Early 60s Studio Guitar Recording Information Needed, how to recreate that sound today*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Raylinds, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I know there are people on this forum with a lot of knowledge about the history of studio recording. I am going to record some surf guitar instrumentals and am looking to get the sound of the early 60s surf bands like the Chantays, Challengers, Ventures, etc.

I have been trying to find out what mics were used on the guitar amps. I know Shure SM57s are the go-to mic for guitar cabs, but they didn't come out until 1965, so the very first surf recordings would not have used them.

I suspect condenser mics were used, but have no idea. Does anybody know or have ideas on what would likely have been used?

I could just use an SM57. I have also read that Seinnheiser e906s are great on clean electric guitars, but I would prefer something with the same frequency response from back in the day.

Thanks in advance.

2. Raylinds

Also what mixing console would have been used?

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Your only thinking about microphones?
    What about the source of the sound your wanting to capture?
    Fender Jaguars, Reverb tanks, and 'Showman' amplifiers ....
    Do you have those?

Strat-Mangler, Raylinds and Tim S like this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Probably the SM 57's predecessor, the 545

[​IMG]

still made, still available, and cheap

Generally, I don't like the sound of condensors on guitar amps. I'm sure there are plenty of vintage surf recordings where they did this.

The truth is if you have the right player, guitar, and amp, with a nice, boingy spring reverb, the microphone doesn't matter much - other than you have to get the placement right, but that should be easy.

5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Microphones are the least important part of your signal chain. The guitar and pickups, the effects pedals (I.e. the reverb pedal) used, and lastly the amp, in that order.

Raylinds and Tim S like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree with this, but you don't want reverb from any pedal - you want a spring reverb, either one built into an amp (almost always a Fender) or a vintage standalone unit - these are insanely expensive, imo, as are the reissue versions of these units.

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

bottom line - this is a super easy sound to get and to record properly

fender amp with spring reverb, any unmodified fender strat or jazzmaster or jaguar, sm57

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mic : Reslo

Raylinds likes this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Are you using heavy flatwound strings on your guitar?

10. action pact

It's hard to see what mic is being used on the amp, but it's such a great photo that I'm gonna post it anyway...

[​IMG]

11. action pact

Here's shots of the Wrecking Crew at Gold Star. It appears to be some sort of dynamic mics on the amps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. action pact

Here, there's a Neumann on the guitar amp:

[​IMG]

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Look, the back of the RCA-Victor album "Baja" by The Astronauts shows photos of them recording the album. Can someone grab it and put this guy out of his misery? Thanks.

Strat-Mangler, Raylinds and alexpop like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

I mean, either this is the sound you want or it ain't.

bluemooze, Steve Litos, Gary and 6 others like this.
  15. action pact

Looks like Neumann condensers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  16. Steve Hoffman

Thank you. I see an RCA ribbon on the left there..

So, get some Fender Showman amps or whatever, Fender guitars and some mics. Let it roll. If I can record Surftones' CECILIA ANN in my apartment using a Sony 1/4" four track and some cheap mics, I'm sure it can be done anywhere. Just keep it all Fender..

17. action pact

And use FLATWOUNDS!

18. Steve Hoffman

That's right. And don't compress and EQ the drums to ear bleeding **** like these modern Surf bands do when they record. Heck, the best old Surf records didn't even have EQ's to use. Just straight..

I had at one time written down the exact microphones that Wenzel used to record BOSS and PIPELINE at Downey Music/Wenzel's Music Town. He had 6 original mics, German I believe. Into a two-channel Magnachord tape recorder with a passive mixer which turned it all to mush (not an unpleasing sound, actually).

He upgraded to Ampex after Pipeline became a hit, changing the sound of the studio to a more harsh, upfront type of sound.

This is the first "hit" recorded with the new AMPEX two-track. His room echo was a home
    made thing with a bunch of tape heads on a bicycle track, to give it a delayed surf sound (listen to the DRUM BREAK on Bangalore at 0:32 and you can hear it).. As you can hear this YouTube version is from my Surf Legends CD (obviously) and isn't harsh. Wenzel re-recorded his "raw" stuff with a giant 5k treble boost, usually at Western or whatever studio Dot Records let him use for remixing..

19. Raylinds

I have a Jaguar with flatwounds a reissue fender tube reverb and a showman amp.

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

You're good to go. Any decent mic will get you what you want. Don't overthink this, just plug in and hit record.

Big Blue and O Don Piano like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

This is the "mushy" sound of Downey Records Studio in 1962. I like it but it's not to everyone's taste. German mics into an easily overloaded Magnachord tape record will do this to anything. I added some top EQ to this however; the original tape sounded like it had no top end whatsoever.. The 45 version cut at Western added a lot of 5k and extra reverb to cut the mono 45..

This is right from one of my CD versions. No sweat, glad it's going around..

Sneaky Pete, RH67, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

How the single in the UK was cut, from a full-track dub of the mono Dot mix which was a dub and channel combine of the stereo above.

Sneaky Pete and bluemooze like this.
  23. action pact

You found the sound. :agree:

Rick Bartlett, Exotiki and Tim S like this.
  24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

want that sound, first get a amp from that period, fender/vox etc, note *do not get a reissue* next get a gtr (not quite as important as the amp) from that period, there were virtually no pedals in the chain, so Gtr ---> Lead ----> Amp, this is actually quite important..

Recording chain would be something like this...

Tube Neumann probably a U67, 47 or a Ribbon, RCA Etc, into Tube Console to tape... chain pretty damn important, position mic NOT on the speaker grill like modern way but anywhere from say 12/18 inches out from speaker *very important*

there you have it....

The old amps sound different to the modern ones, one reason (there are a few) is the transformers in them were manufactured differently (don't have time to explain why) and thus they respond differently, more musical if you like

25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

This right here. With the right gear and a decent sounding recording rig you can nail the sounds.

I mean hell, this was just recorded with my iPhone: Dropbox - New Recording 18.m4a - Simplify your life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.