EAR 834 deluxe too thin – Gold Note PH 10 as a solution?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zeitlos, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love Thread Starter

I will have to test this again. Unfortunately one cannot upload pictures to the forum here otherwise I would take a picture of the volume button. But I'd say it wasn't really dramatic. Similar to the Keces Ephono. Also tried it in MM turning volume up. Was about the same amount I'd say.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Good thing that you can return them. I think you should have gotten the matched ones. As far as I understand the 834p, each tube is used in stereo mode, i.e. the two triode sections in the tube are used separately, so any difference between the sections will come through as a channel imbalance. But they should still give you a sense of what your 834p can do.

But otoh, if you really like the sound with the Gold Note, you might want to stick with it. I’m a tube guy myself but not religiously so. In terms of price, remember that you need to factor in that tubes wear out.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Use a picture-hosting website like Imgur. Take a pic, upload it there, when you look at it on their website, right-click on the pic and select Copy, then paste it in this box where you type your reply.

4. Strat-Mangler

The 834P is not a tube-per-channel design. Rather, it's a triode-per-channel design. The only way a channel imbalance would occur is if one triode tested far less than the other which can always happen regardless of which tube is being discussed. Therefore, tube-matching is not a factor in this case.

zeitlos likes this.
  5. zeitlos

Thanks. Let's try again.

Last week's contenders: EAR 834p vs. Keces Ephono

Imgur

This week's contenders: EAR 834p vs. Gold Note PH-10

Imgur

6. zeitlos

Comforting that you still stick to your assessment since I wasn't sure anymore whether I did the right thing when ordering the unmatched tubes. Should arrive by tomorrow.

7. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Friend of mine owns a EAR 834P and rolled a lot of tubes into it before he found the set he really liked. He ended up with 1950s Mullard 12AX7 longplates. Not exactly cheap tubes.

He's owned a lot of gear over the years - McIntosh, Audio Research, some solid-state pieces, various vintage pieces, and swears that the 834P is his favorite phono stage of all time, getting that blend of musicality and warmth just right. YMMV, of course.

mreeter and zeitlos like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

To bring the images here, open the images in Imgur, then RIGHT-CLICK on the IMAGE, and select COPY.

Right-click in THIS reply box and click on PASTE.

9. zeitlos

Alright, let's try it again, even though the link wasn't that bad :)

So: EAR 834p Deluxe vs. Keces Ephono
    [​IMG]

EAR 834p Deluxe vs. Gold Note PH-10

[​IMG]

10. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Exactly my point. Check out the link - as far as I can see, the higher price is for having the triodes in a single tube matched. Not two tubes matched.

11. Strat-Mangler

Ha! You're correct.

Having said that, since the tubes are being sold as NOS, the differences in measurements between the triodes will only vary a little by definition. Otherwise, it wouldn't be classified as NOS by any reputable tube seller which this appears to be.

Furthermore, the speed at which the triode will lose its potency/power/whatever can differ from triode to triode. You could end up in 3 years (for instance) with a tube that will still measure relatively closely to what it did at the beginning while the other will be quite lower by a large margin.

What I'm essentially stating is it doesn't matter to such a degree that the triodes would need to be matched. As long as they're within 10% of each other, you're good. Nobody can guarantee the rate at which they'll age and lose their "power" so it's sort of a moot point and one of those stats better left to those who easily obsess over this stuff.

12. Strat-Mangler

NOW, you got it! Looks good. :)

zeitlos likes this.
  13. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, that is what Koray at nostubestore.com calls grade A. But anyway, I agree that the OP shouldn’t obsess over it—I have bought tubes that weren’t tested for balanced sections and still sounded fine. However, I have also experienced the opposite, but since the OP can return the tubes, it’s all good.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. I hear 834 and not thin sounding. I want one

15. Beware, you can't use 5751's as a V2 tube (the middle one) as this does around 25% of the amp but also RIAA de-equalization. The lesser gain of a 5751 will mess RIAA de-equalization up. Believe me, I've tried them and they render a weird sound.

zeitlos likes this.
  16. zeitlos

Oh... so you say the ones I ordered cannot be used in all three positions, at least if I want to have good sound? :(

17. Absolutely not. Let me explain briefly what tubes do on an EAR 834P. Tube 1 does 75% of amp for both stereo channels. Tube 2 does the remaining 25% of amp plus RIAA de-equalization, look for interviews with Tom de Paraviccini regarding the use of tubes on the EAR 834P and you'll find out that Tube 2 has to stick to 12AX7 specs, like a plain 12AX7, a 12AX7A or a 7025 tube as all this conform to the 12AX7 specs (the 7025 is like a 100% spec'ed 12AX7 but with less noise and hum), otherwise it will mess up RIAA de-equalization. As a tube 3 you can use a 12AX7 which is what the maker and designer of the EAR 834P suggests but a 12AU7 can also be used and some of us find the ear 834P better sounding with a 12AU7 as a tube 3.
    Do some Google research and you'll find out that what I'm telling you is true.

18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

There are 12AX7s being made in Slovakia, in an old tube factory taken over, refurbished and being run by a Swiss. Swiss-German :) I forget the name and I can't go look because I'm in Thailand right now on holiday. But they should be easy to find. They are better than those Russian tubes above. Much better. I have an EAR V20. 30 12AX7s.... 8 input stage, 24 output... I had those Russian tubes in. They are good. The Slovakian tubes are a whole lot better.

19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

My Swiss EAR mechanic is this guy:
    Homepage von Eternity-jo | Swiss Crafted Tube Amps

He works miracles.
    He also upgraded the capacitors and other stuff in my V20. He got a great sounding Amp sounding even better.
    Note: my phono amp is the EAR 324. Running an Amp full of triodes, the transistors open the sound up a bit more.
    I will stay with Paravicinis gear, planned upgrade is the 916 and the 509 monoblocks.

20. zeitlos

Unfortunately, the tubes haven't been delivered yet. But I'm quite confident that they will arrive tomorrow.

@James_S888: Thanks for sharing this alternative!

21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

agree,...i have one, its not thin sounding.

22. zeitlos

Then it can only be the tubes. Will know more tomorrow.

23. Strat-Mangler

Or a defective part as I mentioned previously

24. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

@zeitlos Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) is very helpful. I've purchased quite a few tubes from them, all NOS. TAD is really my favorite place to buy tubes. I've been very happy with all of them. E-mail or call and ask for the manager or person with most expertise in your specific case.

zeitlos likes this.
  25. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I bought Siemens and Telefunken NOS.

zeitlos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.