Ebay German Problems with Vinyl Purchase

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by timnor, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timnor

timnor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hoping someone can give me some tips here. I purchased a UK Beatles BC-13 14 LP set from an Ebay Germany seller. He had it listed as Mint. I paid using Paypal. I have loads of records and have never really experienced anything like this set. The records really do look great quality probably played a handful of times. However a handful of the LPs have distortion and almost all sound awful. My wife described it as though there is a blanket over the speakers for most of the albums. I checked my needle and even played them on a second turntable but the problem persists.

Informed the seller and he immediately refused to accept a return or offer even an apology. Waited until today to open a problem with the Ebay resolution centre thinking they would at least allow me to return the item. To my surprise they wrote back asking me to get a written confirmation of the problem from a recognised expert or a quote for repair ! This is almost impossible.

I could of course sell the set on but don't want to saddle someone else with this problem. I thought buyer protection protected me from matters like this and I always had the right to return ?

Your tips are most welcome.

2. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Did you buy from a business seller or from a private seller?

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Probably a silly question, but have you verified that the LPs are legitimate and not bootlegs?

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Call eBay. Request to speak to a manager. The written communication is not the final word on the topic.

timnor likes this.
  5. timnor

Thanks. A private seller who also stated no returns.

6. timnor

They seem to have the right matrix numbers.

7. timnor

The joke is that I told ebay I cannot find anyone official who can listen to the 14 LPs and confirm the problem. They wrote back that they fully understand that but I need to do it anyway !

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Is there a reason you're refusing to CALL them, as I suggested?

Dave likes this.
  9. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Do you have a 2nd hand record store close? Maybe you should go there and let them wash and check a few of the records.

GentleSenator and Dave like this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This is the second time I've heard the same story only the other person who experienced this made a claim through paypal. He lost the claim because he couldn't provide third party verification.

Do what @Strat-Mangler suggested. Call them. It may not make a difference, but on the other hand it might! Right now you have nothing to lose by calling them. Keep calm, explain the records are not as described and there are no experts available. I would also ask them, that hypothetically, if you could find an expert, what type of evidence would they want from that expert; a letter, an email? What exactly would they accept as third party verification. The point here it to keep making a fuss, in a nice way, and hope they eventually relent. Personally, I believe eBay knows this is an utterly stupid and idiotic request. But they figure enough people will take it on the chin and just complain elsewhere.

In the other case I heard about, the seller was well versed on what to say and the buyer lost out. The seller even gloated to the buyer afterwards. This seller might also be well versed on what to say.

If you get no luck with eBay then make a Paypal claim. If you need to go this route then keep the claim simple. Don't talk about subjective sound quality. Just say the records were not as described. You would like to return for a refund. That's it. Now there is a chance you'll have to to go through the whole rigamarole again with Paypal but there is also a chance you won't. Keep it simple.

When it comes to claims on ebay and paypal, extra information that might sound relevant to you tends to confuse them. It's like being on the witness stand! Only provide more information if you have to and even then, call. Always always call. If it looks like a claim is going the wrong way; call them. Speaking to a human is more likely to get you a response.

Dave, timnor and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. timnor

Thanks so much for that detailed reply. Really appreciated.

Interesting development today I sent eBay the website link of a high end audio store 30km away and asked if the owners listen to one lp and confirm the bad sound quality in writing would the accept that. They came back and said for sure they would but also offered 50 euros of what I paid back. They did not say if this was from the seller or from ebay. For sure it saves me a ton of hassle but I'm still 135 euros out of pocket. I'm tempted but my pride says go to the audio shop and get the letter.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That offer is probably from ebay itself and will be at no cost to the seller. If there is a figure you'd be happy with, it might be worth a counter offer.

Otherwise, I'd go for the letter :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.