Eddie Van Halen's health?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Scary quotes from David Lee Roth in this interview...

"I'm the face of VAN HALEN from this point on, most likely. I'm not sure what's happening with Ed [VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen], but he's probably not gonna answer the bell this time. And it's not my place to guess. But we've been in touch. The fellows who I'm working with in terms of my road crew and the amps come from VAN HALEN."

Asked if he is implying that Eddie Van Halen has been dealing with some health issues as of late, Roth replied: "I hear all the same rumors that you do and it's not my place to guess."

DAVID LEE ROTH On EDDIE VAN HALEN's Health: 'I Hear All The Same Rumors That You Do'

2. WarEagleRK

3. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Doesn't sound good. Especially if you read some of the comments.

4. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

To be fair though, any time anyone posts comments anywhere, it's usually not good. Especially on blabbermouth. They're notorious for trolling. Even worse than this forum.

5. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I never know what to believe about Van Halen. The brothers are notoriously quiet and Dave... well, I’m never quite sure when he speaks what’s basic fact or a little exaggeration, although he does seem pretty sure with his comments here. (Although I picture Eddie not being pleased with Dave claiming to be the face of Van Halen going forward.)

I’d be curious to get Sammy’s or Michael’s take on things. They likely have less contact with the brothers than Dave, but they’re usually pretty straight-up when you ask them a question. And with shared connections, I imagine they’ve heard some things that we fans wouldn’t.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's the line that struck me the most. But, you know, Dave is Dave.

The Van Halen brothers have always been very clannish. That's just their way.

7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

All this might explain why we haven’t seen anything from Wolfgang’s album, just a thought.

Sean, krock2009, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I hope Eddie is okay. As much as he pisses me off sometimes, I still love and worship the guy.

9. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

really glad I saw 'em in 2015 ..... finally saw the Wolfgang/Dave lineup.

I hope Ed can get it together and that Van Halen can rise again, perhaps for a proper farewell ....
    They're all old but no one's died so they still have great cards they could conceivably play....
    give the fans what they really want !

10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yikes...…..I hope Eddie is doing well.

11. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

EXACTLY WHAT I FEEL

artfromtex likes this.
  12. WarEagleRK

My first favorite band was Van Halen. They are maddeningly frustrating, but I will never not love them.

13. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

I think the most revealing and troubling part of Dave’s comment is “but [he's] probably not gonna answer the bell this time.”

That’s a reference to boxing. When a fighter goes back to his corner between rounds and doesn’t answer the bell for the next round, the fight is over.

Hoping Eddie is able to beat it or doesn’t suffer horribly at the end and either way, thank you Eddie.

14. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

The last interview I saw from DLR, he said, "I'm not supposed to say anything" and then mentioned Yankees Stadium

15. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

None of us know what's going on with Ed. He's lived a reclusive life for most of the last two decades. I'm sure if he has a health issue going on he's keeping the details to himself and his closest confidantes. Dave dangles some stuff and then says he hears the same rumors we do. Interesting tho that Wolf's record isn't out and that VH staging & roadies are being used for Dave's stint in Vegas. The only thing certain is that Eddie isn't either willing or able to perform right now.

I hope the best for the guy. He's inspired more people to pick up the guitar than anyone and his playing has given me some of the greatest musical memories.

16. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I hope I go before Ed does. I don't want to live in a world without Edward Van Halen.

zebop, evh5150, WarEagleRK and 2 others like this.
  17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Unless they are having non life threatening health issues.I remember seeing VH in the mid 90`s when Alex was wearing the neckbrace.Didn`t Ed have hip and knee problems?

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yes As I recall he had a hip replacement. Not sure about knee problems.

20. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Dude, it’s a part of the life cycle. There’s nothing you can do. It comes for all of us, eventually.

22. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

If you wanted to make an argument that Ed is in very poor health, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence. That said, Roth has been so seemingly callous in recent interviews ("I wasted 10 years waiting around for the guitar player"; "He may not answer the bell this time") that I doubt he knows the full story, with the likely exception being he's been told they're not working together.

How much weight do you put on circumstantial evidence? Is there ever smoke without fire?

I have my thoughts on this one, but I feel better not saying anything.

23. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

There aren't enough words for me to describe the joy that Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth brought to my life. I hear their records and I'm happy and feel young again. My fused spine doesn't hurt as much. My knees creak less. Everything works like it should. Van Halen is the sound of youth, backyard BBQs, hanging with your friends and not having a care in the world. They are the sound of sunny days, cool breezes and driving with the top down and looking at all the pretty girls.

What, if anything, EVH is going thru is his business. If he wanted us to know he'd tell us. I'm going to respect his privacy, put on Fair Warning and hope the good vibes that come off that music redirect to Edward.

24. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Just a heads-up to let folks know WHERE they are being redirected. The story is attributed to American Media,headed by CEO David Pecker. First sentence-"... including one particular pretty woman..."-yeah,Pulitzer nomination in the works.

25. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Time to close this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.