eBay wanting bank account information

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ScramMan2, Jan 1, 2023.

1. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm a seller on eBay. I just got two emails from them yesterday about wanting bank information. They appear to be from eBay. Just curious as there is so much spamming going on. Not sure if they have withheld any payouts to me yet. They always threaten that.

2. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Check your messages on your ebay account, if the requests don’t show up there then definitely spam.

Dave likes this.
  3. ScramMan2

They are on eBay. I do work for an eBay seller. I'll be back there tomorrow and can check his seller page there also.

My wife has an eBay account for buying only and she didn't get the messages I did.

4. ScramMan2

Looks like I'm the guinea pig. I have a PT job doing eBay listings for a local retailer. He didn't have any of the messages I do.

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I suppose it wouldn't surprise me about eBay wanting your bank info, but I would not reply to any of those messages until I nailed down with complete, 100% confidence they originated with eBay and not some online thief.

Over the past six months or year I have fake phishing messages that pretend to be from eBay, Amazon, my bank and a host of others show up in my inbox every morning. Reproducing like flies. Thievery has always been popular, but now more than ever.

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

It goes back to the dissolution of their partnership with PayPal. I ran across this when selling an extra piece of equipment last winter, and set up an online account with a $25 balance solely for the purpose of handling that and future transactions

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So you work on someone else's listings, as well as sell your own stuff, your own listings?
    Your employer should have long ago gotten that email(s) about needing a bank account attached. I think this all went down over a year ago, or longer. So that might be why you didn't see it.

eddiel likes this.
  8. ScramMan2

Yes I have my own eBay account. And I also list stuff on another account. I've been working on the 2nd account for over a year.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I had to add bank info to get paid on something I sold, decided to stop selling and just buy but can’t just delete account info without calling and then wipes out my whole eBay stuff. Not a fan, PayPal so much easier

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah the only way you can sell on eBay is if you set up your bank account up to receive payments. They no longer use PP for that.

All fees are automatically deducted before you get paid as well so no invoice to pay at end of month.

Surprised you didn't get an email earlier about this. I think they contacted me well over a year ago about it.

11. ScramMan2

Process completed. No issues.