Early Era Steve Miller Band CD BEST masterings('68-'73 era)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., May 31, 2020.

1. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

The Joker XRCD.

2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

@Jerry
    Not sure if this is a "good price" but.....
    Got a NM Your Saving Grace $30 shipped(Capitol Records - CDP 7 94448 2)

Got Children Of The Future,Sailor & Brave New World both NM$15 shipped too:)

Thanks to everyone on here for the info/insights as it is appreciated! I will one by one get the Original Capitals for the Larry Walsh mastering :righton:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    c-eling and Jerry like this.
  3. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

George, do you hear hiss on this cd? A forum member said it sounded dead as if NR was used:

Steve Miller Band: Is there a decent sounding comp of his early stuff?

I opted for Anthology mastered by Larry Walsh. Steve likes his Steve Miller masterings. He commented on the Sailor cd which he mastered. Same thread I linked to.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Was this question ever answered? Are the '93 Japanese CDs the same as the original Capitol discs?

Or the 2007 Japanese CDs, for the matter.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  5. btomarra

@George P I know I am posting on an old post of yours but I asked you this a year ago and didn’t get a reply. Started a thread a year ago asking for confirmation of NR (others raised this question too on past threads) with no response.

Steve Miller Best of 1968-1973 opinions? NR?

Do you hear hiss on this? One forum member said this sounded dead from heavy NR. Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  6. btomarra

Sorry, @George P It appears you did respond. Just did a thorough search and found where you replied and listened closely to the cd. You didn’t hear much hiss. But overall thought the cd sounded good. I have my answer and I thank you. :wave:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

You're welcome! I thought I had answered, but I can't always trust my memory. :laugh:

8. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Hi George...I'm wondering if you've also heard the Anthology CD, and how the sounds compares to the '68-73 best of comp.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, haven't heard that one. I'm good with my three DCC Steve Miller CDs and the Best of 68-73 comp.

10. btomarra

I have it and think it sounds fine. There was room for quite a few tracks found on Best of 1968-1973 missing here. Instead of Jackson-Kent Blues from No. 5, you get this great ballad:

Cool hand luke, George P and c-eling like this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

1990 Anthology US JVC I picked up recently. Larry Walsh is credited for the CD mastering on it, if that means anything to anyone.
    EQ pretty much matches the US Capitol JAX albums. Warm to neutral. These recording's are not audiophile by any means.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  12. btomarra

Steve our host likes his mastering and praised the Sailor cd he also did. Warm, and matches the vinyl? Good enough for me!!! :righton:

I have no idea who mastered Best of 1968-1973.

Cool hand luke and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Excellent, thanks Brian. I'm pretty much good with the old stuff now :)

Cool hand luke and btomarra like this.
  14. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I think Anthology is missing Quicksilver Girl, IIRC?

btomarra likes this.
  15. btomarra

Yes, it is missing. Only one track from Sailor. If Best of 1968-1973 has NR, removing all the hiss it is a no-go for me.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  16. Trainspotting

I just picked up the Edsel 2012 Children of the Future CD because it has "Sittin' in Circles" as a bonus track. I didn't notice too much difference in sound quality between that and the 1989 Capitol disc. I did enjoy the booklet though with the lyrics and essay. So much that I'm going to get the rest of the Edsel discs.

17. btomarra

How is the mastering compared to the 1989 cd

18. Trainspotting

Like I said, I didn't notice too much of a difference. But then I'm no audiophile like so many here and my ears aren't as attuned. Can't look at wave forms either. I mainly bought it for the stand-alone 45 bonus track, and the booklet. I guess now I'll have all of the original Capitol CDs plus the Edsel discs. Don't think I need the Japanese CDs as I've heard they're pretty much the same mastering as the Capitol discs.

btomarra likes this.
  19. btomarra

Found Your Saving Grace. The others I bought have colored disc labels but mine is just silver. It matches eBay listings dated 1994 mastered by Larry Walsh. Is this what yours looks like?

[​IMG]

20. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

Yes.

btomarra likes this.