Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Anyone got this already?

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Record Rotator and Myke like this.
  3. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

The remaster isn't the greatest sounding. It looks like another heavily altered "Bob Ludwig Digital LP" set. I received mine yesterday and sent it back in the same day as received. They really need to clean up there act with this shiit. It makes me not want to collect or even listen to music any longer. It's a cryin shame too, as they could of had a real nice 25th anniversary release with dynamics and punchy bass and no distortion. :shake:

jasonsouza77 and bmh5879 like this.
  4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Since I don't have this new remaster, I have no way of comparing it to the original release. What you're saying is that this remaster sounds very compressed in comparison? Have you compared the two releases?

5. Rad Dudeski

Yes, I did compare both the 94 original and the "so called 2019 remaster" on average it's about 2-3dB louder vs the 94 cut. You can definitely tell most songs were ran through a limiter as the peaks were all squashed and conformed to a flat like line. IMHO they are trying to ruin the vinyl format just as they did the CD.

Record Rotator likes this.
  6. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Well for what it's worth, that's 1 horrible review here, 1 horrible review on Discogs and 1 horrible review left on Amazon.

Mine is set to arrive today - if I agree it sucks it's going back.

7. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Thanks. I'm out!

8. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

I get mine today! I'll have to compare it to my K2 mastered Japanese CD version. I don't have the 1994 version.

9. Welp I was excited to try this one but going to hold off based on these reports. Bummer

10. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

That's interesting for I have the K2 mastered version, too.

11. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Folks, it was said this was remastered from digital by Bob Ludwig, but my deadwax has CB (Chris Bellman).

Still have to give them a spin before I comment further.

Myke likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:yikes:My pre order just got better !!!!!

13. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I’m listening now. Half way through and one thing I can say is my pressing is DEAD silent.

Sounds clear but lacks the dynamics and soundstage I was hoping for.

I paid $30, and only have this on 5.1 DTS DVD, so I’ll be keeping this and enjoying it for what it is... a clean, if imperfect record.

Myke likes this.
  14. Myke

Same here on all counts, plus the '94 CD. Thanks for sharing. Waiting to see if I have to get screwed out of my 15% discount at Music Direct, on the other two albums in my order. Hoping not, of course.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  15. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

I received my vinyl copy today from Amazon.de.
    Listening to album number 1, side b at the moment, the song Wasted Time. CB in the deadwax indeed. Sounds pretty good to me. Nice dynamics and good bass. You feel close to the stage soundwise. Clean copy which is a bonus because quality control is often lacking these days. Never had a previous version so can't compare. For now I am glad I bought this. Hopefully disc two is a good one too.
    For now Pretty Maids (end side 2) displays a powerful punch to it.

Munros1969, Myke and Szeppelin75 like this.
  16. Szeppelin75

Keep posting guys.

Myke likes this.
  17. Szeppelin75

A couple of people have praised this pressing on Amazon as it stands.

bmh5879 and Myke like this.
  18. Myke

Watching the March '77 concert Blu ray while having this thread on e mail notification watch. All vinyl pulled out upstairs. Played the quad vinyl of On The Border earlier too.
    Unashamed Eagles fan since 1971.

19. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Chris Bellman is cutting vinyl from the digital master which is done by Bob Ludwig, because BL is not cutting vinyl (anymore).

Jason Simmons and Record Rotator like this.
  20. I believe Ludwig doesn't cut lacquers anymore. He just does the digital (re)mastering. Bellman would have done the best he possibly could with what he had to work with, that's for sure.

21. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

Update. Unfortunately disc 2 has some pops and clicks. Will have to run it through my vinyl cleaner, so hopefully that will help. Disc 1 had no problems. Overall the sound is okay in my book. Not the last in depth and dynamics but certainly as lively as you can expect from a more intimate presentation. And I like the punch on the more rockier moments.

Myke likes this.
  22. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

My vinyl arrived today. Sounds fabulous to my cloth ears and even my wife commented on how good it sounded. This will be on repeat play for a while.

bmh5879, Szeppelin75 and Myke like this.
  23. Rad Dudeski

It's was mastered too hot for my taste. When I pay for "high quality" I'm not just settling for 180 grams of quiet plastic. I bet if bellman/grundman did the remaster instead of just the cutting, it would have been great through and through. To each his own I guess.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  24. Myke

Exactly.

25. Where does the 'high quality' part come in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.