop up the brand and keep it active as a touring attraction.

At the same time, I don’t have an issue with Don Henley wanting to work under the Eagles banner. He still likely enjoys the benefit of having the band as a creative outlet, not just a revenue stream. But with the omission of the band’s leader (Glenn Frey), it truly is a watered-down experience and presentation. I suppose if Henley and his supporting cast, along with fans looking to hear some of the classics (without key contributions from Frey, Meisner, Leadon, and even Felder) enjoy the experience, it serves its purpose. I personally have no interest.

With respect to staging Hotel California, even with all of the extra musicians, orchestra, and back-up singers, there is no way they are going to artistically and legitimately pull this off without Glenn Frey, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder.

Nightfly68 and fsutall like this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Sadly that is probably true. Meisner did some great stuff with them too.

BluesOvertookMe and Efus like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Can you imagine the band without Mick Fleetwood? Yeah, he's just the drummer, but it wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac without him. John McVie probably less so despite his longtime tenure.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

and I don't think he has been part of the band since the nineties ..

Correction. The 2000's

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Have to take your word for it - I don't know squadoosh about KC! :D

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

that is exactly why they did it that way.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Proves my point even more :D

23. Oatsdad

Thanks! To be clear, I didn't think there weren't any 1-original bands - I just couldn't think of any off the top of my head!

Though I should've remembered both 4 Tops and Temptations - they're down to 1 original.

And I fully expect they'll continue after those originals die!

mark winstanley and GodShifter like this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Artistically they certainly can. Legitimately? No, but do you think the average person that buys a ticket for this Hotel California thing gives a rip who's up there besides Don Henley? It's a sad statement of affairs, but it's the truth.

25. Oatsdad

I disagree - casual fans want to see Walsh and - to a lesser degree - Schmit.

Could Henley still sell tickets to an "Eagles" that's just him and a bunch of guys who were never official members?

Maybe, but I doubt it. Casual fans know Schmit and Walsh too well...

cquiller1, JoeRockhead and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.