"Ebay International Shipping" replacing Global Shipping Program

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hvbias, Mar 25, 2023.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

"Ebay International Shipping" (EIS) is their new international shipping system that is replacing Global Shipping Program, GSP will be phased out.

I have a question for international buyers that have used EIS- is it cheaper, the same, or more expensive than GSP?

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It hasn't even turned the key in the engine yet...

3. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

If it makes records cheaper shipped from America, then it gets the :thumbsup: from me.

eddiel likes this.
  4. hvbias

The roll out started to sellers in November of last year.

5. Combination

Then it's rather strange for ebay to send me an e-mail 3 days ago with a headline that reads:

Coming Soon:
    eBay International Shipping

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  6. hvbias

It's being rolled out in stages. I was enrolled on in the middle of January. I've already sent three things to their new Glendale Heights location instead of Erlanger, KY.

7. Combination

Thanks for clarifying.

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You mean my constant complaining about GPS and refusal to accept it with items actually made a difference??

9. hvbias

As an update, my experience with the new system is it's basically GSP with a new address. It might be slightly faster than GSP but my sample size is probably too small to say for certain. As a buyer I am getting things within about 10-14 days from Europe.

I am still curious what it's like for other buyers. I put up with it because it's near impossible to get certain classical albums in the US. I bought a CD from one of my favorite pianists that I have never seen for sale, prior to getting it I was listening to a rip of it that only one other person on a large board had.

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I understand that sometimes overseas sellers are inescapable. I have the same issue with Euro classical or at least the few remaining items I'm looking for. However I found UK sellers will often switch to Royal Mail if asked and you make clear no sale otherwise.

I had simply awful experience with GSP. Every single one without exception was either weeks to months late, damaged or lost and sometimes late and damaged. In addition it was always more expensive than standard alternatives. I believe Pitney Boyes was the culprit. When I complained about it to them they had the gall to blame the shipper when of course the whole point of GPS was to relieve the shipper of responsibility. Checking their delivery they often had 8 to 10 handoffs AFTER the package arrived at NY.

MC Rag likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I got switched months ago on eBay. It was automatic, and I didn't have a choice. So far, it seems about as good as the previous program. I don't know how it looks to buyers re: cost.

But I love this program as a seller because it means all I have to do is get the package to a US location, and after that, I'll never see a claim for damaged/lost in shipping--which was a huge problem both real and from scammers.

Buyers complain (here) that shipping costs are too high. That may be. I assume that if the totals are too high, I'll lose some potential sales. It's worth it to me not to have to deal with the other headaches anymore.

12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

High billed invoices to no more claim stuff. Interesting to see if one loses sales to block scammers.

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Well I sold a power supply through Ebay global.It has not arrived,but now an item not as described claim has been opened.There goes the neighborhood as they say!

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, you won't get dinged since it didn't arrive. If they'd filed the correct case (item not delivered) you wouldn't even see the case. Contact eBay and explain the situation.

steveharris likes this.
  15. steveharris

It updated the right info.Ebay said I’m covered because it was sent through their global shipping.I am certain I was being scammed.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup.

I had a guy buy a videotape (VHS) a few months ago. It arrived (eBay global shipping) and he sent me a picture of a crushed video tape (which could not be identified as the one I shipped) and said "it arrived smashed, let's work this out..." I sent back a message saying it was purchased through eBay shipping, and they'd handle it. He tried twice more to get me to handle it. The tape in the picture was entirely destroyed, and if that had been real, there would have been no "handling"--he'd want a full refund. He was looking for a partial refund. I ignored him after the second communication and he evaporated.

Dave and steveharris like this.
  17. steveharris

I checked my Ebay page and the red alert dispute has disappeared.Maybe the target all along was Ebay.The buyer gets reimbursed by Ebay,and they keep and sell what I sold them.
    UPS contract negotiations are at a standstill,so I am told.Teamsters union representing Over 340,000 workers have given UPS one week to come back to the table and meet their demands to have a contract voted upon and in place by August 1st.,not in the fall,not six months from now.The company wants a cost neutral agreement to appease shareholders.Depending on what games UPS play in the coming weeks August might be a turbulent month for bussiness and getting anything shipped on time from Fed Ex,DHL,or USPS.If there is a huge overflow of volume.
    The only thing I am waiting for is a Grateful Dead 8LP box.
    Ironically the last thing I sold that didn’t get to it’s destination was an Abbey Road mastered Cream Disraeli Gears record.I sent it through Ebay to Russia right before the Ukraine invasion.Ebay covered me but the record was lost.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  18. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

I sell on eBay very rarely. Either I opted into eBay International Shipping and forgot about it, or I was opted in automatically. Either way, I'm not a fan. I sold some headphones last week and shipped to an Illinois address. Now the buyer (in another country) is asking for updates and additional tracking numbers. USPS reports it as 'delivered' but when I check tracking through eBay, there are at least two other tracking numbers: one with Asendia, with which I have no experience, and the other with Canada Post. Canada Post says they haven't even received the package yet.

Now I see it's possible to opt out of eBay International Shipping entirely. I wish I had known sooner. :(

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Give eBay a call about that transaction. The whole point of their program is to absolve the seller from having to deal with, and suffer from, these sorts of issues. It's why sellers keep telling me they like it...they ship to the address in the US and the rest is up to eBay.

My experience with this program is that often, it doesn't update on the eBay page. I've received items and it still showed as not delivered on eBay for days after I actually received it.

chazz101s likes this.