Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale (Record Store Day 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kaptain Beyond, May 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaptain Beyond

Kaptain Beyond Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey what’s the deal with this?! As a bit of a freak for the Mellotron i had read this 1975 album is a beaut. But it’s not cheaply available. So i heard about this brand new RSD reissue and when i saw it in a shop today i grabbed it.
    Now i get it home and read on the back that it was re-recorded in 2004! I don’t know how i feel about that. Before i give it a spin, or even crack open the shrink I think i want to hear the original. And perhaps own the original. And how much Mellotron would be on it now, more or less? Anybody heard this? Love to hear about it.

2. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

The original is a beautiful moody record, lots of Mello.
    Gives the feeling of a lush forest.

This reissue is the tangentized version, a practice Froese had those days to lay down new layers of modern sounds on vintage recordings.

Why this version was used and not the original is beyond me.

willy, Quickdraw and Kaptain Beyond like this.
  3. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Forum Resident

I'm not going to beat around the bush here. This is a horrible release. The pressing is a complete garbage. Side A unlistenable with groove distortion, surface noise and clipping throughout. Side B is marginally better, but not much. It's marbled vinyl, but the photo on the obi sleeve is a gross misrepresentation. Instead of the dark emerald green it's actually pale pistachio (others have complained about this too). The obi also fails to state it's the awful remix as mentioned above, not the original recording. Calling it "remastered" as stated on the obi is not the same as remixed. Go to Discogs and look at the comments on this release if you want to see others chime in on this one if you think this is hyperbole. I've tried contacting Eastside Production / Culture factory about the problems with zero response. It's rather sad that this recording didn't get a proper RSD release, but then again I've also gotten burned on a couple of other RSD releases in the past as well.

Kaptain Beyond and The_Windmill like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

They used the redo? You've got to be kidding. :D

Froese did this for several classic albums, so beware, I guess. None better the original.

5. Kaptain Beyond

I couldn’t find the comments about this re-recording/record store day release on Discogs.. could you provide a link? Thanks

6. Kaptain Beyond

Did Froese use Mellotron on the re-do? Is it really that different overall?

7. The_Windmill

Never heard it, never will.

It's not a redo. More a fake remix. When he tangentized old records, he overdubbed new sounds to the original music. The Mello stays the same. What he put on top of that, I don't care about. But I've heard other tangentized material and I can tell you for sure that the blend between new and old sounds it's an abomination, IMHO.
    I doubt this is any better.

Quickdraw and Kaptain Beyond like this.
  8. Kaptain Beyond

Thanks. Anybody heard both? How radically changed is it?

9. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

So Froese overdubbed in new instrumentation on his old songs? If he wants to do that, it's his business, but that needs to be clearly expressed on the album cover.

I recently bought a used original mix of this album for around $40. Side 2 is one of the best of any album I own. Hypnotic and mesmerizing. It clearly influenced David Bowie's Heroes album. Worth the hunt Hoffmanites.

10. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Forum Resident

Overfloater8 and Kaptain Beyond like this.
  11. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Forum Resident

They are substantially different. Froese's remix in 2004 was more like a remake in my opinion. Why he did it, I don't know unless he was looking to cash in with a new interpretation. The original was sublime, mesmerizing and even haunting. Possibly some of the most important and influencial ambient / electronic music ever made. The remake was jarring with a lot of gimmicky overdubs and over-brightening of the score in general - completely changing the tone and subtlety IMO. I guess we'll never really know why he did it, but I think most fans would find the newer remake vastly inferior to the original.

12. The_Windmill

it was basically a copyright move

uzn007 likes this.
  13. david gunderman

david gunderman ZosoDreamer

I believe the April 2022 RSD vinyl release release is Edgar’s original release. Not the 2004 re re tangitized version. I the RSD 2022 release day of and price was good. $25 online after 11am. I picked up at the record that same day. I’m hoping to score tomorrow’s Reims RSD release same way. I don’t see many people picking up this tomorrow.

14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It literally says re-recorded and remixed in 2004 at eastgate studios, vienna on the back.

[​IMG]

15. 24db

24db Forum Resident

it's 100% the tangentized release

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.