EAR 843P the best MM only phono stage ever?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by theflattire, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Oh, then it just doesn't have enough input voltage to operate. You would need a step up transformer to supply 240VAC.

Spooky likes this.
  2. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I will probably get a transformer from Amazon and then work with AliExpress to send me the correct unit. I’ll use the transformer in the meantime.

Anyone know what wattage the transformer should support? 500w?

theflattire likes this.
  3. Davey

I wouldn't use it if it is the wrong item, I'd just pack it back up and work on the exchange, but that's up to you. Did it have the option to select input voltage when you ordered? It's pretty low AC power, says 0.1A on back, which is around 24W @ 240VAC.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    theflattire and Spooky like this.
  4. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

No selectable voltage option when purchasing.

Maybe that’s just how they are and I should have assumed I’d need a transformer. Will a decent transformer have any negative effects on the SQ?

5. garyalex

garyalex Forum Resident

Dead out of box.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Never heard of it but I have heard and read many times DOA (Dead On Arrival). Thanks for clearing that up. :)

7. garyalex

garyalex Forum Resident

I think it’s more of an IT phrase. As in it’s 2:00am and you’ve just discovered that the replacement for that critical failed enterprise server is DOB.

8. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

The title says 843p but I think it meant 834p.

theflattire and Spooky like this.
  9. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident Thread Starter

ha
    I just noticed that...

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That would be DOOB.

11. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

Any idea on ETA, I would love to try this. I have CA linear tracking arm that only runs well with CA carts. All of their MC's .5mv or higher and I have a 16x SUT. I would like to try the trans impedance into my Ypsilon MM stage.

12. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

UPDATE (for anyone that cares):

Took it to my local repair shop. I think we fixed it.

Looks like it really does have a 115v transformer BUT…the fuse they put in it was for a 235v one. So he replaced it with a full 1amp fuse and we now have power!

Hopefully that was it. Gonna try it out back at home now.

13. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

2 records in.

Sounds pretty incredible. Lush, dynamic, 3D.

The Mc phono stage was nice. Detailed and punchy. I was getting used to it. But going back to this sound was a very notable step in the direction I’ve been trying to get to.

Of course I can’t directly compare anymore, but I don’t think I’d be able to tell between this and the “real” 834p I was using for 2 years.

And I have read they some have had hum or buzz issues with these clones. This one is every bit as silent as the other 834.

So far, so good.

14. theflattire

I'm out of the MM hunt for a while, maybe until next year.
    Got word the Iridium is out of production for a bit.
    That leaves the Clone or a Slipsik.

What cart are you running with the Clone?

15. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Nagaoka MP-200.

I opted for the MM only 834p clone. After a good bit of time with a Denon 103r MC cart I have decided I enjoy the Nagaoka sound more.

When and if I ever do go back to trying MC carts I’ll investigate a separate SUT. The internal one in the original EAR 834p has been debated as a weak spot. The weird battery operated one in the Douk clone option just freaks me out in general so I steered clear.

theflattire and FalseMetal666 like this.
  16. SonOFJames

SonOFJames Forum Resident

Anyone out there tried the recent smaller profile, 2 unit, with exposed tubes, 834 clone version ?

17. Davey

Are you talking about this one pictured below? It uses the Zero Zone boards, just packages it in two boxes instead of one, looks nice, flexible. Parts are still pretty cheap and questionable, but just $208 on ebay with PSVANE tubes, $165 without...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  18. theflattire

For two hunski I might try it!

19. Davey

Yea, there's an alternate version below with different boards and transformers and cases, few dollars more, but they are all pretty much the same as the Zero Zone single box versions, just a new flavor ... nice to get the transformer out of the phono box, though...

[​IMG]

20. SonOFJames

The more compact variation doesn't have the round transformer of a few of the other clones and original design. I wonder if the tubes are more susceptible to noise being exposed or if the units with 2 chassis are less noisy and less susceptible to hum? or if this just crappy transformer wind quality ?

The larger double unit without exposed tubes with the electronics box has a volume pot, although I do not need the pot.

Has there ever been a discussion of which versions of the boards use the better parts ?

I see the full Douk clone is up over $500 usd now with shipping

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  21. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Hmmmm…I got my “full Douk clone” for about $375 w/shipping a month ago. Holiday inflation?

theflattire likes this.
  22. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Who's version is that if you don't mind me asking? The boards look like Zhili, black with gold traces.

jeff

23. Davey

24. SonOFJames

that is on ali express or ebay ?

Spooky likes this.
  25. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Ali.