DCC Archive Echoes/Doug Sax question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I keep hearing that the Syd PF tracks on Ecohes are the best yet on CD by a wide margin. Is this really true? If so what did Doug Sax do different? Did Sax use the *real* 45 Masters for Arnold and Emily or did he use the old EMI 45 compilation reel? I've always thought that Arnold and Emily on CD were taken from 2nd gen tapes. Anyone have any insight on this?

2. Mart

Mart New Member

The sound is much closer to 1st gen, especailly on the older stuff. The more popular stuff sounds good too, but the differences aren't as profound in comparison with previous remasters IMHO. The sonics are quite natural save for a hint of SS sound.

And yes, there's something to be said about the thoughtless random order of this compilation album. I'm not one who usually places much stock in song order but this one could have used some thought. All the hoopla on this topic isn't about some obtuse trivia. The order is quite awkward as PF's voice evolved. OTOH, it is a tribute to the engineer that such diversely recorded tracks were able to be stacked back to back & we critisize the mismatched eras, not the unharmonious recording sonics.

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

SS = solid state?

Doug Sax uses tubes in his mastering...says so right in the liner notes.

As for SQ, I was not blown away by "Echoes," but I've only played it once. I've said it before and will say it (here) again: the stuff from Saucerful just sounds bad. Stereo, mono, remaster, Echoes, whatever. I'd like to hear an original UK LP.

4. Mart

Mart New Member

I obviously didn't read the liner notes. So, I didn't know there was no SS in the audio chain. Or, maybe Sax just adds a single tube stage. I don't know. I just know that I detected a a SS-esque taint. Who knows? Maybe I just don't like the tubes he chose to use. Anyhow, IMHO it was a tad sterile for tubes.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Does this CD sound that much better for the Syd PF stuff? IMO the '94 Piper stereo remaster sounds OK, but the EMI Mono CD sounded horrible. Can anyone confirm that Echoes is the first time that the Masters were used for Emily and Arnold?? I can't sleep until I know I'm hearing the Syd PF stuff in the best possible fidelity on CD out there :)

Chris

N.P. Dylan, She's Your Lover Now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.