Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Ugh, bummer. I guess they jumped the gun on this? I've had such bad luck with them the past few years that I refused to pre-order it from them. Was waiting out for someone else to list it.

2. ballerkins

ballerkins Member

3. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Haven't got any info, but considering it was part of the recent (latest) Eagles vinyl box set, it's probably happening. I want it. But I also want a deluxe CD edition with all of the missing songs (Peaceful Easy Feeling, Best Of My Love, etc.).

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

As mentioned, it's undoubtedly the same as the one included in the box set. It isn't my favorite Eagles album and I have a Simply Vinyl copy I bought before Virgin closed down. It's a digital recording so I don't really have aspirations for an upgrade.

5. Record Rotator

6. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Bob Ludwig remaster, apparently, which bodes well. Out on 8 March.

8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I think it would have been better, if like the Original Studio Albums box of a few years back it had been mastered for vinyl by Bernie Grundman, someone who still cuts and masters vinyl to the highest standard. Doesn't Bob Ludwig only master in the digital realm these days? I'll add to that the fact that I haven't enjoyed his modern style of mastering for years now.

Musicisthebest and violetvinyl like this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Are you referring to the 1994 CD or the new remaster that comes in the box set with all the Eagles CD's?

11. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

The original CD. I haven't heard the remaster on CD yet, just the LPs. I'm happy with the original Jensen mastered LPs for now.

I might get these once I see someone post the DR values to the database. Do a few a/b comparisons.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Freezes-Over-Remastered-Eagles/dp/B07MMP3WZ2/
    https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Freezes-Over-LP-Remastered/dp/B07MCXWP1M/

12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Same here I'm waiting to see the DR numbers for the CD. I think they will be about the same as the original disc but possible better EQing.

13. Myke

With Bob Ludwig doing the new vinyl, I have no doubt it'll sound great.

bmh5879 likes this.
  14. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

It sounded pretty darn good to begin with! I'm not sure how much more could be done to improve it, besides expanding it.

15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I thought I would start a separate thread on the upcoming Bob Ludwig remaster. I know this disc is in the box set with the entire catalog but was hoping when this release comes out to get some opinions on the sound quality of this remaster which will be out 2 weeks from today. Hopefully the DR numbers won't be too bad.

So feel free to post.

16. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Already a quarter of a century ago that that retrospective came out... Deduct another 25 years... and The Eagles did not even exist yet.

17. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Mine shipped today and hope to have a listen tomorrow night. Hoping that this is a good mastering. I refuse to pay the $250+ they want for the earlier pressings. I already have an awesome SACD of the album.

Since this is also coming out as a CD version at the same time, can we assume that this was mastered by Bob L. from a digital source? Was it recorded originally digitally?

Thanks,
    Jason

18. Record Rotator

And?

19. Record Rotator

Yes, it was recorded digitally.

20. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident

It looks like it:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMP3WZ2/?tag=thesecdis-20

And this site:
    Nice To Hear From You Again: Eagles’ “Hell Freezes Over” Revisited - The Second Disc

21. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident

I may have to spring for this. If for no other reason than nostalgia.

This was the first concert I ever attended. My folks took me to see them perform at Clemson stadium when I was in 8th grade; about 12 years old. That was around the time I was listening to country music and there was the country artists' album of Eagles covers. I didn't know who the Eagles were at that point and didn't realize those were covers of their songs until I saw the concert and knew so many of their songs. I have been a fan ever since.

Record Rotator likes this.
  22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It was Travis Tritt's video of "Take It Easy" that brought the members of the Eagles together....

23. Myke

24. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident

Indeed. I learned that from one of their documentaries I watched (I believe on Netflix). Pretty cool how it worked out.

25. Record Rotator

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.