Ebay best offer

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sunking101, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

I often see auctions on ebay with a "make an offer" option (I think those are always for auctions with a "buy it now" price option).

2. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Exactly! This applies whether I'm a buyer or seller, unless I think that the other party is being a jerk about things. But I think that too many buyers and sellers don't look at the dollar amount, but rather the percentage amount. For example, someone lists a CD for $6 but rejects my $4 offer because he decides that selling it for only 67% of his asking price is unacceptable. But he has another listing for $45 and is very eager and willing to accept an offer of $43. Same $2 difference, but the percentage discounts are much different, and that influences people's perceptions (as both a buyer and seller) quite a bit.

But in reality, it's the same $2 difference, and I don't think it's worth it to walk away from such a small amount whether you're buying or selling. If you walk away, you're going to have to spend additional time in the future searching other listings (if you're buying) or not selling that item until perhaps much later, or not at all (if you're selling). Just not worth it in either situation.

3. Biittner Hair Flyin'

As an ebay seller, if I use the "make an offer" option for a listing, I always set automatic acceptance/rejection parameters, and I think that all sellers should do so. I do so because I want to immediately eliminate the idiots who make a low-ball offer (sometimes, I think, they do it just to be a jerk). If I'm listing something for $100, I don't want to deal with offers of, say, $20. It's much easier to have ebay automatically reject low-ball offers.

Daddy-O4 likes this.
  4. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I agree but I take a more passive approach at purchases. I understand if there's something we really really want and we think we can get a hold of it and we need to weigh the options are we willing to pay what they are asking or should we gamble on asking them for less?

For example I just purchased a CD. It was a Dire Straits making movies Vertigo Blue spiral West German CD. Seller was asking $18 & $5 shipping. I offered him $13.50. The cellar completely allowed the offer to expire without responding.

I just thought I'd buy it from somewhere else or maybe consider a little longer if I wanted to pay his price. Today he sent me an offer for $14. I accepted and paid immediately. The seller probably was busy and couldn't respond in time because he was doing too many other things.

I think the total key to any sales regardless of whether it's at a flea market in a used record store or on an online auction is communication.

5. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I agree and have experienced this automatic option before. I think it's great and whenever my offer is automatically accepted I'm surprised because I usually think that the seller has to consider my offer or take time to get to my offer. If my offer is accepted right away then as soon as possible I pay right away. I want to get the product as soon as possible I don't want it to take an additional week of him waiting on me to pay and then me waiting on him to ship.

Biittner Hair Flyin' likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.