EAR 834 deluxe too thin – Gold Note PH 10 as a solution?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zeitlos, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love Thread Starter

I bought it as a used one about a year ago. I was told that it's about 7 years old. The seller was credible I'd say. He is the official photographer for EAR products in Germany. He sold two copies of it at that time since he replaced them with a larger EAR. Inside there where tubes who were already a couple of years old I guess so I replaced it approximately half a year with matched Gold Lion Tubes. My dealer is a very renowned dealer (not selling on the internet even though he's got an internet page: Audio Creativ - Mehr Freude an Musik | Audio Creativ ). He's the one who contracted my speakers for Unison (Unison Max 1) for example. So I trust him. But still, maybe something is wrong with the tubes?

Maybe he can measure them tomorrow to see if they are still okay. He's got a "machine" for that purpose. But maybe it's just the Keces being that good? But listening to them is like listening to different speakers, so there's really a difference.

Thanks a lot for your assistance. I'm a little bit lost lacking knowledge but you guys help me to sort things out. Maybe it's wise to check the tubes first before investing in a new preamp, especially since I really like(d) the EAR...

2. zeitlos

I'm back :)

I finished listening my EAR 834p against the Keces Ephono. I like a lot about the Keces, but if it comes to voices, the EAR 834 excels. So I brought it back to my dealer today. Well, and I picked up the Gold Note PH 10 and listened to it as well... I guess, that's the solution. It sounds marvelous. Still I would say at the very top, the EAR might be slightly better as it comes to voices, but the rest (even if it hurts since I like my EAR a lot) is a non brainer. If you get the chance to listen to the Gold Note I can only encourage you to do so.
    I also asked for different tubes but my dealer told me I shouldn't expect much of a change, nuances yes, but not a fundamental change in character (more bass etc.). I would have given it try if there weren't the Gold Note PH-10 which provides what I've been looking for. I will listen to the Gold Note with fresh ears to more again and make a decision on Saturday. But I have to admit, it's really a wonderful device.

Shiver likes this.
  3. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Is the Gold Note a valve design?

4. zeitlos

No, unfortunately not. My dealer (he loves tubes) also said you will never get 100% from a transistor amp what you get from a tube. But still, it's more than the EAR can provide. Which (again) makes me sad. But it's okay in the end.

5. zeitlos

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

Hi Zeitlos,

Just curious, have you tried the PH10 on its own or in combination with the separate PSU10 power supply?

7. zeitlos

Today, only on it's own. My dealer said I should try it like this first and if I like what I hear connect the separate PSU 10 power supply unit which he also gave me. Will try it tomorrow. Should add even more sovereignty, alhtough I think it's excellent even without it.

8. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

That makes sense! Please let us know if you think the PSU made a difference.

9. zeitlos

Sure, will report back!

Shiver and SHU like this.
  10. Andy Saunders

I had the Simply Italy amp here on home loan and in some ways it was an amazing- the clarity with Audionote ANK LX was astounding and a massive midrange, very nice.

zeitlos likes this.
  11. zeitlos

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Again, you're not using the greatest tubes for this preamp. Comparing it as is to something else is not being fair to the 834P, IMHO.

zeitlos likes this.
  13. zeitlos

If I manage to find a dealer who sends me tubes that I can return if it's not good enough I will surely give it another try. However, I have to admit that I believe in what my dealers says as well, since he's got 40 years of experience. But you are right, one doesn't give the EAR away without having appropriate tubes in it. Still I cannot really image that chaining tubes can change the sound so dramatically that it catches up, for example as far as bass is concerned. But I'd love to be wrong!

14. Neiro

Neiro Forum Resident

Sorry Zeitlos but your dealer is wrong. Valve swapping is not just nuances. In my experience the right valve can transform a piece of equipment. You can go from average to excellent with a valve swap. Of course the right valve may take some finding but there are plenty out there. 12 AX7s do not have to be expensive, just buy a couple and at least try them, they should at least indicate what is possible and may confirm whether or not your current valves are old/defective. Have fun.

15. Strat-Mangler

The quality reputable NOS tubes outperform current production tubes easily. If you're not feeding NOS tubes to the 834P, you're not hearing it at its best. No idea why you'd take the word of a dealer instead of using your own ears. The difference is quite dramatic.

It sounds like your mind's already made up and if so, there's nothing wrong with that but know that you still haven't heard what the 834P can do because of how only far more inferior current production tubes have ever been used in it.

Oh, you most certainly are. If your dealer is telling you tubes make only minor differences in SQ, he doesn't know what he's talking about, period. This isn't fanboyism or a favorable bias towards tube, it's just easily verifiable if you take 5 min to listen to the difference. Your dealer's 40 years of experience mean nothing if his ears are so bad that he can't detect a difference between tubes and if he's never explored NOS tubes in his life.

G B Kuipers likes this.
  16. zeitlos

Not at all. I'm currently browsing through the tubes offered here (Onlineshop Startseite Tube Amp Doctor Onlineshop ) and got no clue what to order. It would make sense to test the EAR against the gold note but the would mean I need to order the tubes now since I have to return it in a few days. Same problem again: Got no idea which one to buy.
    I wrote them an email asking what to buy but their engineer is off (vacation).

Next: I suppose I cannot buy NOS and return them if I'm not convinced, right? If I find an article which makes sense I'd order it right away. But as I said. For someone having experience no big deal, for me really an obstacle.

17. Strat-Mangler

I already wrote answers to all that earlier in the thread. Go back to page 1 and read again.

18. zeitlos

That's what I just did. Still confusing. As I said, I will give it a try, if I can.

I googled all your suggestions yesterday but the results google offers are not the once I need to order (e.g. Mullard Blackburn factory). It's general information.

19. zeitlos

20. Strat-Mangler

Those are (again) current production tubes. NOS (New Old Stock) tubes are from decades ago. The Mullard tubes you'd want are made in the UK ; not Russia.

You don't need to buy NOS tubes for everything. V2 (the tube in the middle) has little effect on the sound so you can keep a Gold Lion in there if you want to save some money.

You can try this tube for V3 (closest to the front) and V1 (closest to the back) ; 5751 RCA NOS/USA double mica, black plate - NOS Rare & Vintage

But you could also change the tube closest to the front (V3) to an NOS Mullard 12AU7 tube which will also make a huge difference ; more open sound with more detail than the 12AX7 tubes. I'm not familiar with Germany NOS tube sellers but here's a link to a US-based seller offering that specific tube.

Mullard CV4003 / 12AU7 Vintage New Old Stock

So you could end up with this combination, in the end ;

V1 (closest to back) - NOS RCA 12AX7 black plate
    V2 (middle slot) - Gold Lion 12AX7
    V3 (closest to front) - NOS Mullard 12AU7

Hope this helps.

G B Kuipers and zeitlos like this.
  21. zeitlos

I does. Thank you for all your efforts! Will try to find them here in Germany. I'll also call the shops mentioned above tomorrow.

22. Andy Saunders

Still struggling with the OP describing the 834P sound as "thin".....,. Very long shot have tried changing interconnects/ mains cable?

( Runs behind sofa.):)

royzak2000 likes this.
  23. zeitlos

I'm also struggling with it. My dealer told me that he stopped selling them years ago because they were too rich (fat?).

24. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Just to add, even the V2 position, although not as dramatic as V1 and V3, is very important. Please don't leave a current production tube in there. Even if you do, I'd take the stock supplied jj tube over the GL any day of the week. (Nothing against the GL in general, I just dislike it in the 834P).

Strat-Mangler and zeitlos like this.
  25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

No sofa needed the 834p is anything but thin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.