Ebay, a mess

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mirrorblade.1, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Here's a new eBay trick. Delayed payments from buyers:

Congratulations on your sale! Your buyer, xxxxxx, hasn’t been charged for the item yet but the payment will be automatically processed on Jan 07, 2024 at 07:04:04 AM PST.

If you’re selling multiple items to your buyer and you'd like to provide them with a discount for combined shipping, be sure to send them an invoice before Jan 07, 2024 07:04:04 AM PST from the Selling Overview section of My eBay.

I just went ahead and sent him an invoice today. I'll see what happens next.

eddiel likes this.
  2. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

If you're getting that many non-payer bidders I was wondering whether you are doing 'private' auctions? I always suspect shill bids with private auctions, and don't know why private auctions are even a thing anymore.

I think I overpaid for a Krell amp years ago due to some hidden shill bids running the price up.

3. Ebay encourages purchasing online postage, which is usually cheaper vs the post office. It's to prompt sellers to ship items quicker and tracking is automatically uploaded.

asdf35 and Shawn like this.
  4. Does eBay still have the private auction function? I had forgotten all about that. I'd imagine with bidders user ID's now blocked out, there would be no need for a private auction.

5. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Well, it's useful for shill bidding since you can't see any identity of any kind when you click on the show bids link. You can't tell if the same bidder has placed more than one bid.

[​IMG]

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  6. So now the only reason to have a private auction would be for shill bidding.

Rigoberto likes this.
  7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

There's a feature when shipping on eBay which gives you a QR code which takes away the need to print a label. The QR code needs to be scanned at the post office counter or kiosk and you get a laser printed label. Couldn't be easier and you don't have to worry about a printed ink jet being unreadable when scanned.

asdf35 and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  8. The QR codes are nice, but if your post office has a line, waiting to get a label printed isn't ideal, at least for me. It's easy just to print a label at home and drop the parcel off at the PO and go.

asdf35 and SJP like this.
  9. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Do they even make inkjet printers anymore? I had a really nice one but then they quit making ink cartridges for it, so then all I could get were refills. The ink in the refills was water-based and totally useless, so I got a really nice HP laser printer. I'm still using the free toner cartridge that came with it, and it has been something like 5 years now, and it still has toner. Paid about $110 for it at Best Buy.

And now that I've said that watch it run out of toner in a day or two. That'll be costly.

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yes, ink jet printers are still a thing.

Agree 100%. However, I learned recently that you can print the label using the QR code at the automatic kiosk that many (most?) post office locations have as well as their walk-up counter. I've done this a couple times when the line is too long.

asdf35 and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  11. I still don’t see how seeing the bidders info (well, the first few ID digits) would indicate a shill bid situation. If I bid, say, $1,000 on an item I will automatically outbid every single bid that is under that price. If the bidding moves in $20 or even $50 increments I’d have a long list of me bidding. Doesn’t mean I’m a shill though.

GimiSomeTruth likes this.
  12. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I was going to toss my laser printer because Mac no longer supports the driver. These printers are so efficient, professional and affordable. It’s ridiculous.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I can never make sense of anything that guy writes. It's always all over the place and really generic.

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. If any of my local PO's had a Kiosk, l would use that as well, but unfortunately, none around here have that option.

15. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

If you send an invoice to a buyer and add some comments does the buyer see the comments? I had a copy of the invoice sent to myself and no comments are shown.

16. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

They were normal auctions, I only use the auction feature for group lots of beat up records/covers/art project type, things that are scratched/skip and no longer useful for musical purpose. I assume most either don’t read the description thoroughly while bidding, or get caught up in the moment. I only do maybe a dozen auctions a years, typically I stick to BIN.

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They should email you a QR code that can be scanned & printed at the post office.

asdf35 likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't get why a buyer clicks on a product but then is sitting on the fence of paying it for days.
    On every online store I'm active I pay my orders immediately.

Howard Bleach and Dave like this.
  19. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

eBay sending me dumb messages still. Got this one today:

We wanted to remind you that your seller performance has consistently fallen below our minimum standards in the United States. As a result, there’s now a risk that the selling limits will be lowered on your account, and in some cases, you may be permanently restricted from selling on eBay.

Hopefully they follow thru and ban me. I haven't listed anything since they cut off my pay-outs. As if I want to give away my stuff or something.

20. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Another ebay mess. Saved searches instead of coming up with the actual title are now spitting out the entire artist entry. Tried clearing cookies with no success. What a complete pain.