Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Was the boxset version cut by Chris Bellman?

2. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Info taken from The Eagles Legacy 15LP Set coming November 2, 2018

3. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Not sure the hassle is really worth it, but got Amazon to send me a replacement. Hoping side C is better. If not, both going back for a full refund.

4. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I definitely abandoned the plan to get this reissue after having read you posts, guys.
    I'll stay with the cd and try to get me a dvd.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  5. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

REMASTERED CD QUESTION....

Has the audio hum on Desperado been eliminated?

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  6. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

im pretty impressed with the US original cd. has anyone compared this new 2LP to the orig US cd please? thanks

7. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

ahhhh.. I remember that being on the orig cd

8. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I've always been confused about Hell Freezes Over mastering/recording. I remember having the original (?) CD which stated it was ADD. I have the LaserDisc which states: "This LaserDisc is encoded with both digital and analog sound tracks and can be played on all currently available LaserDisc players." I also have the DVD which sounds harsh and extremely "digital". The analog LaserDisc sound track is hands down the best SQ IMO. So, was it recorded in analog or not?

9. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I got this in. Will give it a listen this weekend, but don't have any f the other versions to compare it to.

10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I got the new vinyl a few days ago and love it. Compared to the original CD and XRCD this has a fuller, more realistic sound. Cymbals sound like they should, the vocals are crystal clear and there is actually bass. The packaging is nice, the records are flat and they are super quiet. Highly recommended.

11. Rad Dudeski

With absolutely no dynamics. I wouldn't recommend this release to anybody. The original LPs and Laserdisc sound really good.

Please don't take this personally.

Ok, this is really starting to irritate me a lot. Just because the records are flat, quiet and are cut by Bellman doesn't make them audiophile quality or any better. I know everyone has different goals for sound. I expect a good stereo soundstage, unaltered dynamics or not much compression used, it be equalized flat or to possibly bring out a instrument or something that might be buried in the mix. Basically my audio goal is to have something that is very close to the original and unaltered as possible. I don't care if the LPs have a little bit of a warp or noise that's expected from the format and it's flaws.

hodgo likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

If you " know everyone has different goals for sound " and you've stated yours more than once now, there's nothing to " get irritated " about. You're not going to change the minds of those posting they like the album, and haven't changed mine, as I'm letting my order stand as is. :shrug:

13. Rad Dudeski

Yes and you missed the point.

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I take nothing here personally. That said, you're basic complaint is a lack of dynamics, which I disagree with with. I also disagree that warps and noise should be expected. Quite the opposite, there's no excuse for crappy pressings.

This release sounds better to me than any other version I've heard. Just because you don't like it is no reason to go on the warpath against anyone that doesn't agree with your ears.

Let me add one more comment. Neither you or I know what the original master sounds like. Even recordings using the original master are not quite the same because it's a copy.

15. Rad Dudeski

This reminds me of people that are too caught up in the brand name/ person. They don't care about the total quality, just having the item suits them. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but if you give it a extremely great review and then the next guy comes along after reading your review and buys it and says man this thing is a piece of crap or sounds terrible, doesn't that make you feel a little bit bad for giving it such a extremely positive review?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I don't feel bad that you don't like it. Do you feel bad that I like it because it sounds great?

17. Rad Dudeski

Heck yeah man. Listener fatigue sucks.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

19. You took the words right out of my mouth.

20. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Being a completist I'm probably going to buy this new vinyl remaster of HFO regardless. I've not heard the Laserdisc, but IMO no version I've heard so far beats the LPCM soundtrack on the original DVD release; the clarity, separation and dynamics are truly spectacular (the original CD release sounds too forward and congested by comparison).

21. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Just finished listening to this, and I’m very pleased with this one as well.

F1nut and Myke like this.
  22. ivtoon

ivtoon Forum Resident

The PCM track on the laser disc is wonderful in every way - rich, clean without being bright or overly - detailed, and with a well - defined bass. I think it's better than any other format I've heard (which have been a lot). These have included DVD (also pretty good), any CD pressing (including various from Japan) and vinyl. It was a demo source in audio shows in the '80s and '90s.

My guess is that there must have been a great mix done at the start and used for LD and CD. Subsequent mixes or mastering don't sound like the same source.

The DTS laserdisc is also pretty spectacular. Worth checking out if possible.

ToTo Man and Rad Dudeski like this.
  23. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Got my replacement from Amazon yesterday and happy to report that side C is free from the surface noise that plagued the earlier copy I received. This set is growing on me the more I listen to it.

bmh5879, Myke and Szeppelin75 like this.
  24. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love

Some "German" experience ;) Surface noise is near perfect with my copy. I'd say the sound is rich, however, the singer(s') voice(s) lack dynamic/are too flat for my liking. So not really a bad reissue but unfortunately lacking expression if it comes to the vocals.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I had this vinyl reissue in my hands last night and was reminded that I find the Side A to be quite mediocre -- and this is one of my all-time favorite bands. I never really liked the "new" studio material, aside from "Learn To Be Still." "The Girl From Yesterday" is forgettable, "Get Over It" is cringeworthy, and "Love Will Keep Us Alive" comes off as a token vehicle for a Timothy B. Schmit vocal performance. That said, the live material is fantastic, but still decided to hold off on acquiring this reissue because I want to enjoy more than 3/4 of the album.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.