Earth Wind & Fire: Best Mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

I did some FLAC comparison by ear between the Columbia Masters boxset and the japanese DSD masterings. After "I Am", they sound different, so definitely not clones.

Rasputin likes this.
  2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thanks, I like the box set so I will proceed no further.

3. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I really like the IMPEX reissue of That's The Way of The World, on vinyl, mastered by Kevin Gray. Shining Star sounds a little light on the bottom end, but otherwise it's fantastic. I prefer it to the MFSL SACD.

4. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

I don't like them very much, but they're the best digital masterings i've heard so far.

5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

It is a great album and 'Millennium' from the early 1990s is even better, but unfortunately, neither were on the Columbia Label, so were not part of the Columbia Box Set.

Heckto35 and Grant like this.
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, no. Remember that the original CD of "I Am" has a glitch at the end of "In The Stone".

Heckto35 likes this.
  7. Grant

There is a rule here that if you want to comment on sound quality, you have to list your equipment, or they can remove your posts.

Heckto35 and RubenH like this.
  8. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Huge EW&F listener pretty much all my life. I feel the original vinyl issues are pretty good, some in the excellent category. I also have some CD versions, most I don't care for. The only one being the Sony Master Sound gold CD of All n All, pretty amazing to me.
    (Gear listed on my info page) :)

ultron9 and Heckto35 like this.
  9. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

Wtf? Lol what foolishness. Anyhow I have Sharp bookshelf speakers with the Technics SU-V76 amp stanton T.92 turntable ($300.00) with the hifi-esque groovemaster v3 cartridge (around $200.00) Some might think those parts can't compare to a "audiophile set up" but it definitely can hold its own with the generally "higher end" stuff.

10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Sorry, I was talking about the vinyl.

11. Grant

There is a big long thread about it. The owner of this place has a good reason for it.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Just trying to be helpful: List your equipment in your profile, not in a thread. The idea isn't to compare who has the "best" system but rather to give some context to members' assessments of the relative merits of different releases.

13. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

I actually don't mind that, I just thought and yet still think it pretty stupid to delete a comment like that just because of not having your equipment listed, but seeing as I take pride in my setup I will definitely list what I have in my bio.

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  15. prunus-

prunus- Forum Resident

The BBR remaster > Spririt looks very nice done, good dynamic range and a decent peak level.

DR Peak RMS
    DR13 -0.30 dB -15.64 dB 3:38 ?-BIYO
    DR15 -0.47 dB -19.81 dB 6:48 ?-BURNIN’ BUSH
    DR11 -9.25 dB -27.08 dB 0:27 ?-DEPARTURE
    DR13 -0.30 dB -15.78 dB 4:41 ?-EARTH,WIND&FIRE
    DR13 -0.30 dB -15.02 dB 3:47 ?-GETAWAY
    DR14 -0.30 dB -16.04 dB 5:16 ?-IMAGINATION
    DR13 -0.30 dB -14.70 dB 4:33 ?-ON YOUR FACE
    DR14 -0.30 dB -15.96 dB 4:02 ?-SATURDAY NITE
    DR12 -0.30 dB -15.97 dB 3:13 ?-SPIRIT
    DR13 -0.30 dB -15.82 dB 4:55 10-SATURDAY NITE(Alternate Mix|????·????)
    DR16 -0.30 dB -18.74 dB 2:07 11-SERAPHIM(????·????)
    DR11 -5.99 dB -19.75 dB 1:03 12-IMAGINATION(Angels Mix|????·????)
    DR13 -0.67 dB -19.91 dB 3:37 13-DEPARTURE(The Traveler|????·????)
    DR16 -0.30 dB -21.01 dB 2:03 14-AFRICAN SYMPHONY(????·????)
    DR13 -0.30 dB -15.38 dB 5:09 15-GETAWAY(12?Disco Version|????·????)
    DR14 -0.30 dB -16.13 dB 3:40 16-SATURDAY NITE(Singles Version|????·????)
    DR11 -1.52 dB -19.61 dB 2:54 17-DEPARTURE(Single Version|????·????)
    DR14 -0.30 dB -16.55 dB 3:51 18-GETAWAY(Instrumental|????·????)

Album details - Dynamic Range Database »

Bananas&blow and Heckto35 like this.
  16. Martynthejazz

Martynthejazz Well-Known Member

Just saw this thread, just to let you know uk stores now selling Earth wind & Fire Vinyl LP gratitude live double for about £22... music legacy....
    I Already own two orig older mint copies, so not for me.....but nice to get some funk, soul, on the forum.

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. Grant

This looks encouraging. I hope it means that whomever did the mastering has backed off the limiter. My question is, did they back off the compressor and the EQ too?

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

BBR has gotten much better on their mastering over the past year or two. It started during their Salsoul reissues (somewhere midway through the series you can hear the limiting lessen). Their Al Jarreau Breakin' Away remaster was actually really good, IMO! I just wish they figured their mastering out years ago.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

That's good to know. I purchased a number of their early releases. Given that they were all horribly mastered, I pretty much gave up on them as a reissue label even though they reissue quite a bit of music that would otherwise interest me. I doubt they have done so, but if they did a "secret remaster" of Gloria Gaynor's "Never Can Say Goodbye" I would probably double dip for that one. Their original cd is one of the worst I've ever heard.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How about the best sounding Gratitude on vinyl? I have an original Columbia. Has it been bettered?

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

That Gaynor disc had multiple issues, mostly major phasing issues (probably in an ill-conceived attempt to widen the sound field). The limiting was only part of the problem. I bought all of the post-Central Heating Heatwave remasters when they came out on BBR. Now THOSE were limited within an inch of their lives. They've improved...I'd still be cautious, though.

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

Why buy from bbr when japan remaster the same music better, with nicer inlays?

23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Spirit has been issued on the Speakers Corner label, according to the UK distributor (Pure Pleasure Records), and has been well reviewed for sound quality. It should be good if the Speakers Corner version of That's the Way of the World is anything to go by.

ultron9 and Heckto35 like this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

What do folks think of the AF mastering of Open Your Eyes?

25. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Wayne A. Dickson performed the mastering and IMHO did an amazing job. The BBR is my go to release for Spirit. I get no sense that a limiter, compressor or very little if any EQ was used. It has 9 bonus tracks (4 more than the 2001 remaster) including Getaway (12" Version) which is a lot of fun! Sadly it is already OOP. Highly recommended if you can find it.

Heckto35 likes this.