EAR 843P the best MM only phono stage ever?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by theflattire, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Put an order in for a Douk clone. Unfortunately I will have likely sent back my original, “real” 834p to my buddy prior to receiving the Douk so no A/B comparisons.

2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Would be interested in your thoughts Mr Spooky.:thumbsup:

theflattire likes this.
  3. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident Thread Starter

Radar blip: Rothwell Iridium

4. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

LR Corrector

5. theflattire

6. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

mkane likes this.
  7. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Good question. I don’t have this model. I have an earlier, pre production/development model with a different circuit (direct coupling/minimal parts). Just how much different, I do not know. Based on the sound of mine, I would think the current model sounds amazing. Keep in mind, I certainly don’t think there is a “best” phono stage.

These guys make a lot of smart design choices. For a simple example, one can use the phono without the usual 47k resistor at default ~300k input impedance or one can insert resistor plugs be it 47k or some other value. When using a low output cartridge with a step up transformer, that standard 47k resistor becomes unnecessary if the step transformer is properly matched to the phono stage and cartridge.

theflattire likes this.
  8. Hudson

Hudson Forum Resident

I owned an EAR 834p MC/MM version) for several years. It replaced a decent sounding ifi unit. With its smooth warm sound it was a nice pairing with brighter cartridges like the Ortofon 2M black. I needed more gain when I swapped to the Hana SL and I tried a Sutherland (too dry) and a Manley Chinook SE, which I loved and still own.

The 834p is nice but I would always choose the Manley. Way more loading options, better gain, better build and more dynamic.

Spooky and theflattire like this.
  9. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

So interesting. I went down the Chinook rabbit hole a few weeks ago and was close to convinced that would be my next purchase. Lots of conflicting opinions though. Some saying that while it sounded great, it had a less “tubey” presentation than other tube pre’s. I then went down the Decware ZP3 rabbit hole.

But at the end of the day, like someone else mentioned in this thread, if I really love the way the EAR sounds in my system then why not just replicate that (my 834p was on loan from a friend). Hence me choosing the Douk clone version (audio funds are tight after my McIntosh purchase).

Anyway…I do need to hear that Chinook somehow, some way at some point.

10. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I heard an 834 years ago in a familiar system and would describe exactly as you would. It’s a nice phono stage.

Ironically, I am listening at this moment to an ifi phono 3 into an autoformer passive pre (EMIA) into a Berning ZH270 amplifier and really impressed with the sound. I bought this device used and for the money paid, the performance is really quite amazing. In the context of this thread, I am using the MM input with my Lundahl silver step up transformer.

11. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I have read a lot about this iFi 3. I just don’t understand it at all. Lol. Just doesn’t seem possible to be that great considering it’s build, size, price, etc (although it’s not exactly cheap).

12. theflattire

I was surprised to see iFi break into that market. I think it's hard to lose the 'inexpensive' label, especially with audio folks. Like Pyle releasing a $1000 phono stage although I think iFi has a better reputation.
    You got Lehman, Slee, Sutherland, etc to go head to head with. Established names at that level that also have good reputations with their lower priced stages.

Spooky likes this.
  13. Hudson

Hudson Forum Resident

I had the Ifi2 phono preamp. It was a great sounding unit in its price range. The 834p was better. The Manley even more so.

Spooky likes this.
  14. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, I’m really enjoying the built in phono stage in my integrated amp during my wait for my 834p clone. Hadn’t really given it a shot before.

McIntosh MA8900.

Much more neutral than the 834p I was using. But quite detailed and dynamic. Or maybe I just love listening to records.

Plinko and theflattire like this.
  15. rexp

rexp Forum Resident

I compared the Ear to the phono stage in my Conrad Johnson PV6 pre amp, the latter was way better and the stage in the CAT SL1 pre is better than that.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Yeah, not exactly cheap anymore. I think Burr Brown has developed some really good fet opamps and a big reason for the good sound. I think it takes a lot more for designers to build discrete circuits to beat (within a relevant price range). I have another phono stage that uses a surface mount Burr Brown jfet and it is phenomenal.

Spooky likes this.
  17. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

I just listened to a TRON Seven phono stage which is the big brother of the Convergence MM in a local Hifi show and was truly smitten with the sound. I had never heard of TRON but it was one of the best analog setups I've heard in a show or even in my life lol. Having said that, the accompanying TT, cart, and tonearm were spectacular as well.

theflattire and gestalt like this.
  18. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Received my Douk 834p clone today.

It won’t power on. Any suggestions?

I’m hoping it’s a bad fuse. Not a great start.

19. garyalex

garyalex Forum Resident

If you’ve verified that they sent you a unit with the correct voltage, that the fuse is good, that you’re using a known good power cord and that the tubes are properly seated, I’d just send it back.

DOB sucks. Good luck.

Spooky likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Day Of Birth? :D

21. T69

T69 Forum Resident

Sometimes on these Chinese made things the power chord can be a very tight fit or just plain bad quality.

Spooky likes this.
  22. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Not the fuse. Not the power cord.

Really disappointed.

24. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Is the indication of not powering on just looking at the LED on the front? Or have you opened and verified the tube heaters aren't on either? Buying inexpensive Chinese tube gear is kind of a gamble unless you are technically inclined and prepared for a little troubleshooting beyond just checking the fuse. Do you have a DMM? How far are you prepared to go? Wanna open it up and have a look? Or will you just arrange to send it back? :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Spooky likes this.
  25. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I opened it up to ensure everything looked okay as far as connections, etc. tubes are in place and it all looked good to me.

After looking on the back of the unit, I think it’s a 240v unit. That’s how it’s labeled. I guess I need an exchange and until then maybe I’ll try it with a step down transformer.

theflattire likes this.