Eastern/Indian Music influenced Jazz Recs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking some more off the beaten path stuff outside of Alice Coltrane. New and old.

Something with Sitars or Tanpura maybe.

Thanks.

2. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    UK altoist Joe Harriott

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

For South Asian jazz fusion, definitely check out the above mentioned Joe Harriot- John Mayer stuff.

Additions off the top of my head:

For contemporary stuff, Rudresh Mahanthappa's stuff, maybe Kinsmen, with the ensemble he co-led with the great saxophonist Kadri Gopalnath, or Agrima by his Indo-Pak coalition, and Rez Abbassi's.

Ravi Shankar's Improvisations albums has collaborations with jazz musicians like Bud Shank and Gary Peacock.

Charlie Mariano did fusion with South Indian music, maybe more Carnatic than jazz. . Check out his albums with the Karnataka College of Percussion -- there's Jyothi, and a live one.

I'm not sure it's jazz per se but John McLaughlin's Shakti. Zakir Hussain has played all kinds of music including lots of South Asian/jazz fusion. Maybe his Making Music.

5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I highly recommend Nafs at Peace by Jaubi.

6. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

For a short time I took guitar lessons from the player in this band - very rhythmically intensive, my whole musical life for a quarter was trying to incorporate Indian tal into my playing. Always just out of reach. Ancient Future may be a little more "new age" sounding than what you're looking for, but worth digging into with a cup of coffee on a quiet Sunday morning.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I saw shakti in the 70s. Mind blowing.

Panama Hotel and Jerquee like this.
  8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Not really jazz but I think it's worthy of a mention.

johnod likes this.
  9. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

You should investigate the early 70's work of Don Cherry as well. Find his album Brown Rice on YouTube.

10. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Of course Within You Without You is only a pastiche of Indian music, for some it may be their sum total exposure. Here Jimmy Herring performs an incendiary version in a jazz fusion setting. One of my favorite guitar-centric Beatles covers ever.

11. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

DJ LX likes this.
  12. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Pat Martin0 - Baiyina (The Clear Evidence)

Shawn, frightwigwam and saw119 like this.
  13. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

Oh man, I absolutely love this album. I'm so glad you mentioned it as you've reminded me to listen to it again.

14. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

BTW, Mahanthappa's records are usually pretty great, but that Kinsmen project is particularly special. Just saw some video clips of a UMASS performance they did. Wish I had seen this band.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  16. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Rabih Abou-Khalil, a Lebanese oud player who has recorded many albums for the enja label.

Also check out The Well by Brad Shepik. And trumpeter, Yazz Ahmed.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

ubiknik and frightwigwam like this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Febian Reza Pane - Dreams of Ganesha

19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I have many albums but this tune remains one of my favorites.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  20. I like the Diga Rhythm Band. Granted, it's almost entirely percussion. But the ensemble playing on classical Indian tal meter exercises- "Magnificent Sevens", "Sweet Sixteens"- is terrific. A real fun big-group extrapolation on a form that one most often only hears by a solo tabla player, or by a duet of percussionists. There are melodies- on the track "Sweet Sixteens", it's carried by a vibraphone

21. You may just find that you like straight-up Indian classical music, like the sarod playing of Ali Akbar Khan. He's also done collaborations with American jazz musicians- for instance, with saxophonist John Handy

22. Yusef Lateef has some Eastern-influenced material. As does Charles Lloyd. And Gabor Szabo's Jazz Raga. (The Youtube clips I've auditioned sound like they were a needle drop from a turntable with a bad motor, though.)

And, oh yeah, it isn't just Alice Coltrane who got into Eastern musical influences. So did her husband.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  23. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

the Joe Harriott & John Mayer Double Quintet's Indo-Jazz Suite is a fantastic blending of Indian classical music and western jazz:

mbennet and ubiknik like this.
  24. One of my local FM stations used to broadcast an hour of Indian raga music every weekend, in the early 1970s. I was around 15, 16 years old. I found that I loved straight-up Indian ragas on sitar, with drone accompaniment on the tanpura. An acquired taste, but one that I had little difficulty acquiring.

saw119 likes this.
  25. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

To follow up on PH's comments on more traditional Indian music - I'd suggest Ravi Shankar's album "Three Ragas." Something I've enjoyed quite a bit.
    Found it searching for more traditional fare after really enjoying the Mermen song "White Trash Raga" - which isn't traditionally Indian NOR Indian/Jazz mix, but it's a lot of fun too...

mbennet likes this.