Eagles to perform entire “Hotel California” album on 2020 tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Witchy Woman, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's a given...now a studio album would probably be a harder sell...

2. Michael

and I'll bet they don't give to #$%^s...

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’d rather see Joe Walsh solo.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

They could bundle together an EP of new songs to accompany the inevitable DVD/BluRay of the tour...

perhaps "The Long Road Out of Walmart"... ;)

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

HA HA ! funny...I guess you may be right! the coin will be gushing...

gregorya likes this.
  6. Michael

when they are all dead and gone we'll have the ultimate HOLOGRAM TOUR where every friggin' Eagle will soar! Think I'm kidding? just wait and see...that franchise knows how to milk the fan dead or alive...

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is a humorous idea, but their core audience is probably aged 45 - 75. When the Eagles finally call it a day or the existing members pass away, their core audience will likely not care or be around to embrace a hologram tour. The audience undoubtedly will continue to shrink. There will be a time when these bands no longer resonate with the public like they presently do.

8. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

That's great. But ask yourself: would thousands of people be willing to pony up substantial piles of cash to watch you repeat work you created 43 years ago? And if they would, would you?

Witchy Woman likes this.
  9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

They'll have to fill the empty seats with holographic fans... it'll be a whole thing... the "One of These Sprites" tour... :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would love to see Joe Walsh solo! I have no interest in this latest Eagles money grab :rolleyes:.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

I regret not seeing him a few years ago when he toured with Bad Company. Hope he goes out on his own again, and if he does, digs deep into his awesome catalogue.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I was talking about future live concerts. But as far as live releases go, I’m totally with you.

13. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I saw him in my neck of the woods in 2012. My review from right after the show: "An incredible show. We got "The Bomber" - all of it, including the Bolero part - and "The Confessor" and "Turn To Stone" and many more. Plus (to our delight and surprise) "I Like Big Tits" in the encore!"

PacificOceanBlue and Efus like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

For me, there's a difference between bands who tour without key members because the key members don't wanna vs. those who tour without key members because the key members were fired or died.

I saw FMac on their last Christine-free tour. I would've rather seen them with Christine, but she'd stopped touring by her own choice, so I viewed that as an acceptable compromise.

I won't see FMac without Lindsey, though, because they dumped him.

Maybe others won't agree, but that's a big difference to me...

15. Oatsdad

"Azoff party line"? :confused:

Go visit some VH threads and see how unimportant fans consider Anthony to have been. It's not just the bass - it's his backing vocals. That's what fans really miss.

Also, Anthony was a part of every "classic" VH album - he was there for the whole prime 1978-84 run.

Felder was only around for half of the Eagles' "classic" run.

My point remains: neither Felder nor Anthony are going to sell lots of tickets. Whether or not one thinks they're needed for musical purposes, hardly anyone out there says "man, I'd go to this Eagles show if Felder was there but without him, no sale!"

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

That's what Irv would've told Glenn & Don about booting Felder out, and still being able to place fannies in the seats.

Yeah, that's been posted in the forums many, many times.

Not a great point of comparison though, as Felder had more in common with George Harrison and/or John Paul Jones.

More than half. About half of On the Border, then all of OOTN, HC & TLR with GH wedged in...peak of their popularity. Meantime, there was A LOT of Eagles support at Joe Walsh solo shows to demonstrate that Felder could go toe-to-toe.

Nobody was contending that part of it. Michael Anthony probably adds some extra "value" to Sammy Hagar concerts, but nobody's clamoring for his services.

17. Oatsdad

If no one argued that Felder won't sell lots of tickets, why did you argue with me about it?

I never judged his creative worth - I just said he wasn't gonna help them sell tickets...

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Then let's flip this around. You were part if the chorus of "why does Henley need the money?"

Felder costs more than the Nashville guy. Michael Anthony was never a good point of comparison.

* Oh, and just to take this a step further, Azoff is managing Fleetwood Mac now, too. He's used to delivering the news. We can safely assume that a large percentage of people go to hear Lindsey Buckingham sing and play. Well, they found 2 big name replacements at the same price point in the same hockey arenas.

19. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Honestly can't say. If I were a musician, I would hope I was still creating new work and that people would pay piles of money to hear that, not something I created half a lifetime ago.

Seems sad to me frankly, like everyone involved is stuck in the past. Just my opinion, of course. YMMV.

20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Point taken because it appears that even Glenn Frey matters little to Eagles ticket sales. They are still selling out arenas without him. Felder was less important than Frey in the grand scheme of things, although I would argue that his contributions to the song Hotel California alone elevated the Eagles from arena to stadium level. Still, as you point out, the Eagles name is strong enough to sell tickets because Henley and Walsh are still pretty well known, as is Vince Gill among country fans. In fact, adding Gill was a brilliant move since the Eagles are a true rock/country crossover success.

Michael Anthony is a case of the little guy who was a good soldier from the beginning getting screwed and everyone wants to empathize with the little guy. But not a factor with regard to ticket sales.

Witchy Woman and Oatsdad like this.
  21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I like Vince a lot, but, him singing Try and Love Again sounds like a disaster. Something like Take It To The Limit with all the harmonies is easier to pull off without Randy. But Try And Love Again isn't harmonies, it's more background singing with Randy singing solo. I think he could pull of New Kid In Town or any of Glenn's song. I just can't see Gill singing "Gonna try, Gonna try, Gonna try" in that high register.

Record Rotator likes this.
  22. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

It actually sounded really good imo! But obviously not as good as Randy. Never.

Witchy Woman and sway61 like this.
  23. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

I feel the same way. There's no way I would go see the Eagles without Glenn. He and Don were the glue of the group IMO.

24. PacificOceanBlue

In 1994, Glenn’s involvement was paramount to The Eagles reforming, if it wasn’t, they could have gone out without him in 1990. 25 years ago, line-ups mattered. Fleetwood Mac was not doing strong business until the Rumours era line-up reconvened in 1997. Today, no one cares.

25. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

It could be because bands like Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are now in their late 60s and 70s. We've lost so many legends over the past decade or so that people want to see the legends before they either retire or die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.