eBay item sold as-is = still PayPal covered or not?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Strat-Mangler, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

A sub I want is sold as-is with a pic shown with its light being on. It is said that it is working in the auction but because of the as-is descriptor, it is implied there are no returns.

Does that mean that I am not covered by PayPal in the event it is defective on arrival? What about 3 weeks after? I currently have some gear I am aware has issue that show themselves once every few weeks and want to be sure that even though I wouldn't sell that gear to unsuspecting buyers, that I would be covered in case something similar would happen in this case.

Does anybody know for sure or has had experience in attempting to return as-is offered merchandise for a full refund?

2. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Generally speaking, if a seller accepts Paypal, the buyer has 180 days from purchasing an item to begin a resolution process if the item is defective, and their terms supersede a seller's terms. Even if the seller states "no returns", the resolution process is governed by PP's policies, not the seller's.

Strat-Mangler and Dave like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've never had a problem buying an item as is on ebay and it not working.

Not sure if its a cya thing.

Now if its listed as a parts only unit that might be different and I stay away from those.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You are covered, even by eBay, if the item is "Significantly Not As Described". If it was described as working and is not, you can file your claim through them. That doesn't buy you a warranty.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.