Earth Wind & Fire: Best Mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. scocs

scocs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am looking for opinons on the best sounding EWF. I am a fan of warm, analogue sound that blossoms when I turn it up. I do not like compressed, digital, bright sound. Can be cd or sacd, but it should be the following albums:

1. Open Our Eyes
    2. That's the Way of the World
    3. Spirit
    4. All 'N' All

I am very curious to know if the mastering on the 32DPs of #2 and #4 is the same as their other non-remastered counterparts?

Thanks for your thoughts....
    Scott

Rockford & Roll and Heckto35 like this.
  2. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

That's the Way of the World - MFSL SACD
    All 'N' All - Japanese SACD

Not sure about the other two.

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. Say

Say Forum Resident

other than vinyl, the MFSL 'That's The Way Of The World' SACD is ok, nothing real special imo. The real winner is the Sony Mastersound gold disc for All "N' All (haven't heard the Japanese sacd).

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

I Would recommend the -99 (?) remastered versions of 3 & 4, with bonus tracks. They sound great! (Personally I find the All n All Mastersound totally lifeless & dead).

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. scocs

The real winner is the Sony Mastersound gold disc for All "N' All (haven't heard the Japanese sacd).

Personally I find the All n All Mastersound totally lifeless & dead).

Wow, talk about 180 degrees difference! What the funk's a guy gonna do?!

Paul_T, j7n, George P and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

I personally believe that no compression whatsoever was added to the Mastersound. In many cases this can be a very good thing. Since this is a "funk" album, i dont think it manages without a little oomph.

The remasterings are very tastefully Done.

Also, many "rare" cds are usually overrated imo.

Jarleboy and Heckto35 like this.
  7. Say

Say Forum Resident

All 'N' All Mastersound is a very dynamic cd, you just turn up your volume knob to play it in all its glory. It's still clear as a bell.

Elton, Heckto35 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  8. Say

Say Forum Resident

scocs, if you want warm then try to find Gratitude (CK 33694). Alive In '75 sacd is also a good one. Note - the mastersound I suggested earlier may be a touch to bright for you in regards to the first song. If so turn up the bass.

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. scocs

Thanks for the input.

I am still trying to determine if the 32DPs of TRWOTW and ANA (first Japan pressings) utilize the same mastering as the standard US releases.

It's funny how much info is on the forum regarding "classic rock" but not that much on the Funk when it comes to older releases....

VH3FAN, George P and Heckto35 like this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

No question that the Japanese SACD of "All-N-All" is a truly great sounding disc, one of my favorite SACD's, but long out of print and going for crazy $$$'s.

I have to agree with member "Say", who said that the MFSL SACD of "That's The Way..." was o.k., but not essential, in fact it was quite a disappointment, to be honest!

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. scocs

Why was it a disappointment? Seems to get generally glowing reviews...

12. Say

Say Forum Resident

it may have touched a few audiophile buttons in regards to clarity but the mid-range is too overwhelming (grating), and is compressed to boot. It just isn't all that pleasant of a long term listen. However, ymmv.

WhatDoIKnow and George P like this.
  13. scocs

If it sounds like the MFSL sacd of "Hot Buttered Soul" then it should be great.

14. Say

Say Forum Resident

now that hot buttered soul is a good one. What a nice album and production. Can You Dig It (Ultimate Hits) is also a nice one as is Black Moses being a remaster.

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Not--

Here?!?…..

Marcmusic likes this.
  16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Well, maybe not that funny.

Heckto35, rockinlazys and Grant like this.
  17. scocs

How about "Open Our Eyes" and "Spirit"? Any thoughts?

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Not a big Earth, Wind and Fire fan, but I must agree that the Sony Mastersound of "All 'N' All" is a real knockout in terms of sound quality. I have the first edition that came in that special longbox that opens up (I don't know if the mastering changed after they went to a more regular package).

WhatDoIKnow and Heckto35 like this.
  19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Same as mine, sounds good to me. Even the crappiest versions of this one should never be described as dull and lifeless. The pinnacle of their career!

Heckto35 likes this.
  20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The current CD remasters out there will fit the bill.

I recently A/B'd a bunch of EWF CD remasters with their original vinyl counterparts, and they pretty much matched, with the CDs sounding a tad clearer. This is when I confirmed that MFSL boosted the highs on their CD or "That's The Way Of The World". Obviously, my standard are the original vinyl albums.

Mark Wilder got it right. Everyone else, like MFSL and the Japanese are just dicking around with the sound.

Also, the Columbia remaster of "I Am" has the full length version of the song "You And I".

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    WhatDoIKnow, C6H12O6 and Heckto35 like this.
  21. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

Oh, & don't forget my favourite track! "Diana"! The horn arr. on that track is one of the best EWF ever!

I will never understand how that track didn't end up on the album. They should've scrapped "Boogie Wonderland". That track is so misplaced on "I Am" it isn't even funny. IMO the worst EWF track ever. Well, I guess it made them millions $$$ though...

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. scocs

and the Japanese are just dicking around with the sound.

You mean nowadays with things mini-lp cds or do you mean like blu-ray cds?

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. sjas1962

sjas1962 Forum Resident

For me, The Columbia Masters box set sounds fantastic and its one stop shopping. Win Win for me.

Regards,
    Steve

MrSka57, Heckto35, RoyalScam and 2 others like this.
  24. scocs

Is the mastering on the Columbia Masters different than the Wilder remasters?

Heckto35 likes this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Mastering. the format and packaging doesn't matter.