Earth Wind & Fire: Best Mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm almost 100% sure those are the Wilder remasters.

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Vinyl is still the way to go for best sounding EW&F recordings but other than that, the Mastersound Gold CD of All 'N All sounds better than the remastered version of the same album. As someone here already mentioned, it needs some volume boost to be able to appreciate it better.

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. AudiophilePhil

That's my observation too of this forum since joining in early 2004. I noticed that the majority of the members are the classic rock -type listeners and only very few have good knowledge of R&B, soul and funk music genres. Perhaps the most popular soul artist here is Marvin Gaye and Classic rock and jazz are the most popular music genres in this forum.

In addition, it seems like the taste of the majority of people in this forum is leaning toward the Rolling Stone magazine and R&RHOF's music preferences. Whatever is written in that magazine, people are accepting it as if it's the ultimate fact. I called that 'gullibility'. More often than not, it's the RS magazine and other media sources who made the decision for the general public about which artists are cool and not so cool.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Any LP/CD recommendations for Raise!?

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. AudiophilePhil

Get the Japanese pressing of the Sony Mastersound vinyl which is I think the best sounding pressing of this album.

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

For cd I recommend any japanese remaster since 2004. I have many copies of raise, but i think the last one is the best. It also has some bonus trax + i "think" it's remastered from the master tapes, not a DSD-file, cause it has a reel tape nr in the inserts. Dont know anything bout vinyl...

Heckto35 and hi_watt like this.
  7. sjas1962

sjas1962 Forum Resident

According to the liner note, the box was also mastered by Mark Wilder.

Regards,
    Steve

proedros and Grant like this.
  8. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I have several versions of all of these and for me (and my friend collectors) in every case the Japanese Blu-Spec Cds sound the best.

9. Grant

That is why any thread around here about R&B gets so few participants, unless it's about, say, Stevie Wonder. When I was growing up in a predominantly White town, I used to think most everyone liked R&B. That's how it was back in the 70s and 80s where I lived. It wasn't until I got on this forum that I discovered there were people who actively hated R&B! If Stevie Wonder had not been so successful as a crossover artist back in the 70s, he would not have gotten the attention on this forum that he has, and Audio Fidelity would never have done unprecedented remasters from second-generation copies of the album masters! Look at the Isley Brothers. This forum's interest and knowledge seems to stop at the "3+3" album, when the band put out classic albums every single year! And, they crossed over!

Truth be told: Rolling Stone magazine did not have that much influence back in the day. Most of the time, today, a small number of these boomers with big voices on the internet are just looking at their past nostalgically. Even with most of these younger guys who love "classic rock" more than anything new, they weren't even alive back then, so they are just adopting what their elders are saying, and have no experience. I'm in my early 50s. Even when I look back on the music of the 60s with my first hand, I was there, experience, I didn't experience the 60s in the same way our older boomers did. Living where I did, I had no clue that our music was part of a cultural movement. But, at least I was there!

But, we are digressing here.

MikeManaic61 and Heckto35 like this.
  10. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Not doubting you but the original US pressing sounds wonderful also.

Heckto35 and hi_watt like this.
  11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Thanks! I will be on the lookout

12. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Thank you for the information as well!

13. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I think that Faces and Gratitude belong on your list. The live version of "Shining Star" on Gratitude is magnificent and it alone is worth the price of admission!

MikeManaic61, Heckto35, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

i didn't care for the re-masterings, i'm happier w/the dull old ceedees. Tho i'll have too try & track down other releases others have mentioned here.
    BIG thanks, all.
    Funny* that they think there's not enough "Funk" on a "Rock" forum tho.
    i bet there's a greater % of "Funk" on this forum then the % of "Funk" Steve has mastered, so far, in his vary varied career**.
    And that's a good thing!

* i know what you mean... even tho i'm a "Honky"!
    ** even if that's not true... we got Grant & that makes for a lot of "Funkiness" up in here!!

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. jeffrey walsh

16. jeffrey walsh

17. jeffrey walsh

18. Grant

The live versions of "Devotion", "Sun Goddess" and "Reasons" are among the highlights. Even "Sunshine" was a very popular studio cut.

I'm not big on live albums, but "Gratitude" is essential! When I was growing up, it was perhaps the most popular album until "All 'N All" came out.

alanhed, Heckto35, ffracer and 3 others like this.
  19. I have all of their albums on CD, bought individually, and I like the Wilder remasters vs. the originals and the bonus tracks are great.

Heckto35 and RoyalScam like this.
  20. Grant

Well, you should be reminded that the older CDs had defective mastering.

The original CD of "That's The Way Of The World" cut out the first interlude, and the sound was thin.

The original "I Am" CD had a glitch at the end of "In The Stone".

"Gratitude" omitted a track, if I remember correctly.

And, again, I A/B'ed the Mark Wilder remasters to the original Columbia vinyl albums, and they are very close!

I don't know about that. If you didn't grow up with the funk like some of us did, you may not realize just how little of it is discussed. I think that goes directly to the membership's relative lack of interest.

Well, Steve works for labels, so he does not dictate what he will release. And, those labels have their own reasons for not releasing more R&B/funk/soul...whatever you wanna call it. Steve has mastered quite a bit of the music on comps that are now all OOP.

:wtf: Better watch it! I'll fart on you!

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Did you expect anything diff here at "SHMF"?!?!
    Yep, you got too know who prefers "Old" & who prefers "Re-"; pretty tough unless they remind you in their post which other releases are best for them.
    Luckily, it lOOks too me like you've got a good chance too do so here, so far.
    If someone does post something about something your unfamiliar w/, just ask em, their SURE too chime in w/more info on why they think such'n'such is the best! :laugh:

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Good too know. I've only got the old "TBO... Vol. 1" [and the re-mastered promo sampler] so wasn't commenting on the specific titles.
    Imagine same "defects" are carried over too the "TBO... Vol. 1" tho.
    Really good too know.
    You "don't know about that" what?!?! i sure do see how much "Funk" is or isn't diss-cuss-ED here at "SHMF". Or, it there a "Funk Filter" [TM] i don't know bout???
    Duh, it "goes directly to the membership's relative lack of interest"! Do you really think the membership is goes too discus subjects they aren't interested in?
    My % thingy was a reality check [this is the "Steve Hoffman Music Forums" not the "Funky Funk Forums" (TM)] as well as a complement too the membership here. Of course take it any way you want.
    Thought that all went w/o saying, just saying...
    Yikes! Again, good too know "Mr. Funky"!! :p

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. jeffrey walsh

The SACD of Gratitude is one of my prized collection possessions, essential without hesitating!

24. Grant

But, it's also not the Steve Hoffman Classic Rock Forums, either. We actually have some members who think it is.

I ate something with dairy in it. :)

Heckto35, zebop and BIG ED like this.
  25. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Butt it is "Steve's" forum therefore your going too get people that not only know of Steve butt like Steve's work as well & Steve's work does not include a lot of "Funk".
    Sorry bout that!

BurnED "Groove On! - Vol. 3" while on the forum today, sooooo...
    Yew Moo!
    Time for lunche' tho!!
    Bye

Heckto35 likes this.