Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Learn to be Still sounds like something of Henley's The End of the innocence, always loved that song and founded the strongest of the new ones back in 1994. I liked and i guess still do the energy of Get Over It evem if the lyrics are bland. The other two are forgettable specially the snooze fest of Love will keep us awake.

bmh5879 likes this.
  2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Anybody know, if the Eagles had more than the 4 new songs that were on the album, in the can ?

I always wondered if they had a few more from Hell Freezes Over sessions. There are 1-2 more on some of the live albums-dvds. But they don't appear on HFO or the Eden album.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It’s possible. They also recorded additional material after the HFO tour and before the millennium shows, which has never surfaced.

NunoBento and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  4. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I'm not aware of any CD releases that sound as dynamic as the LPCM soundtrack on the original DVD. If the LD surpasses the DVD then it must be truly breathtaking! Pity I don't own an LD player...

PS - HFO was released in 1994 so if it was used as a demo source in audio shows during the 80's then it really was ahead of its time! :D

5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I was thinking of that Joe Walsh tune One Day At A Time, which they did flawlessly live, but it only appeared years later on Walsh's solo album. I think there was a 2nd tune by Frey or Tim.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Unless it eventually ended up on the Long Road Out Of Eden album.

7. audiogav

audiogav Active Member

I wonder if it was a bad stamper. I also have an annoying burpy poppy noise in a few spots on that side during A New York Minute and a few other spots. Of coarse one of my favorite tracks. Got the same noises on my copy of Eric Clapton Forever Man on one the sides.

Jason Simmons likes this.
  8. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

it must be something in the stamper. I cleaned it a few times in my ultra sonic cleaner and used Mobile Fidelity Deep Clean too. The disc looked clean and beautiful, but still had the noisy sounds.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is possible, but as litigious as Don Felder is, one suspects if anything surfaced from the sessions he previously took part of, he would have filed a lawsuit.

10. ivtoon

ivtoon Forum Resident

Yeah, well, I meant to say that, "My guess is that there must have been a great mix done at the start and used for LD and CD." :p Sometimes a spellcheck for thoughts would be good .....

The LD is really good. Too bad most of those interested won't be able to hear it. The DVD is a good substitute, especially if an excellent outboard DAC converter is used for the analog sourcing.

ToTo Man and Szeppelin75 like this.
  11. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I am almost done cleaning up my rip of this new vinyl release. I thought it sounded pretty nice when listening to it as I captured the raw rip...my impression has not changed since cleaning it up via headphones. Looks like it will clock in around a DR12 overall.

For anyone who is interested, I am posting an image of the .wav from "I Can't Tell You Why" (which is a DR 12):

[​IMG]

If you'd like to see a .wav image from any other song, let me know and I will post it tomorrow.

ToTo Man, 4-2-7 and hodgo like this.
  12. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I was looking forward to buying this. With all the issue's with this pressing I am out.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Paul, please could you post your findings via a log file up to the Dynamic Range Database.

I also have to say I'm enjoying this release very much indeed.

14. psulioninks

I don't know who Paul is, but I will do that once I am done.

hodgo likes this.
  15. hodgo

Sorry, I missread your username :doh:

Many thanks, it'll be interesting to see the full DR ratings, I'm normally sensitive to over compression but on these LP's I'm not hearing it like others are.

psulioninks likes this.
  16. psulioninks

And here is what the .wav looks like for "Hotel California"...which is a DR13:

[​IMG]

ToTo Man and 4-2-7 like this.
  17. psulioninks

And here's the overall dynamic range report of my final cleaned-up rip:

[​IMG]

ToTo Man, 4-2-7 and hodgo like this.
  18. psulioninks

Added!

hodgo likes this.
  19. hodgo

Many thanks! that site is really useful and I now regularily upload to it to help other like minded souls.

20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

So is this thing dynamically challenged ? According to the report it doesn’t seem to be but some folks are hearing it quite differently ...

21. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I mean if we're being honest, thi
    I honestly don't think it's as bad as the reaction here and to be quite honest, I was pretty pleased. All I have is an original Japanese CD to compare it to. I don't know, everyone has been on a roll bashing it I almost hated to interrupt.

hodgo likes this.
  22. hodgo

Not to my ears it isn't! Those DR values shown above would also indicate that it's not.

Myke likes this.
  23. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

How does the actual 25th Anniversary CD remaster sound? Any DR number for the CD version?

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Doesn't look like it : Album list - Dynamic Range Database Is there a CD ? I see no evidence of one, just the 25th Anniversary vinyl.

EDIT : Releases April 1st.

25. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’m very pleasantly surprised by this Ludwig/Bellman. My copy was delayed about a week and I almost cancelled the pre-order, based on some of the Forum opinions in this thread. I’m glad I didn’t. The vinyl is flat, clean and quiet and the price of the double album wasn’t much more than that of a new single album. I don’t have any other format of it to compare this vinyl with, but to me it all sounds very nice over my main speakers or headphones. Cranks up pretty well too. My two cents worth is to buy if interested but doubtful. But to each their own...

Magnolia, hodgo, psulioninks and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.