Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe they all do...

2. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ok I bit the bullet. My copy is flat and quiet. it sounds great ! midrange highs lows sound really good to me .. however it might be a tad bricked. Not much. Maybe slightly less dynamic than the SV that I own but it also sounds different in a good way!! I am more impressed than I thought I would be ! Lol ! Bravo Mr Ludwig and Chris Bellman ! I will be keeping my copy. Thank the maker for Barnes and Noble gift cards (thank u to the wife ) and coupons ;) I may buy a backup copy at some point. I really thought the dynamics were going to be really crushed. But imo they are not. Like I said some bw might have been used but it is limited to this set of ears from what I can tell ... optimal hit it out of the park on the vinyl front. Flat and quiet !! Pleasantly surpassed my expectations! Just y 2 cents worth as originally I was going to pass !! Technics SL1200Mk5. Parasound A52 Halo Amp and Parasound Zphono. Denon Dl110. Yammie Pre/Pro. Def Tech BP 7002 speaks. Monster Z2 speaks cable. Monst Ref 2 Interlink between Zphono and Yammie. FWIW ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    maui jim likes this.
  3. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I bought the disc, read this thread, then promptly returned it.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The original EU pressing (not SV) is demo quality. I remember it used at shows and it is very sought after. If this one falls well short of SV (who hardly ever equaled an original) it must be pretty disappointing. I'm certainly not wasting money on this one since I have the original Holland pressing.

5. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The XRCD sounds exquisite.

maui jim and MikeJedi like this.
  6. You didn't listen to it?

7. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I didn’t unseal it. I do have the 1994 version.

8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

The original DVD sounds great to me. No need to get this.

Tim Glover likes this.
  9. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Can you imagine? Hell Froze Over quarter of a century ago.
    They are already way longer together than they have spent time separately from each other.

10. Macman007

Macman007 Sitting mId-way between 2 very large speakers

Simply Vinyl quality must have been all over the place especially on this title. My version doesn't sound bricked or lacking in anything, warm, deep and crystal clear on all 4 sides. The vinyl itself is super flat and dead quiet, even after over 20 years of owning it. I don't play it much, never did, as it sounds even better recorded to 2 track stereo at 7 1/2 ips using HX Pro and no Dolby or DBX NR. NO need, as the hiss is down very low and as usual the album sounds better recorded to open reel than the LP does, though it's not supposed to, instead be an exact copy. Tape adds a magic to vinyl, especially good vinyl, and it saves wear and tear on vinyl and stylus.

Maybe the Holland original was better, maybe the newest release is, no matter, I'm 110% happy with the one I have and have received a great many compliments over the last 2 decades concerning the over the top sound quality. Like many things with this hobby, this release may be more dependent on the system it's played on.

11. I just received this 2019 vinyl pressing. I almost didn't buy it, reading about compression etc. applied.

I am glad I decided to get it in the end. It is definitely more dynamic than the original CD release. The PCM track of the DVD is still a bit more dynamic, but this new vinyl pressing has the same dynamics as the original vinyl release.

The pressing quality is perfect all around. I already needledropped it and wav-form looks great and dynamic. The waveform of the first track is totally misleading, this song was recorded/mastered on the original release with some compression.

I can recommend this release. I did get the European pressing from Amazon.de.

12. ns2357

ns2357 Well-Known Member

why? I'm not sure what all the issues are that people are claiming to have, but this is one of the cleanest and most dynamic albums I've got. It promptly found it's way into my demo albums, along with brother's in arms, neil young greatest hits, and the MoFi UltraDisc One-Step of Texas Flood. It's just phenomenal!

13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Totally agree with the two previous posts.

wwright likes this.
  14. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Because the disc was not a remaster. I already have the original.

15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

For once I'm glad I didn't research a pressing before buying it. I'd have probably passed! But, I'm glad I didn't.

There is literally no point in comparing this pressing to what came before - they cost at least 10x as much and there is no guarantee they are free of issues. This was $25 or something at Amazon and I finally have this on vinyl.

I tried to get a copy once on eBay. One listen, knew it was a boot, and shipped it back. Now I have a legit, very listenable copy.

I'm satisfied.

psulioninks, bmh5879 and superstar19 like this.
  16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Doubtful that anything new is on the horizon. Both CD and DVD were included in the Legend box set.

17. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Just got this for £14.99. Would have been nice if the cover was gate-fold for the 25th anniversary edition. Nice flat quite vinyl although I have to agree it's a little lacking in dynamics but to my ears is an improvement on the original CD so glad I have it.

MikeJedi likes this.
  18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The new remaster really does sound really good. Way better than what I expected from what I was reading on here initially ! Lol! And the vinyl is perfectly flat and super quiet

19. Paradigm25

Paradigm25 Well-Known Member

Do mean a bootleg of the vinyl. Is it easy/common to have vinyl bootlegs? Just a question. I am not very familiar with vinyl bootlegs. Thanks.

20. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Glad I searched here. I will keep my 94 cd. Brickwalled?

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

The low numbers show compression (average =9) but I don’t hear any squashed or brickwalled sound. Sounds fine to me.

21. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anytime any sort of limiting, levelling, or a overabundance of compression is used I can usually hear it. Hell Freezes Over isn't high on my list anymore. The 94 CDs mastering is rubbish and so is the newer remaster. The old pressing of the LP isn't half bad at all. Although the newer pressing is pretty quiet in the lead in and outs, it was definitely mastered from a digital source with limiting.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.