Ed Sullivan Classic DVD Sets

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Charlie990, May 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member Thread Starter

Can anyone comment on the Time Life 12 DVD set titled " Ed Sullivan Classics "? How does this set compare to or differ from the Rhino DVD Sullivan set?

Thanks Charlie

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Rhino has edited performances and some really lame Jay Thomas voice overs. "The sixties were a time of major turmoil" Yea, great, thanks Jay.

I don't have the Time Life set but I do have the Beatles set from Ed Sullivan.com. It's really nice. Unedited shows (with commercials!).

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I think the Rhino set is just a more economical version of the Time Life set if you want every show. The Time Life let's you pick and choose, so it may save you money if you are only interested in a few of them. I believe that they all are just re-packagings of the compilation show that aired on VH1, so you are in for some Jay Thomas narration however you go about it. There's a subtitle trivia track on the Rhino set that is chock full o' inaccuracies. :)

Regards,

5. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Thanks to Jamie & the original poster. I did a search for this set, but I never saw the info that Jamie just disclosed. Why, why, why do they think this needs narration? Simply put a screen before each performance stating the name of the act, the song(s), the original air date, and let the performances speak for themselves.

I had high hopes for this set after picking up the Beatles set. It's sad they've been squashed. :sigh:

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Well, people used to complain about "chapter stops" being listed on DVDs as a "bonus feature", but in this case, they are invaluable. :) The Rhino set is a nice compilation for the performances, but they could have fit it on half as many discs if they had used dual layers, and maybe less than that if they had eliminated the unnecessary narration.

Regards,

7. I have the VHS version of this series. It is a very interesting way to view the history of Rock and Roll.

The audio and video of the early TV shows is pretty poor. However, it is fun to see Bo Diddley perform "Hey Bo Diddley" in the 1950's.

The quality of the performances is all over the place. Some lip sync to recorded music, Some lip synce to live music, some performances are 100% live.

The infamous Doors performance is included. On a related note, The Byrds were banashed from the show because Crosby got into an argument with the producer.

John Grimes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.