Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

I honestly don't know.....o_O
    Are you arguing semantics with me? :D High quality to me is having both the unaltered sound of the original master recording and the format that it is released on being made with quality materials with no defects.

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Lots of differing opinions popping up here, everything from sounds great to sounds like crap. :shrug:

bmh5879 likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What ? I read one negative, and 3 positive. Go back to page 3.

4. Rodney Raisanen

Rodney Raisanen New Member

I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. I never had the original but I just got the remastered CD today. I'm not crazy about it. The kick drum is mixed way to loud in the mix for my taste. Especially on "Hotel California." However, I have seen people state that this version of "Hotel California" is one to use to test your bass in you system. Is the bass mixed so loud in the 94 release? So far I think the "Eagles Live" release of "Hotel California" is my favorite.

5. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Post #56. Three negative reviews in all.

6. Rad Dudeski

Mine wasn't completely negative just didn't like the fact how the mastering was handled. It was loud and bright on my setup.

7. Myke

I don't give a rat's ass about outside this thread.

8. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Both (highly...) positive reviews seem to have been written by Geffen PR guys : "Bob Ludwig bla bla bla... Chris Bellman bla bla bla... You can't go wrong bla bla bla". Right.
    The second review is even more laughable :
    "I purchased the 25th Anniversary Hell Freezes Over reissue on Vinyl" > Yes we all know that already because when we read your review the format is specified just above your commentary so you don't have to write it a second time like it was necessary because maybe the readers wouldn't buy it...
    "The remastered audio is fantastic" > Mmm... can you specify and tell us for example WHY or HOW it sounds so fantastic ?
    "I'm so thrilled to finally have this in my collection !" > Yeah... cool... i'm very pleased for you but do you know that the readers don't care ? that's no information, only self gratification.
    Reading his other reviews, we learn that every vinyl the guy buy is amazing and terrific... That's enough for me.
    The only negative one give us some more technical information at least : "lacking of dynamics" and "bright sounding".

So i'll wait for a few more posts about this reissue before any purchase....

Record Rotator likes this.
  9. Myke

It could also be the same person writing the negative reviews elsewhere, can't find any background on the Discogs writer.

bmh5879 likes this.
  10. Record Rotator

Well, then surely you'll be very pleased with your purchase. ;)

11. Myke

Already sure of that once I learned Bellman was involved. :tiphat:

12. Record Rotator

I thought you didn't care about reviewers outside of this thread. :D

13. I'm just wondering what you consider to be high quality vinyl. Does paying $30 or so for two LPs demand that it is high quality?

14. Myke

15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Maybe.

The guy reviewed today 2 other vinyl purchase (negatively) :

1 "Sounds pretty neutral although the high end is cut at around 18k as if it was cut from a cassette tape"
    2 "LP sounds compressed, bright as if a dedicated master wasn't used and was just EQ'd differently for the format."

So the guy doesn't like compressed and bright sounding vinyls.
    Neither do i. :D

16. Myke

Only hype sticker I see says nothing about " quality " :

[​IMG]

17. Myke

So you received a completely different hype sticker ?

18. Rad Dudeski

Yes sir

Myke likes this.
  19. Myke

20. Rad Dudeski

Don't know as I have already sent it back. As what I can remember the sticker was similar. I never thought to look at the deadwax or anything. I was just pissed after I paid good money for it and it turned out to be not all that great.

21. Myke

And since you started this thread well over a year ago, your hopes were set on a pretty high bar, I understand. Sorry for your disappointment.

22. How much?

23. Rad Dudeski

Enough to not make the same mistake twice. :agree:

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Sounds like there might be different pressings from the E.U. and U.S. with different hype stickers?

stinsojd, bmh5879 and Myke like this.
  25. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

So not a defititive opinion on this. Got the original CD and DVD which both sound amazing. I'll wait for more reviews before buying this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.