Ebay scammer help

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sunking101, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought 2 CDs off a seller a few weeks ago. They never showed and his feedback for the past fortnight is shocking. No shows, no refunds, Paypal disputes etc. Anyway I opened an Ebay dispute and the seller automatically offered to refund me. Thing is, in Paypal these two refunds were showing as 'pending' and that they wouldn't be cleared for 10 days.

I checked my Paypal account today for another reason and noticed that these two pending refunds had been declined. That's all it says if I click on the original transactions, that the refund has been declined.

I have tried to escalate this with Ebay but as I already have a case open and it states 'refund received' I can't take it further. Also when I try and open up resolution centre in Paypal it just says that the transactions have been cancelled.

Any ideas what I do now?

2. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Best thing is to call eBay and Paypal on the phone.

tmtomh and eddiel like this.
  4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone even find an Ebay contact number? I've been trawling through automated BS menus.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i believe they bury it so that you have to navigate via the actual listing you're dealing with. also, you don't call them--they call you.

6. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

On the USA site, the Help link is at the bottom with the contact info.

7. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

This thread reminded me that I ordered The Beatles white album 3 disc set off of eBay about I week ago. Right after I paid he wrote back and said his car was broken down and it would be a few days before he could mail it out. I said no problem. I just look at his 100% feedback and I saw two negative feedbacks. What's up with that? And his most recent feedback was over a year ago. I don't know if I got scammed or not but something smells a little fishy. We'll see.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ask selller why refund was declined? And tell them you must escalate this with eBay and PayPal due to this new disturbing development unless the refund happens in the next 24 hours.

Then go escalate it right then, do not wait 24 hours.

Muzyck, tmtomh and Dave like this.
  9. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

That seems odd. I had something similar happen, where I think a legitimate ebay ID either was sold to someone else or maybe hijacked, since a torrent of back feedback came in all at the same time. I chose the eBay option for "didn't receive item" and in a few days I had my money back. Now in that case the seller didn't respond, so maybe that part of it short-circuited the process somehow. I agree that this probably warrants a phone call, if that's possible.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Ebay only takes the last 12 months into account when calculating the Feedback score

11. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Are you saying that he has 100% positive feedback because he hasn't had any feedback in over a year?

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd call Paypal and ask them why they were declined. Chase eBay as well, but Paypal might give you a faster resolution.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. Christian Hill

Yes,since they only measure the last 12 months he doesn't have any negatives in that time period = 100% positive

QuestionMark? likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's not exactly accurate. The feedback score won't be 100% but you won't be able to see the specific entries falling out of the 12-month period.

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yeah I've had nothing but excellent service with paypal on the phone.

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Contact the seller and ask for a follow up. The "declined" probably has more to do with an issue with Paypal than it does with anything that the seller did. My experience is that most long time sellers would rather settle a dispute quickly and avoid issues with their account over ripping someone off for a few bucks in a single transaction.

Utopia is here, Dave and quicksrt like this.
  17. Christian Hill

It is exactly true per Ebay

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I too have gotten Kind and considerate service.

There was an era a decade ago when you got high school students working part time who were near clueless. The answer was more often than not, sorry we can't do anything about that. The only time they would consider helping you is if a credit card was used to fund the purchase. Otherwise you often were sol.

19. Strat-Mangler

I stand corrected. Double-checked as I had seen some strange ratings lately but you're right.

20. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Sadly, I'm seeing more and more scams on eBay. Even big sellers start acting like scammers. For example, I had two orders placed and fully paid on Feb 15. On Feb 21, I get a message saying both items were "water damaged". OK, annoying, but **** happens. Just send replacements, right? Wrong. They can't send replacements because some bot which manages their store changed the prices since my first order. Sound like B.S., but OK, just give me a refund ASAP, right? Wrong. It's Mar 3 and I still have to ask them for my refund. I was told "it got stuck in the system".

eBay should build a better buyer protection and sellers should pay fines in certain scenarios. In this case, I can't open a case on eBay because the scummy seller put 3 months as the delivery period...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Utopia is here likes this.
  21. Utopia is here

Utopia is here New Member

I had my EBay account hacked by someone in NYC listed all kinds of stuff and it took EBay forever to fix it and I never even been there. So I told them to remove every item from NYC listed on my account for sale , how hard is that to figure out? I don't know how the hacker thought they would ever get the money or if it was a screw up by EBay? It did finally got resolved and I don't think it cost me any money and fortunely none of the stuff sold. Hackers are weird people I don't understand some of the stuff they do or if it's just to wreak havoc for something to do it makes you wonder.

22. Strat-Mangler

Did you CALL eBay? Seems most people are allergic to calling them. In most cases, they'll work with you.

23. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

The seller eventually sorted it out, after many e-mails from me.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.