Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

eBay selling strategy - start 'em high or low?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Holy Zoo, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

IMO, this a guaranteed way to get your $$'s worth.

1) Take LOTS of pictures. Already mentioned above.

2) I say start it at $1.00 and let it ride. I've sold lots of things, many above $500 and just bit my tongue and did it without a Reserve. Never been burned once. Unless it's really obscure, buyers can and will determine it's true value.

3) Don't set a "Buy It Now" price. When I see that I seem to mentally think that price is usually a bogus, too high value for the item. Without it, you have a better chance of getting more $$. Buy It Now is for commodity items, not collectibles, me thinks.

4) End your auctions on Friday night. That's when many get paid and hopefully have a few drinks in 'em ;)

2. mal content

mal content Guest

Sigh. I totalled my Buy It Now sales for the last ten days. $2800+ dollars. And my BINs are full market value or a few percentage points above. I think anyone who dismisses Buy It Now hasn't given it a real shot or is themselves setting a "golddigger" BIN price.

3. Clay

Clay New Member

Low and High both great, it just depends on current selling strategy

I believe Buy it Now and auction only both have positives.
    I used to use BIN 100% of the time and sold a lot of stuff every day. sometimes 3 BIN in a day. Currently I am listing most items with no reserve and no bin and a low price.

The BIN period was of items that you could see 1- 20 a day sell and I offered exceptional service and a medium to high price.
    Now each item I am selling is unique with fewer like items selling per day.
    In many cases I am not sure of the value so a $9.95 no reserve auction with fixed shipping for 7 to 10 days ending on Sunday at 7PST is my normal listing mode these days.

Some of my BIN buyers were ONLY BIN buyers so if I had a listing at $1 they would not have looked at it.

Some of the stuff I have sold recently sold for 400% to 600% of what I thought it would go for, so a BIN would not have been the ideal method for those listings.

I also use Turbo Lister to copy listings formatting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.