Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

It's weird for me to listen to this, because I am only accustomed to the 5.1 DVD, and the songs are in a different order LOL.

2. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

I've only listened to side C. The vinyl seems really quiet, except for a few places where I got some surface noise.

It does seem mastered a bit on the loud side. Is this really a problem? Just lower the volume a bit. The dynamics are not the best though. Sounded like everything was the same level.

Need to listen to the rest of it, before making final judgement.

3. It seems like you've answered your own question.

marcb likes this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I was gonna buy this . Had high hopes. I am not now. Will be waiting to see but it doesn’t look too good. Sticking with my simply Vinyl ;)

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I just got my copy of the new vinyl. I can compare the SV release. I'll post back when I've made a comparison.

6. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

This new 2019 reissue sound much better than my Simply Vinyl copy.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Could use another positive in this thread. Member @29 Melbury Road in Stockholm, Sweden started his own thread this morning, which of course was promptly closed, but he wrote :

" The brand new 'Hell Freezes Over' remaster is of the better reissues in years, lacquer cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundmans and remastered by Bob Ludwig. Just finished of all 4 sides of this top notch pressing on my Mcintosh / Transrotor/B&W 800 serie set up and it's a winner. "

The Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over' 25th Anniversary vinyl

John D. likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Just did an A/B comparison between the 25th Anniversary and the Simply Vinyl. And Simply Vinyl wins. The SV has breath that the 25th Anniversary just doesn't have. The 25th is flat in comparison. I did notice that Side D on the 25th sounds noticeably better than the other 3 sides and is closer to the SV pressing. That being said, I think it's the weakest side of the 3 live sides. The compression used whether by Ludwig or Bellman is overly done. If you own the SV, be content with it. The 25th isn't an improvement and I would say it's not even a compelling listen.

9. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Wow, you guys are tough! Must admit, never heard the original vinyl release but 25th sounds good to me...Flat, quiet, nice pressing imo. $35 for a new copy vs hundreds $$ for the original.....no contest at my house.
    ATB,
    Mark

Nephrodoc, F1nut, Munros1969 and 2 others like this.
  10. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Thanks Mark. I bought this yesterday at B&N but kept it sealed as I was concerned over some of the negative comments here regarding dynamics. I’m breakin’ the seal and will report back after I have a listen. Your point regarding price vs original press(which I don’t have) was the clincher for me.

maui jim likes this.
  11. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy it. :agree:

12. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I saw a DVD of a Melbourne show that was around $30-40 at Barnes and Noble. Anyone know anything about it? Don't think I want to spend that kind of money, but it looks fun.

13. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I am enjoying and happy with my purchase. Used my 20% coupon, so it came to $27 with tax. It is a tad loud, but still sounds nice. Very quiet vinyl and doesn't sound cold or sterile. Just wish they didn't compress it so much that the dynamics have been indeed reduced as some have reported.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Lowering the volume doesn't help if the "loudness" is due to lack of dynamics.

Rad Dudeski and Jason Simmons like this.
  16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Digital recording folks...

17. Jason Simmons

I've listened to the 44.1KHz 16-bit version on Tidal (remastered 2018 it says) and sounds just about the same as the 25th Anniversary LP; to my ears. I'll still keep it, since the pressing is quality and I feel badly returning something that is not defective (scratched, chewed up, warped etc).

Thanks to all who have given their thoughts! Looking forward to the 35th Anniversary edition.

18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The original CD is also too digitally compressed. I don't think they are any good CD versions.

F1nut, Rad Dudeski and bmh5879 like this.
  19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The XRCD is the best go to digital version IMO :)

20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

21. Jfkaess

Jfkaess It's the music!

I've not heard the XRCD, but i have the K2HD version and i think it sounds very good.

anduandi likes this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Myke likes this.
  23. Jason Simmons

Can anyone else confirm or deny some annoying noises on side C? The noise is on the first two tracks.

I'm going to clean it again tonight with some Mobile Fidelity fluids. Maybe some type of release compound, but doubt it. I've already put it through my Audio Desk cleaner.

24. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Thanks you for this comparison. I have the Simply VInyl release and based on this, I won't be buying the remaster.

MikeJedi likes this.
  25. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Basically the remaster is the same one that is included in this boxset. Some of the remastered material was also previously included on this compilation as well. The DR measurements and sound quality are almost identical to each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.