Earth Wind & Fire: Best Mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

"Diana" is essential!

Heckto35 likes this.
  2. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answer. The Columbia Legacy remasters from 98-02 differ from the remasters available in the Columbia Masters boxset? The 98-02 stoped at "I Am", so the remaining albums from the Culumbia Masters boxset are brand new remasters only available there? I'm looking for the best, warmth, closest to vinyl sound on a digital media. The remasters are really better than the original CDs? The MFSL, Audio Fidelity and Mastersound editions available should be the best options too, right?

One more thing: any tips on the best "Average White Band" masterings?

Cheers.

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I bought the Columbia Masters box, it is excellent but ended up adding the Wilder remasters with bonus tracks later on, they extremely cheap via Amazon third party sellers. So I am doubled up on some releases.

Bananas&blow and RoyalScam like this.
  4. Poxy Bowsy

Things are much simpler than that: most people here just loves the Beatles and hates everybody who doesn't consider them the greatest band in the universe. Oh, and you can't say **** about them. If you like them, but just don't love them, you should keep your mouth shut.

Coaltrain and Heckto35 like this.
  5. Poxy Bowsy

Defective mastering aside, do you still thonk the Mark Wilder remasters sound better than the original CDs?

6. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

The remasters are very good. I would go for the 98-02 cds. The extra trax are essential. Especially spirit & i am.

7. Poxy Bowsy

Heckto35 likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do indeed!

I determined it by doing an A/B comparison of my original vinyl albums to their Mark Wilder CD counterparts. They are damn close, sonically, with the CDs being just a bit cleaner with tad more weight. The only reason for me to hang on the to the vinyl is for the nostalgia. The original Columbia CDs have been long gone from my collection. I never want to see them again!

Even the original Columbia "I Am" CD had a nasty defect on the first interlude after "In The Stone".

The only CD that Wilder didn't do, to my knowledge, are the ones after 1979's "I Am".

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

However: I sampled the remasters on Pono, and one of them didn't sound quite right.

10. eelkiller

You are right Grant, but he did the albums post 1979 for the box set IIRC?

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I own a 2006 rerelease of Raise! from this 2004 DSD mastering session and it sounds compressed, bright and boomy. Not a nice listen. Also see the online DR database.

I can't tell you if the original 2004 releases are less compressed, though.

Heckto35 likes this.
  12. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

I actually like the 2004 remasters (i agree somewhat on the brightness part), but have little doubt that Wilders remasters sound better...

13. Poxy Bowsy

I found some case photos of these 2004 japanese DSD remasterings and it seems they're the same as the 98-02 remasterings. On the back it says "Mastered by Mark Wilder at Sony Music Studios", so Mark did them too. Don't know if the 2006 japanese releases are different or if the Blu-Specs are different too.

Heckto35 and eelkiller like this.
  14. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

They're the same up to "i am". After that the japs fly solo...

Poxy Bowsy and Heckto35 like this.
  15. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

Shame isn't it? I'm a funkateer just like you so I hear you!:righton:

16. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

Friday Music just released I Am on 180 gram clear audiophile vinyl and You and I is in its entirety on there as well.

17. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

And the two Dirty songs are great too!

Grant likes this.
  18. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

I just got the AWB white album on vinyl yesterday. It's 180 grams and audiophile quality and sounds perfect to me!

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Some folks say "Friday Music" and "audiophile vinyl" is a contradiction...maybe worth seeking a view on this specific release. The CBS originals of I Am and their other albums are good sounding and quite common/inexpensive.

Heckto35 likes this.
  20. My understanding is the CBS/Sony Japan (Sony Music) reissues after I Am are the continuation of the remaster series. I have Head to the Sky (before) and Electric Universe (after). Both sound very good.

21. eelkiller

Mark Wilder did the albums after I Am in the box set, maybe the Japan reissues are clones?

22. Don't know, but both CDs' inner liner notes state Bernie Grundman mastering, but I would suspect that is from the LP liner notes. These are part of the MHCP 40x series CDs released in Japan by Sony Music. Sony Music did a nice job with these, amazing some of them were not available in the USA! I got them in Tokyo on a biz trip.

Rasputin and eelkiller like this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Is there only one mastering out there of the fabulous "The Need Of Love" cd? How come no one ever talks about that album?

Heckto35 likes this.
  24. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

Well I disagree about that. It definitely for me was an improvement on my original pressing. Of course that's only because my original has been played a lot. The few (4) "audiophile pressings" I have, have for sure lived up to their title. That's just me of course.

25. Poxy Bowsy

That sounds so funny.