Easy, Free Tweak for CD/SACD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

You may be 1 in a million people who are not influenced by the power of suggestion or preconceived notions. As for the others on this thread, I would suggest they try it and maybe learn a little about themselves.

What do you mean by quick switching? Do you think that they need to lower the weight onto the cd player very slowly with a motorized pulley system?

shadowhillway likes this.
  2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I'm hardly one in a million. There's plenty of members here who are confident in their abilities and I personally know plenty of audio geeks who are too. Frankly, I have a hard time understanding why some in this hobby would be influenced by seeing what they are listening to. After all, physical beauty is only skin deep.

Quick switching as in listen to something for say 30 seconds, then switch around whatever and listen to it that way for another 30 seconds, wash, rinse, repeat. One needs to get a good listen to absorb what they are hearing, maybe even jot down a few notes to compare with later.

George P likes this.
  3. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Where are you getting this from? I don't think this is true for the vast majority of people, and it doesn't seem to make much sense. There's either a difference or not. Right? Everybody in this thread who has stated that they heard a difference one way or another did so by doing what you call quick switching. If they heard a difference doing this quick switching with advanced knowledge of whether the weight was on or off, they should be able to repeat that determination blindly. That's just how things work.

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Experience, that's where I'm getting from. Mine and a lot of others with it too.

No, sometimes there is no difference.

I'm not seeing that everyone posting in this thread used quick switching.

Apparently, that's how you work and think everyone else should. I vehemently disagree.

5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Well if you don't want to place anything on top of your cd player (or dac) put something under it ! Not as a platform but really supporting as much of the bottom plate as you can on it. So you will need something a bit higher than the feet of your device, so that the feet are off the shelf/cabinet and the bottom plate is resting on whatever you want to put under it.
    As I allready said, I used stacked slabs of cork/rubber under my dac.

[​IMG]

Dave likes this.
  6. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Discovered granite place mats for weights a couple of years back, just after I discovered supports for kit to sit on

My lovely TAD D-1000 currently has, on top
    Granite place mat on
    Electric Beach (1" laminated wood blocks) on
    Black Ravioli Mk 3s
    It sits on
    Black Ravioli Mk 3s on
    Electric Beach (1" laminated big wood block) on
    Black Ravioli Mk3s on
    Creaktiv rack

Isolation or what
    Who says you can have too much of a good thing ?
    :)

7. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

The damping of the digital stream is a very good idea. No more shiny bits or drowned in bass noise. the 0 and 1 values are heard now clear and sound. The true audiophile sound quality.

But... What's this? A simple audio rip made with a $20 CD player. No books on top. Books are made for reading not for damping the motor vibrations.
    Code:
    Exact Audio Copy V1.3 from 2. September 2016
    EAC extraction logfile from 10. March 2020, 18:47
    Used drive  : HL-DT-STDVDRAM GP57EB40   Adapter: 1  ID: 0
    Track  1

Filename E:\extract\Chicane feat. Bryan Adams - Trance Nation Three - 01 - Don’t Give Up (original mix).wav

Peak level 100.0 %
         Extraction speed 1.3 X
         Track quality 100.0 %
         Test CRC 61A4B016
         Copy CRC 61A4B016
         Accurately ripped (confidence 18)  [1DAF8093]  (AR v2)
         Copy OK
    All tracks accurately ripped
    No errors occurred
    End of status report

---- CUETools DB Plugin V2.1.6

[CTDB TOCID: qpGGdn18pT6MJmAl4QPW_QgmVMo-] found
    Submit result: qpGGdn18pT6MJmAl4QPW_QgmVMo- has been confirmed
    Track | CTDB Status
      1   | (42/81) Accurately ripped
    ==== Log checksum D372BC0B636C43E92CC344E9A86035D0E2C10C3322A9778E647E8409FFF4718C ====

8. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Can you please outline your procedure for determining if a weight placed on top of a cd player makes a difference? Please be specific with times and whatnot.

9. Yeah & make sure to have the results certified by an impartial governing body too.

10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Would you like to buy a vowel?

11. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Why wouldn't you want to try to help folks out? I don't get it. Is there a reference that you can direct me to?

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Your attempts at trolling are not fooling anyone.

13. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

We all think YOU are the one trolling. 'A blind test is inappropriate. My way of testing is much better, but I'm not going to tell you what it is.' Kinda defines trolling.

14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I thought it might be a good idea to stack several copies of the Book of Mormon on top of my turntable’s platter while spinning. I’m happy to report the results were absolutely mixed!!

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

16. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

F1nut likes this.
  17. moops

moops Senior Member

Besides being a friend of Steve Guttenberg, who's Miguel and why should I be listening to him ?

18. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

THIS is the procedure? Good listen = ?. Jotting a few notes helps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.