Echo In The Canyon - Have You Seen It?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident Thread Starter

My wife and I saw this last night with some friends and loved it!!

2. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

3. Tin Whisker

I thought about getting the soundtrack but they're studio recordings and not the live ones shown in the film. They lack the same energy.

4. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Seeing Friday afternoon

5. Tin Whisker

DavidD and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Saw it. A Jakob Dylan vanity project. Way too much David Crosby.

7. Great to see, really fascinating subject for me.

Of course most of us would have made additions and cuts - but overall, I’d give it a B+ for the final product and an A++++ for subject matter and seeing many of my favs in interviews.

Seeing Tom Petty and Ringo interviews was most effective - because of time and geography gave them more distance from the midst of the scene and great perspective.

The main flaw was weaving in WAY too much “contemporary “ artists performing some of the music. ( Performances paled to the originals, consolation may be new generations may notice the music, whereupon they might not have, otherwise. )

My choice would have been more archival film of the artists performances or have someone of the highest caliber like The Heartbreakers or Marty Stuart and the Superlatives play with some of the artists that still perform , like CSN, McGuinn, - with Stevie Nicks for female vocals.

Need more on this subject. It BEGS for a long series by Ken Burns!!!

8. This is why I decided against seeing it. I'd be up for a doc on the original scene with any contemporary performances saved until the end/credits, but this film apparently goes in a different direction.

9. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Saw it loved it then liked it, brought tears to my eyes. Really interesting when Dylan, Beck, Cat and Regina are sitting around the coffee table and decide the era ends after Expecting to Fly. That’s too soon. But it fits the conclusion as Neil as the muse. Sorry to see no Lady of the Canyon.

EVOLVIST, vonwegen, Adam9 and 2 others like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yes. Marginal

Hall Cat likes this.
  11. SuddenSam

SuddenSam Forum Resident

Saw it, enjoyed it...with some caveats.

Although I’m a huge Beach Boys fan, I think they were shoe-horned into this. Let’s face it, as influential as they were, they were most assuredly *not* part of the Laurel Canyon scene.

Southern California? Yes.
    Laurel Canyon? No

What does “In My Room” have to do with folk rock?

FJFP, TheMovieRad, SG47 and 7 others like this.
  12. Reed Black

Reed Black Forum Resident

Thanks for these posts. I was thinking of seeing this film today, but just about all the posts echo all my misgivings about it. I'd love to see something more in-depth. focusing on the late fifties to late sixties scene. I suspect this may show up on PBS in the future.
    And for anyone who hasn't read it or doesn't know about it, I would highly recommend "Canyon Of Dreams - The Magic And The Music Of Laurel Canyon" by Harvey Kubernik. Lots of great photos and a great read.

Hall Cat and vonwegen like this.
  13. Tin Whisker

So, to date, there are no other documentaries out there focusing on the music scene from Laurel Canyon in the 60's?

14. Definitely, unforgivable- leaving out Joni Mitchell!

• [​IMG]

15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Tom Petty doesn’t belong in the film...Joni must have been too I’ll to not be in it....Jakob’s renditions of songs were really good...couldn’t stand the young contemporary gals that were in it, why was Beck in it?...loved that the Byrds get so much recognition...Clapton was also a stretch

There

blueslover99 likes this.
  16. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

But I did love it when McGuinn said that Crosby was becoming insufferable in the Byrds and cracked up laughing when Crosby looks into the camera and says something like "Do you know why I was dropped from the Byrds? Because I was an a$$hole!"

SG47, JDeanB, canadian73 and 3 others like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe somebody needs to do a doc about all the unknown artists that influenced bigger artists...only don't mention those losers, and just center on interviews with the bigger artists. :shrug:

Not looking forward to seeing this next week.

18. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

According to their interviews, Jakob Dylan and Andrew Slater talked about the limits they put on the film.
    It would focus on music made between 65-67 and would feature Groups/Bands that had multiple singers and songwriters. So these FOUR artists became the main players - Byrds, Beach Boys, Mamas/Papas and the
    Buffalo Springfield.

So the solo singer/songwriters fall outside these parameters as well as Crosby, Stills, Nash who came after the time period set forth. I think Jakob and Andrew made an excellent decision since the film is tightly focused and
    well-edited.

For those who haven't seen the film, I would recommend it and then decide its worthiness.

19. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Both my brother and I loved it! At 61, I dug it just because of my love of great music. At 68, he enjoyed it because he was there!
    And I thought Jakob did a great job, though most of the female vocalists (aside from Norah Jones) left me cold.....would have preferred the likes of Aimee Mann and Louise Goffin!

DavidD and mlew like this.
  20. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

So... Don’t see it then? :shrug:

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

No, they haven't made that movie yet. I'm just taking my cue from the previous comments.

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Saw it and loved it. Great to hear Expecting To Fly and Questions. Great interviews with Michelle Phillips, David Crosby and others. Jakob Dylan did a good job just letting the interviewees speak. It was neat to see Cat Power.

~dave~~wave~ and mlew like this.
  23. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I was surprised to see Jakob do an overall great job

24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I thought it was well done but it also represented my favorite band - the Byrds.

Man at C&A and lightbulb like this.

• Saw this online- 2 DVDs, but “not currently available “.

Wonder if anyone has this - or seen it? Please tell us if you have!

[​IMG]

NOTE- this note below from the DVD above mentions a couple of things I felt were left out. (....but remember , I did rate Echos a B+). LOL.

The other key interviewee is Michelle Philips who tells the story behind The Mamas & the Papas, her relationship with Gene Clark and more. Both Philips and all of the interviewees discussed their love and admiration for Mama Cass Elliot who was influential in both the Laurel Canyon music scene and in getting Crosby, Stills and Nash together. The other non-appearing musician who got a lot of positive accolades was Joni Mitchell; Crosby, Stills and Nash all seemed to be in awe of her.

lightbulb, ~dave~~wave~ and Hall Cat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.