Echo In The Canyon - Have You Seen It?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

I found Jakob to be charming and he didn’t get in the way of the people he was interviewing. Nor did he ham it up like others might.

I don’t really know much about that era of music so the soundtrack covered that well for me too. Jakob’s voice on I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times made me tear up lol. In a good way!

Gardo likes this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Enjoyed it.

3. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Just watched on Netflix, I enjoyed it. Seemed to focus on folk rock, maybe why some of the other bands are excluded. Maybe too much Jacob, but I liked most of the performances.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  4. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Watched it last night on Netflix. Was flipping through selections looking for something to watch for 10 minutes or so before bedtime, and chose it.

Big mistake! I was so transfixed, mesmerized, and entertained that I watched the whole thing!

I have no skin in the game - and no dislike for anyone or group either included or left out of the film (in fact, just the opposite). So I just sat there and enjoyed every last bit of it - taking it all at face value.

I loved seeing Neil jamming solo in the studio window while the credits rolled. It tied the whole thing together beautifully!

Oh, and I listened to the studio covers album on Spotify today and enjoyed it a lot. Great performances all 'round. Solid, faithful takes on the originals (which I also love immensely.) Would be nice if they released a concert Blu-ray version of the live performances of the covers.

Jeff

~dave~~wave~ and TaumpyTears like this.
  5. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Watched it last night.

Big fan of the music it profiles, but it was a complete misfire. Jakob Dylan is an annoying presence throughout : he's like an omnipresent, creepy mannequin, and offers zero insight or thoughts. He just sits/stands there, and nods at whatever the guests are saying.

Which is OK, but the camera is constantly on him as he nods sagely during interviews. And his versions of the songs are brutal. As well as unnecessary. Jakob can't sing ( yup, he's Bob's kid!) but has none of his old man's magnetism.

Still a fun movie, but it would have been much more enjoyable if someone who lived the times did the hosting. Hell, let David Crosby do it. That's would've been a hoot.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Dylancat and CrombyMouse like this.
  6. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

It was ok. Honestly I wanted more Tom Petty than anything and there just wasn't enough.

Also, How do you make a doc about LA, Laurel Canyon specifically 65-67 and not include the doors? John and Robby shared a house together on Laurel Canyon if I remember correctly and Jim was there a lot. Then Jim lived down near the store. Not to mention The Doors and Strange Days were released in 67 and Light My Fire was an enormous hit. The Doors blended genres, had multiple writers and had huge hits but they couldn't find a few minutes to talk to John and Robby?

CrombyMouse and BrutandCharisma like this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I thought he looked bored while listening to his interviewees. No matter what tale they spin he has the same look on his face. He doesn't engage with them in any way. And he's the same way with his peers.

JDeanB and sbsugar like this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

You want lotsa Petty? Check out ' Runnin' Down A Dream ' if you haven't already done so. Excellent Tom Petty documentary which makes this one look insipid.

ARK likes this.
  9. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but to say Jakob can’t sing is preposterous like saying Springsteen can’t sing.

Gardo and ARK like this.
  10. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Yea I found it a mixed bag--i hated the scenes where the contemporary artists were "casually" sitting the living room, discussing the music--awkward and unenlightening. Some of the covers were good, but strange--Never My Love? Fantastic song, but a bit of a red herring. Agree that Jakob was a weak center--too laconic and uninvolved seeming.

BBC did a pretty solid doc years ago on the LA scene called Hotel California: LA from The Byrds to The Eagles. It's in 7 parts on YT (pretty lo-def), but for some reason part 1 is blocked--other 6 parts seem to be there though. At least they are in Canada....

From the Byrds to the Eagles Part 1 through 7 - YouTube

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Cmon - what was Petty doing in the doc to begin with

12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Jakob’s singing has a hint of early Springsteen to me, particularly the WILD, INNOCENT-era.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  13. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Translation : Jakob isn't a good singer.

Unless Jakob Dylan or Springsteen singing "California Dreamin'" is your idea of a good time.

Just my opinion.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Best scene in the movie is when someone - David Crosby? - refers to "Dylan" and Jakob says something like "you need to be more specific".

I'm paraphrasing badly, I'm sure, but I did enjoy that little moment! :D

maui jim, zphage, Gardo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Jakob seemed more influenced by Bruce than by his dad.

Not a mistake that when Wallflowers did "One Headlight" at the MTV Music Awards, Bruce guested! :shh:

16. Oatsdad

I echo - ha! - the comments that the film's a mixed bag.

Interviews with the older musicians? Good.

Construction of the Laurel Canyon story? Messy and not very coherent.

Focus on modern-day concert? Waste of time.

Echo in the Canyon [Blu-ray] (2019)

17. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

i enjoyed some of the movie, but the remakes, while competent, were hamstrung by Jakob Dylan's relatively bland vocals.

18. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Yes, I was happy to see it was on Netflix so I watched and thought it was excellent as well. It was interesting to see Neil Young playing instrumentally at the end. It would have great to hear an interview from him a well.

19. chodad

chodad Hodad

Crosby: "They threw me out of the Byrds because I was an *******" :laugh:

JDeanB and Marty T like this.
  20. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

that bit was funny--it revealed that at least Jakob has a dry sense of humour.

Guy Smiley and Oatsdad like this.
  21. Loved it. Don’t expect a definitive LA music doc. It’s about four bands over Only three years. The new versions of the songs brought It to a new audience.

Well done.

Marty T and TaumpyTears like this.
  22. Petty was Byrds influenced more that anyone else. The Rickenbacker

23. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

He wasn’t there though in the hey day...that’s what the doc is about...he’s wasn’t part of the scene

24. No kidding. But he’s onr the bridges to the future. He moved to LA because of the scene.

Marty T, TaumpyTears and Guy Smiley like this.
  25. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Had Petty come up with the idea, or been approached, he’d have made a perfect host/interviewer/performer for the film. Not sure how his health was at that point, or how far the film was from completion when he passed on, but he’d have been perfect.

His Sirius XM “Buried Treasure” show (Which thankfully still gets played) was a gem for showcasing great old music, including the era/songs in this movie. He clearly enjoyed being a DJ and talking about the songs.

He also started an interview show (“Tom Talks To Cool People”) a year so before his passing. His first guest: Micky Dolenz, yet another who probably should’ve been interviewed for the film (“She” was one of the songs on the soundtrack).

rmath84 and Paperback Writer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.