Eddie Van Halen's health?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Not to get off track here but life is unpredictable. Christopher Reeve's widow never smoked a day in her life and died of lung cancer in her 40's. Andy Kaufman died at 35 from lung cancer and he never smoked. We're all exposed to toxins and genetic roulette from the moment we're conceived. He'll Jim Fixx made jogging popular and the guy died of a heart attack while jogging. Life'll kill ya.

2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I would agree as there are never any guarantees in life.....but I do my best to at least try to stack the odds in my favor.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

If Eddie is indeed getting long term cancer therapy, he's probably getting steroids too which can lead to Cushing's syndrome which is swelling in the face and extremities. I had a round of steroids a few years ago for a pretty minor health issue and woke up one morning with my face swollen up like a balloon. Kinda felt like this:

[​IMG]

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Perhaps, but smoking will kill ya a lot faster than life. Continuing to smoke after experiencing any sort of smoking-related illness is foolish, or I guess we could describe it as indicative of a very powerful addiction.

5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I hate to read that Eddie Van Halen isn’t doing too well. The guy practically spearheaded an entire movement in rock music. His whole edge-of-your-seat approach to the guitar was quite an influence on me and it was this approach that has helped me loosen up as a player and not be so stiff.

6. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Indeed. My dad looked totally fine up until three weeks before he died - he'd been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 18 months previously (another non-smoker).

Eddie is truly one of the most influential guitarists ever.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

With all the silence from the Van Halen brothers over the years, I'm not surprised to be reading this. Eddie has dodged some bullets over time but he doesn't have nine lives or even the good genes that Keith Richards supposedly has. But Keith could suddenly get sick as well if his luck dries up or just keel over suddenly. For Eddie to continue smoking or even drinking after what he has gone through was not a wise decision but he is an addict of sorts. I wish Eddie well and hope he can continue to keep the cancer at bay or get rid of it totally but I hope he does the right thing from now on to take care of himself. Prayers to you Eddie. I wish you the best.

8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Again, I say, best wishes for Eddie. He was the person who inspired me to pick up a guitar.

I have a seriously bad feeling about this one though. I hope I’m wrong.

Years ago Eddie called into the Howard Stern show and was saying how it was a metal pick that gave him tongue cancer and not smoking. He also said he was involved with some lab that supposedly cured him and saying that the methods were not exactly “legal”.

I’ve scratched my head at a lot of things over the years at the things that Eddie has said, but I above anything else, as much as I get frustrated at the things that Van Halen has done, I sincerely hope the guy will be ok first and foremost.

9. blastfurniss

Indeed it is. I've struggled with smoking since I was 16. I thought I'd kicked the habit for good but recently picked it up again. I need to drop it like VH did Gary Cherone.

Interesting that EVH is seeking treatment in Germany. I remember Farrah Fawcett sought treatment there and is pure quackery. Didn't Bob Marley try treatment there too? I hope EVH is getting the best legit medical care possible.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I would assume that he has access to the best cancer doctors in the country. If he's going to Germany, might be because his options here have left him with no option.

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Yikes... I hope he gets better soon!

Joti Cover and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Wonder if Michael Douglas told him to go with the 'metal pick' theory?

13. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

This is what I was thinking. If he has to go all the way to Germany for treatment, doesn't that confirm that he has no good options here? Although it still seems odd, considering he should be able to get anything here, for a price, that they can do in Germany. He certainly has the $ so that's not the issue.

14. Fixx had also been a heavy smoker for most of his life, before becoming a jogging guru.

15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Outside of the US there are more experimental treatments available that have not been authorized here in the US but have been ongoing for years in other countries. It is possible that his treatments over in Germany may be less expensive as well.

16. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I've heard there's some new law now that allows people to legally try experimental drugs in the US. If that's the case wouldn't that cover what Eddie is doing so he could get what he wants to try here?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  17. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Mellencamp is another one who is a heavy smoker. I wonder about him as well

GodShifter, Huntigula, 905 and 2 others like this.
  18. blastfurniss

He had a bypass and continued to smoke as far as I know.

David Lee Roth is also a smoker. I remember a photo I think from the 2007 reunion tour of Dave & Eddie lighting them up together. I know Eddie was vaping as of the 2015 tour.

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Whatever the real story is, I wish him the best.

Jimmy B., GodShifter and longdist01 like this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I heard about that experimental treatments law that would allow non approved treatments to be used for people who are extremely ill or have severe cancers that do not respond to regular approved therapies, so this bypasses the laws for the time being which is a good thing for the sick individuals. I agree that this should be allowed for people that are terminal with no other options. If one is terminal and dying, what do you have lose? Some musicians like Tony Iommi went to Europe for stem cell treatment which is not legal in the US but has been used in Europe for a while now. Any treatment that can extend a persons life, ease their pain and suffering is a no brainier to me as far as it being a good idea. As far as what Eddie is doing treatment wise, we only just heard yesterday/today about what he is doing in Germany as far as getting treatment. I would assume since he is of great wealth that he has many options to choose from both in Germany and here in the US. I wish him well along with Alex Trebek and others who are terminally ill.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  21. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Both him and Eddie are major influences on me, and I have celebrated them and their music for what seems like eons. They both worry me, too, because I'm afraid I'm gonna log in here one day or on my Facebook and see that they're gone. My job already knows I'm taking a day off the day we lose Eddie. That's how much his music has meant to me. It sounds wacky, but that's the way it is.

GodShifter and 905 like this.
  22. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, agree with all you said, except, we really don't know if Eddie is "terminally" ill. I sure hope that's not the case!

Panama Hotel and Platterpus like this.
  23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Damn cancer.

Carlox likes this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

If I remember correctly, Ed's drinking caused avascular necrosis, necessitating a hip replacement.

GodShifter and steveharris like this.
  25. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

In case most haven't heard, cancer is a lifestyle disease. Nobody is immune from acquiring it, but everybody can take preventative action -- starting with an excellent diet. Remember, you cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

I wish EVH and everyone else suffering from this disease the very best. I know I've lost too many friends and family members from it, as I am sure almost all of us have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.