eBay Ghost in the Machine*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Francophile50, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear. Thread Starter

If you are looking at this thread looking for a review of the Police's album I'm sorry this is about something else.

I recently was looking at a CD on eBay and it was listed for $9.99. it didn't sell and the owner dropped it down to $7.99. I put it in my watchlist thinking I may buy it later. I went back to buy it and it jumped back up to 9.99 again. I thought huh. The seller decided he wanted more money after all. I didn't buy it but left it in my watchlist.

I was recently notified the price of that title dropped $1 to $6.99. now I was confused because wasn't it $9.99 a second ago? Which made me think is there a glitch in eBay's pricing or how they display their pricing?

Have any of you knows anything like this before?

2. ACAB

ACAB Forum Resident

What’s this got to do with music?

3. Francophile50

Sorry, I keep forgetting to post in marketplace.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Browser caching, maybe?

5. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

I was watching a Pretty Things album for several months and watched the price change multiple times, sometimes 3-4 times a day. Low of $45 to high of $69.

6. Francophile50

Possibly, but I've changed my browser and it's come up several times so I don't know if it's that. There may be some kind of issue with an eBay that's all I'm thinking.

7. Francophile50

Again I'm wondering whether it is the seller thinking that they can make more money or if it is the system wigging out. So it's not me. okay thanks for letting me know that this problem isn't isolated it is in more than one case.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Probably an algorithm at work. If you want to buy the cd why not just contact the seller with an offer?

9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

A price reduction on eBay will generate a notification to the watcher. That is probably what happened.

As for the price going back up, perhaps the seller thought that with a watcher he could get his original asking price and jacked it back up, only to reduce it further later.

Who knows. I doubt there is any sort of algorithm in play unless this is a high volume seller.

10. Francophile50

It was Decluttr or someone like that. I'm not certain if it was eBay or them that's why I was asking to find out if this is common with different sellers .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.