Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

EBay vinyl prices in 2021

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rain_king, Jun 1, 2021.

1. rain_king

rain_king Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yes, Discogs isn't as well known outside of semi-serious record collectors, I guess. And one good thing about that is that sometimes good bargains are available for a while, whereas I feel like any reasonably priced Buy It Now listing on eBay gets bought within a day or so.

I think you're right about people living on eBay, while Discogs is less conducive to that in my experience.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  2. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

yes, HMV are up to £49.99 an album if you look hard enough

Cool Chemist likes this.
  3. Recordfan

Recordfan Misfit Among Misfits

I agree..my competition for one of the 2021 albums was an anonymous bidder...when he/she won, I was soon offered a "second chance" because the bidder didn't come through. Very suspicious..I declined the offer.

4. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

Ebay have recently changed the way sellers get paid, reading forums and blogs lots are unhappy with the change and talk of shifting over to Facebook Marketplace. I've sold 50 albums in the last six months, most of them have been through facebook.

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I would buy more records on Discogs if pictures of the record were standard as they are on eBay. I’m aware that you can send a direct message to a Discogs seller asking for pictures, but for most serious eBay sellers, pictures are standard. I don’t want to shell out big bucks for a record based on some guy’s two-sentence Discogs description.

slimjw, rain_king and Recordfan like this.
  6. Recordfan

Recordfan Misfit Among Misfits

Also I am seeing Ebayers offering vinyl in "used" condition..I just pass on these..not worth the time to email for more info.

rain_king and JasonA like this.
  7. rain_king

Yeah, I still see things go for OK or even great prices almost every day on eBay--it's just that most of the time they aren't ones I'm particularly interested in.

Recordfan likes this.
  8. rain_king

Yes, that's one of the most annoying things; that or "see photos for record condition"--as if you can get anything but a rough idea from a picture!

I think there are a lot of people out there who just don't get how important condition is to collectors. And this is probably exacerbated by the vinyl bandwagoneers who just want to have the object, and are willing to spend big bucks on a beat up copy of "Rumours" or whatever.

Recordfan likes this.
  9. rain_king

I know, that's the trade off. My experience is that Discogs grading is usually more accurate, but you don't get to see pics.

Recordfan likes this.
  10. rain_king

Makes sense. I think there's a lot of confusion out there too--I saw a Kind of Blue '70s reissue auction for something like $160 a couple months ago. That's a record that (even now) can be found for $20 or so for a clean copy. My guess is that the buyer had seen early pressings go for hundreds and so they thought they were getting an OK price for the same thing.