Ebay vinyl probs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Speedycat69, Jun 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut Thread Starter

hi has anyone had a similar prob ? Sold a limited vinyl on ebay , which i sent next day . Anyway gets a message saying theres a massive fold on bottom right cover, and a tear inside and also a skip on one track. Now i took pics of the cover which had no folds, no tear inside cover and played it and had no skips played great. Will ebay take his side on this , ? Ive 100pc feedback , getting fed of ebay . Cheers

2. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

I had a similar experience on an expensive item. Buyer reported to eBay that the cover was bent. Buyer did not contact me first. The cover was not bent when shipped. I figured it could have happened during shipping so I refunded the purchase price. The buyer never returned the expensive album and went dark and never responded to my repeated requests for the return. Expensive lesson learned.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Seems like a lesson learned here. The customer requests a tracking number. One in returned should also be expected.

Aftermath likes this.
  4. Speedycat69

Some right conmen on there though , i think he ended up in a bidding war and prob thought **** ive payed bit too much . Ive refunded half which hes accepted, but what else can you do .

5. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Tell him you want to see photographs of the damage because you took photos before packing the album and there was no damage whatsoever. If the damage is real, you'll see it. If he refuses or you never hear from him, then case solved. If he does report it to eBay/PayPal then you have your photos as proof, and demand that he show photos with the damage. If he is trying to scam you, then this should shut him up.

6. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Well, obviously my comment came too late, since you've already refunded him the money. You ask what else could you do? See my comment above. Did you ever see photos of the damage?

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It's too late, but I wouldn't have given him a penny until I had the item back in my possession.

8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I believe this is not an issue if you handle the whole return process through eBay.

9. Speedycat69

He sent a pic with the corner folded , completly different to the pic i done and condition of album sold . Happens a lot on ebay though i heard . Does put you off though . Cheers marthy for that reply anyway

10. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Generally ebay sides with the buyer. The most extreme case I had was a set of crystal stemware I had to ship overseas. The buyer claimed they were broken upon receipt. I asked a for a photo but was told they were thrown away. Ebay suspended my account until I refunded. Not a pleasant business to be in sometimes.

11. Speedycat69

Once sold a leather jkt and buyer said someone used his credit card to buy it . Ebay backed him and never even got jkt back lol . Love ebay for buying vinyl just now though since shops are shut .

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

For lps, use Discogs. It’s for music people.

greelywinger likes this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You never return the money until you RECEIVE the return. eBay won't make you return the money until you get the return.

(The buyer can cheat you by sending something other than what you sold him, but at least make the buyer go through the motions).

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. And for people who are completely clueless about record grading.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  15. adadad

adadad Forum Resident

At the very least block the bidder.
    Ebay is usually on the buyers side unless they clearly violates an ebay policy. I just got left my first negative in almost 20 years. I never heard from the buyer. She just left negative feedback. That doesn't seem fair to me but ebay said she did not violate any ebay policy so the feedback stays. All they said I can do was block the bidder.
    I decided not to list for a while.
    Something feels off with the buyers anyway right now so maybe I will just list cheap stuff for now.

16. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Selling things on Ebay these days can be an exercise in madness, too many gaming the system and seller rights steadily eroded over time.

Archguy likes this.
  17. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

IMO if You want to sell stuff on eBay hoping to get some idiot with deep pockets paying ridiculous price - THAT'S THE RISK YOU HAVE TO TAKE.
    The way I see it: global market comes with risk of dealing with scammers and all kinds of con men.

18. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

This doesn’t matter. Ebay always sides with the buyer. He could send you back a bag of dog biscuits as long as it’s with the ebay provided Tracking number, they will consider it case closed.

rnranimal likes this.
  19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah I’ve sadly given up on selling on eBay. Too much hassle and risk.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I sold a nice original Elton John poster once. The guy said it was fake. It wasn't, as I sold 5 more earlier. I stupidly sent him a refund and he kept the poster. I'd be in jail for 3 years easy for his punishment. He tried to stop the financial beating by sending it back. You have to go after eBay crooks.

21. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Sometimes the seller comes out on top! I had one transaction where eBay ruled in my favor. I listed a CD that had a promo message embossed on the front insert. It was a fairly rare title; the buyer paid $80 for it. When he received it he emailed me wanting to return it with a full refund saying that because it was a promo, it was illegal for me to sell it. The promo message was stated in the description and the photo clearly showed the promo message. I refused his request; he filed a claim with eBay. Ebay told me that because the promo message was clearly defined in the listing, they would rule in my favor. So the buyer then filed a claim with PayPal. They looked over the claim and again ruled in my favor. The buyer then tried to get a chargeback thru his credit card company and again ruled in my favor. Then he gave me a negative review. I called eBay saying that because all entities ruled in my favor, that the negative review was unfair and should be removed; eBay agreed and removed it. So all is not lost for the seller!

Archguy, Gumboo, boboquisp and 4 others like this.
  22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I had one guy say to eBay "He didn't write do not leave on porch" on the package and did a reversal since it was stolen. I did but who cares, it was delivered like the receipt said. eBay ruled in his favor. I was furious. He could order a 10,000 dollar diamond ring and say the same thing. There was an in person encounter 5 months later. He paid. There's a bus stop at Pass and Riverside in Burbank........I can't talk more.

23. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

And Ebay isn't?

Lost In The Flood and SteveM like this.
  24. Oh yes, I agree. Discogs doesn't have a monopoly on clueless traders.

25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I like the "used" grading. Usually wasted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.